Fat guy on a little EUC

Blueblade

On 1/14/2019 at 5:21 PM, Smoother said:

3. Learn the limits of a 480Wh battery pack.  Not the smallest but not big either.

Lets just say i took this advice to heart. :-)

All good points, i was just trying to use the data to learn if my weight puts me right next to the cliff vs a few feet from it so to speak.  

I write code, so I  totally understand the risk of bugs too :-)

7 minutes ago, Blueblade said:

Lets just say i took this advice to heart. :-)

All good points, i was just trying to use the data to learn if my weight puts me right next to the cliff vs a few feet from it so to speak.  

I write code, so I  totally understand the risk of bugs too :-)

Oh yeah, you're next to the cliff alright, but look on the positive side; the view's great up there.;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 8:50 AM, Smoother said:

:roflmao:I did this exact exercise when looking at my first hill.  It looked like Everest to me, but when I put my phone app angle reader on it. it said 5deg.  I thought my app was broken.  5deg looked huge to this newbie.

Yeah, so I was wondering how much steeper of a hill I might encounter over this 12° one by by house... Turns out the steepest street in the world is in New Zealand, and "only" 19°.... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Street

56 minutes ago, Blueblade said:

Yeah, so I was wondering how much steeper of a hill I might encounter over this 12° one by by house... Turns out the steepest street in the world is in New Zealand, and "only" 19°.... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldwin_Street

I've walked up Baldwin Street... Believe me 19° is pretty hard work (either way)!   :o

That was years ago though, before EUC were invented. But next time I am down that way I will be trying it on a few different wheels.

First though I must get around to trying the steepest street in Wellington - Weld Street which tops out at a bit over 16°.

On 2/22/2019 at 10:19 PM, Blueblade said:

My ks14c was willing to climb a 21 degree (I measured it) walking path, with my 182lb on it,  What failed it was the stupid little factory pedals.  I was balanced on the balls of my feet on the front edge, heels 2" in the air, toes almost scraping the ground, and the wheel was crawling, but it felt so dangerous and there was concrete everywhere (especially the 100 feet of it below and behind me) , so I bailed out. With bigger pedals I could have provided more leverage, kept my feet more firmly connected, and achieved a slightly faster and more stable speed.

I'd test my KS16s on it (with my bigfoot pedals) but that path is in Spain (Cabo Roig to be exact) and presently, I'm in England.

5 hours ago, Smoother said:

I was balanced on the balls of my feet on the front edge, heels 2" in the air, toes almost scraping the ground, and the wheel was crawling, but it felt so dangerous

Wow, yes, I bet!  I haven't felt brave/skilled enough yet to attempt the 12° one by my house yet, especially since I would like to video it and collect data during the ascent, after of course getting comfortable with some smaller ones first. Weather hasn't helped either, we've had a fair amount of snow and frigid rainy days lately.

I'm noticing i'm not pushing my wheel that hard [yet], I originally had my max speed set to around 12 mph (this 40 something guy can sprint around 12.5 mph i measured, so I figured that might be a good max bailout speed that I might be able to keep my feet under me with) but it didn't feel like it "wanted" to go faster than maybe 8 or 9 at this limit.  I've upped it to 15, and now it feels like it doesn't "want" to go over 12 (my max speed at this setting = 13 mph, on a slight downhill), but I've never heard any warnings, nor noticed any abrupt tilt back, although I'm not sure what that feels like yet. I'm being very ginger with accelleration, as I learn its and my limits.

Taking my time... skills first, speed will follow naturally. So far I've kept the rubber side down :-)

Yeah @Blueblade caution is a good thing.  And Don't forget you are rather heavy for that wheel.  I would continue to ride it conservatively permanently.  I'm not sure I would tackle that 12 deg. hill, unless you want to find out what it tastes like.

As for it not wanting to go faster, try placing your feet further forward.  Try 1/2" then more if necessary.  Your weight should not adversely  affect a level cruise at a speed within specs.

You will know tilt back when it happens; your toes are forcibly lifted, the pedals drop out from under your heels, and depending on the severity, the wheel will shoot out in front of you to stop you from accelerating any further, and to slow you down (sometimes by forcing you to use your backside as a brake)

Archived