Msx 82v is some battery faulty

stephen

2 hours ago, stephen said:

Buying a multimeter today just a question what setting do i put it on and what pins are +and-  on the msx thx 

@Gaz Bon s answer may be correct but with a multi meter it doesn't matter.  If you get them the wrong way round you simply get a minus symbol in front of the reading.  You can ignore that, and just read the number, but if you must have it just so, switch the leads around

BE VERY CAREFUL NOT TO CREATE A SHORT CIRCUIT (CONNECTING BOTH POSTS TOGETHER USING THE LEADS) OR THERE WILL BE A BLINDING FLASH AND YOU WILL BE NEEDING TO REPLACE YOUR TERMINAL AND VOLT METER LEADS.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You should not pay so much attention (3 pages ^_^) to the voltage transmitted by the controller, they use resistors with 5% accuracy, so the output is the same measurement accuracy. Here is the new MSX controller, when powered by a battery in which is actually 84.2V (measured with a fairly accurate device). 1.8 volt inaccuracy. b89dc127352e.jpg

Edited by palachzzz
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, palachzzz said:

You should not pay so much attention (3 pages ^_^) to the voltage transmitted by the controller, they use resistors with 5% accuracy, so the output is the same measurement accuracy. Here is the new MSX controller, when powered by a battery in which is actually 84.2V (measured with a fairly accurate device). 1.8 volt inaccuracy. b89dc127352e.jpg

Best explanation yet for the voltages. I should sample my 8 Gotway wheels and see what the voltage spread is over this "random" sample.

Stupid me for assuming that they are providing accurate voltage measurements. It's only a "control board" after. :facepalm:

Edited by Marty Backe

30 minutes ago, palachzzz said:

Ok  let's presume i forget about the voltage  do i also forget about my battery only at 95% every time I've charged it or should that be 100% like yours,  mines always 81.6v 95% battery , 

This is this morning's screenshot after been charging all night ..

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions , it's now on charge again and I've got my multimeter at home to test when i finish work .i am trying the things everyone says I'm just baffled.speedyfeet is also asking gotway 😊

Screenshot_20190115_095426_com.cooper.wheellog.jpg

19 minutes ago, stephen said:

Ok  let's presume i forget about the voltage  do i also forget about my battery only at 95% every time I've charged it or should that be 100% like yours,  mines always 81.6v 95% battery , 

This is this morning's screenshot after been charging all night ..

I really appreciate everyone's suggestions , it's now on charge again and I've got my multimeter at home to test when i finish work .i am trying the things everyone says I'm just baffled.speedyfeet is also asking gotway 😊

Screenshot_20190115_095426_com.cooper.wheellog.jpg

As I've mentioned before, I've never paid much attention to the voltage.

Except for my EWheels MSX (with the protection diode), all my Gotway (and non-Gotway) wheels always show 100-percent after a full charge. My MSX always shows 97-percent.

So unless your wheel has the diode protection circuitry I would expect 100-percent.

20 minutes ago, palachzzz said:

So, to find out which one is yours, you need to take voltmeter and check battery voltage and charger voltage right after disconnecting the charger (at full charge)

Yes i will do that tonight when i get home it's on charge now while I'm at work

I was trying to check the voltage on the charger today but my multimeter needles don't reach far enough in can i put a paperclip in the the plus and minus separately ofc or will i blow myself up 😀 also not plugged in to mains 😀jeeez 😀😀

Edited by stephen

22 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

@Marty Backe What happens when you charge up to 95% then find a big hill and ride down it?  Will the wheel beep and warn you that you are over charged? Will it charge the wheel to 100%? 

Really depends on the hill. If at 100-percent I've experienced severe tilt-back after traveling 15-seconds down a slope.

95-percent will not cause a problem until the battery is fully charged. It might take 500 to 1000 vertical feet of steep downhill riding to charge it up to 100-percent. I've seen a 30-percent charge from a 4600-ft vertical mountain decent.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

So guys we might have a close to this thread here's what WE have found out , my wheellog app never shown above 82v and still doesn't lol ,so today i went out and ran the battery near low (no measured miles as i kept changing the modes to hard and medium so i could run the battery down and msx bug resets when you change modes ,  i give it a big long slow charge afterwards

I i bought a charge doctor to measure input/output of charger  with your recommendations of how to do that ,,, thanks 😊,,

Also bought a multi meter to check voltage  of wheel when fully charged ( the best thing i did to make me smile again 😊)

So my conclusion is 

1 the wheellog app is 2v out and doesn't display 100% battery either

2 charge doctor shows output at 83.2v when just connected to wheel after long charge

3 slow charger outputs 83.3v just connected to slow charger

4 fast charger outputs 83.5v just connected to fast charger

The last pic is the multimeter on pins of charge port after the full long charge on the msx charge port shows 😊 83.9v but still only 82v on wheellog Ggrrr, i think that's near enough, so it's rather the chargers don't output 84v just a bit lower as in 3 and 4 , so I'll just have to get used to me been 200 lbs riding soft tyres and living in the UK lol.

I've learnt allot from this and appreciate all your help guys any further comments welcome  

@Marty BackekeBackeBBacBacBackekeBackeBBacBaBackekeBackeBBacBacBackekeBacke

IMG_20190116_000505.jpg

IMG_20190115_234000.jpg

Edited by stephen
  • Like 2

There is something to be said about the learning process. Same thing goes when you have a wheel failure. You really learn about your wheel when you rip it apart. Helps with future wheels too. So now we can tag you was the battery-level expert and send all future newbie battery questions to you :thumbup:

There's still hope. You can learn to ride on a firmer tire, and start cutting back on the snacks :ph34r:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

There's still hope. You can learn to ride on a firmer tire, and start cutting back on the snacks :ph34r:

I actually laughed out loud when reading that 😀😀 we'll see😀

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/16/2019 at 2:22 AM, stephen said:

I actually laughed out loud when reading that 😀😀 we'll see😀

A little over a year later... I was discussing this post with my friends today.
A lot of MSX riders here only get their wheels to charge to around 83.2V-83.5V or 95%.

How is your wheel behaving these days?

4 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

A little over a year later... I was discussing this post with my friends today.
A lot of MSX riders here only get their wheels to charge to around 83.2V-83.5V or 95%.

How is your wheel behaving these days?

Yup still 95%ish , it goes down to 80% real quick then evens out, my 16x I can ride for miles and only uses a bit , I get about 30 miles from the msx till it hits 30% but the last 30% I get another 20 miles, it seems like It's still out somewhere maybe the board? I'd rather it show all the power at the top end though 👍

21 hours ago, stephen said:

Yup still 95%ish , it goes down to 80% real quick then evens out, my 16x I can ride for miles and only uses a bit , I get about 30 miles from the msx till it hits 30% but the last 30% I get another 20 miles, it seems like It's still out somewhere maybe the board? I'd rather it show all the power at the top end though 👍

That's how my MSX behaves as well and I get 35-40 miles total. I can get more if I slow down a bit.

10500km total on the MSX now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mike Sacristan said:

That's how my MSX behaves as well and I get 35-40 miles total. I can get more if I slow down a bit.

10500km total on the MSX now.

In a way I'm glad it's just not me 😁

On 1/16/2019 at 1:30 AM, stephen said:

Ps! I couldn't delete martys name it just kept going lol 🤔

So this is how he ramp up all those miles...he just keeps :roflmao:

• Like 1