Storing the fast charger

FlyboyEUC

Don't know about storage, but that looks like cord that goes to a mains outlet, right? Replacing it shouldn't be much of a hurdle though (Make sure the cord's unplugged and the input capacitors inside are discharged, otherwise there may be high voltages still present!):

1. Open the unit
  2. Use a multimeter to check that there are no high voltages present (the capacitors, big metal cylinders inside the device, can hold a charge for quite a while even if the device has been unused and unplugged)
    • If there are high voltages there, discharging the capacitors through a resistor is a safe way to discharge them, don't poke both of your hands in there though, you don't want a shock going from hand to hand, crossing through your chest and heart
  3. Locate where the wires from the mains cord go inside
    • Likely there's two wires screwed or soldered to the circuit board somewhere
    • If the casing's metallic, there should be a third wire that's connected directly to the casing, this is the protective earth (also called "ground" by many)
      • in Europe it should be striped yellow-green in color, but don't know about US, make sure to connect the same color back to the casing when connecting the wires back
  4. If you're not sure you can remember where the wires go later on, take a picture just in case, so you can check it later
  5. Disconnect the wires (may require a soldering iron and/or screw driver) and pull out the cord
  6. Cut the cord from below the broken part
  7. Slide the cord back in through the strain relief
  8. Strip the outer layer of the cord and then the wires inside (there may be two or three, depending whether the units' earthed)
  9. Reconnect all the wires inside, make sure the (possible) protective earth wire is the correct one, check your picture if you don't remember which one goes where
  10. Close the unit

You might also use another cord, if the original doesn't seem good, just make sure to use the same type of plug. I have a plastic bag full of old computer (ATX) power cords that I use as replacements when needed.

At least here in Finland, it's legal to replace a damaged cord of 1-phase devices by a layman, if you're certain you know how to do it safely ( https://tukes.fi/en/home-and-leisure-time/restoration-and-renovation/do-it-yourself-electrical-work ). If you feel unsure of doing this yourself, ask around if you know anyone who can do it. I'd do it for you for free, but unfortunately I'm across the globe ;)  Also probably pretty much any electronics/electric/home appliance repair shop can do it for you for a modest fee, since the procedure is more or less exactly the same for pretty much any device (for 1-phase devices).

Archived