Z10 or is 18XL

Barrylomont

Looking to step up from ninebot e+... and would love to hear your preference one vs the other....Jason likes KS and is not happy with ninebot company and said z10 has quality issues and not selling them currently. Would love to hear your thoughts  ....from everything on line it doesn't look like I can lose going w/ either one

13 hours ago, Barrylomont said:

Looking to step up from ninebot e+... and would love to hear your preference one vs the other....Jason likes KS and is not happy with ninebot company and said z10 has quality issues and not selling them currently. Would love to hear your thoughts  ....from everything on line it doesn't look like I can lose going w/ either one

You’ll lose getting a Z10 😄 

I had never tried one before and decided to pick one up from a reputable website with warranty and returns, staying away from gearbest and AliExpress, but the z10 I received STILL was a brick. It did not turn on, and I tried the deep sleep recovery process(es) with no luck. Both Battery voltages were 4volts. Dead

After my horrendous experience with the Segway miniplus, where ALL THREE of my minipluses stopped charging within a week(got one, it malfunctioned, returned, the return malfunctioned, then the return for the return malfunctioned) and now this z10, I completely distrust ninebot/Segway. 

Get the ks18xl and rest worry free

13 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

You’ll lose getting a Z10 😄 

I had never tried one before and decided to pick one up from a reputable website with warranty and returns, staying away from gearbest and AliExpress, but the z10 I received STILL was a brick. It did not turn on, and I tried the deep sleep recovery process(es) with no luck. Both Battery voltages were 4volts. Dead

After my horrendous experience with the Segway miniplus, where ALL THREE of my minipluses stopped charging within a week(got one, it malfunctioned, returned, the return malfunctioned, then the return for the return malfunctioned) and now this z10, I completely distrust ninebot/Segway. 

Get the ks18xl and rest worry free

There's no denying your experience, but as a counterpoint there are a lot of happy Z10 owners out here.

37 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

XL

Nope, IMHO. The MSX pedals are higher with a larger dihedral angle. In my experience of riding a few different wheels, the MSX is superior than any other wheel for this kind of trail riding.

11 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Nope, IMHO. The MSX pedals are higher with a larger dihedral angle. In my experience of riding a few different wheels, the MSX is superior than any other wheel for this kind of trail riding.

I agree. And will add that the MSX is also better on trails because of it's software balance response to bumps ... or lack of response to bumps. B)   But you cheated because the question was " Z10 or XL" :P

I wounder what post Marty was referring to any ways?:D

4 hours ago, that0n3guy said:

I have a ks18 and z10, both in great shape with very little miles, I'm looking to sell one so when you decide hit me up :)

I’m looking for a z10! 

I have a Z10, it is great, and I’ll ride it as long as I can keep it running, but I can’t recommend it.  There have been reports from two different wheel distributors of out of the box failure rates on the Z10 around 10%.  Add to that rumors that Ninebot is exiting the euc market entirely to focus on that sweet, sweet escooter business and just no.  Go with a KS18XL.

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

There's no denying your experience, but as a counterpoint there are a lot of happy Z10 owners out here.

It’s just so ironic that I had just asked @Jason McNeil if he still had any Z’s left and he was telling me about the failure rates and I was reading numerous forum posts about failures out of box. And as soon as curiosity begged me to buy one, despite staying away from the websites where the failures were sent from, I STILL acquired a bad Z10. 

Consider yourself lucky if you get a working Z10 (straight from the box without the shipper verifying it works before sending it.)

I just feel like it’s expected to get a bad batch or at least have some complication getting it working. Complete bias-I know- but come on, the irony!!! 

32 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

It’s just so ironic that I had just asked @Jason McNeil if he still had any Z’s left and he was telling me about the failure rates and I was reading numerous forum posts about failures out of box. And as soon as curiosity begged me to buy one, despite staying away from the websites where the failures were sent from, I STILL acquired a bad Z10. 

Consider yourself lucky if you get a working Z10 (straight from the box without the shipper verifying it works before sending it.)

I just feel like it’s expected to get a bad batch or at least have some complication getting it working. Complete bias-I know- but come on, the irony!!! 

I'm certainly not denying the crappy Z10 production units. It's so strange that a wheel which by all appearances is the best designed and manufactured EUC being made, has the most problems and a growing reputation of being a Lemon. What the hell happened to Ninebot?

I do feel fortunate that mine works, and I would feel nervous about buying one direct from China.

