Where does this hobby head next??

Dave Veneri

My thinking that some things need to occur to get this hobby to the next level.  I think the manufacturers need to follow the Hoverboard trend and put sensors in the foot pads that have pressure sensors.  This way a sudden dismount disables the wheel.  Second, I’d like to see some kind of suspension as regardless of the tires and wheel size, things are jarring especially for a guy like me at 55.  Handsome as a devil, but still 55.  Backs and knees can be tough going.  I’d also like to see individual separated battery cells possible contained in a lightweight metal housing.  Hoverboards are doing it with great success, combine that with proper UL safety ratings.  Why?  Because we tend to store these things indoors and not in the unheated/ cold garages.  I’ve been flying RC Lipos for decades, these batteries don’t like getting banged around too much.  We used to be very careful of any lipo involved in a crash but at least we could see the pack, not so here....I know LiPos are different then LiOn but as we have seen, self sustaining fires DO occur.  We need serious companies to make the investment as battery sizes are getting VERY big these days and trust me, you don’t want an indoor battery related fire.  Lastly, I’d like to see a quick wheel removal going forward, much like the single swing arm on motorcycles.  Flats are a common occurrence with these wheels so a quick painful repair process is in order......Any other ideas or suggestions?  

3 hours ago, Dave Veneri said:

I think the manufacturers need to follow the Hoverboard trend and put sensors in the foot pads that have pressure sensors.  This way a sudden dismount disables the wheel.  

You have good intentions...I understand your concerns.

I am not sure, jonathanthornhurst or sidestreetreny would appreciate your suggestion. Tricksters in general will not.

Programmable delay mmmhhh, may be. Has been discussed before and does not make unanimity. Get airborne and find that your wheel cut off from under you...= Bad day...

3 hours ago, Dave Veneri said:

I’ve been flying RC Lipos for decades, these batteries don’t like getting banged around too much.  We used to be very careful of any lipo involved in a crash but at least we could see the pack, not so here....I know LiPos are different then LiOn but as we have seen, self sustaining fires DO occur.  

Flying R/C. So have I (two decades), both Giant Scale airplanes ( IMAC precision competitor) and Helis (3D). For the EUC, the situation is not as bad as it seems. The BMS on our wheels from reputable manuf are really good. In R/C where light weight is king, rarely used. There is IMHO an order or two of magnitude less risks with the wheels.

Wheel removal: You have a very strong point!

Suspension: Responsiveness and suspension in EUC as I see it are mutually exclusive, I could be wrong. Coming from R/C its like putting dihedral on a 3D aerobatic plane...

Where I am seriously worried is SINGLE component failure can lead to life changing injuries...

and education of riders... 

Archived