Sucks that you got one of the bad ones :(

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm certainly not denying the crappy Z10 production units. It's so strange that a wheel which by all appearances is the best designed and manufactured EUC being made, has the most problems and a growing reputation of being a Lemon. What the hell happened to Ninebot?

I do feel fortunate that mine works, and I would feel nervous about buying one direct from China.

Sucks that you got one of the bad ones :(

I feel blessed as well. My Z has not had any issues but with my luck after making  this comment it probably will brick out today. 

6 hours ago, JBoo said:

I have a Z10, it is great, and I’ll ride it as long as I can keep it running, but I can’t recommend it.  There have been reports from two different wheel distributors of out of the box failure rates on the Z10 around 10%.  Add to that rumors that Ninebot is exiting the euc market entirely to focus on that sweet, sweet escooter business and just no.  Go with a KS18XL.

As much as I hate to agree it makes sense NB would reallocate their resources away from the niche EUC market and apply it to the omnipresent escooters. From a business stand point both R&D and the production of escooters is far less expensive than EUCs and the net profit is much greater.

It would be interesting to learn about the R&D and production costs of the Z compared to designing and manufacturing a new escooter model. 

11 hours ago, JBoo said:

Ninebot exiting EUC market?  Where did you hear this?

I find it hard to believe a forward looking company would exit this early stage market after gearing up for imminent EU launch... doesnt make sense at all.. as such Id distrust such commentary... unless you can provide a legitimate source maybe?

13 minutes ago, RayBanMonster said:

I find it hard to believe a forward looking company would exit this early stage market after gearing up for imminent EU launch... doesnt make sense at all.. as such Id distrust such commentary... unless you can provide a legitimate source maybe?

That’s why I said rumor, because it’s unsubstantiated ;)  This was suggested in another thread discussing the high failure rates of the Z.  I agree, it seems like a strange thing to do in the face of Ninebot’s very public announcements regarding EU availability; however, you have to weigh that against how they have behaved so far (high failure rates, distributors getting no response from Ninebot, etc.) and the fact that the euc market is trivial next to the escooter market.  All of this combines into a fairly ugly picture for anyone thinking of getting a Z10, so if you have $2000 that you can just piss away then, sure, piss it away on a Z10; otherwise, go with what seems to be a much safer bet.

8 hours ago, Michael Hernandez said:

@Nevin@Tec-toyz.com located in Santa Clara, CA has a few Z10's in stock right now. I have bought from him in the past. He's knowledgable and reliable.

When I was looking to buy one very recently I checked his website and didn't see any. Does he have inventory that is not visible on the website? 

Side note, I got the KS-18XL in the end. 

@Barrylomont I just upgraded from my Ninebot One S1 recently. I was looking at the Z10 or KS-18XL as I wanted greater range, speed, and weight capacity (I'm 6'2", 250lb+). At first I was looking at a midrange like the 16" wheel and I'm kind of wishing I had. 

After talking to Jason at ewheels about the Z10 I went with the KS-18XL. I like this wheel. I like it a lot. The main thing I'm struggling with after a life on a 14" wheel and then jumping to 18" is it feels totally different. I'm having to relearn how to ride after being confident one my nimble S1. The KS-18XL has way more weight higher up, and I'm not just talking about my tubby butt. It is more than double the weight of the S1 and substantially taller. The height is also something to acclimate to. With the S1 it rose up to about the level of my calf. KS-18XL comes up to almost my knee. This makes my little turns I used my ankles/feet not really possible. When turning, or even going straight, you'll notice something between your knees kind blocking your movement, or at least reminding you that it is there. 

All the things above are not negatives but just things to acclimate to. the experience is different. I feel more stable on the larger wheel. I don't fear bumps, debris, or most road conditions as much on the KS-18XL. The ride is way more comfortable and I just enjoy it a lot. I still have a little affection for my 14" wheel as it is super nimble. I could ride it around in all the tightest spots with confidence and it took very little effort to turn (being so light). 

In the end as I can't speak to the Z10 since I don't own one I really really like my KS-18XL as we continue to get to know each other. She needs a name but is still nameless.

1 hour ago, RayBanMonster said:

43 minutes ago, JBoo said:

That’s why I said rumor, because it’s unsubstantiated ;)  This was suggested in another thread discussing the high failure rates of the Z.  I agree, it seems like a strange thing to do in the face of Ninebot’s very public announcements regarding EU availability; however, you have to weigh that against how they have behaved so far (high failure rates, distributors getting no response from Ninebot, etc.) and the fact that the euc market is trivial next to the escooter market.  All of this combines into a fairly ugly picture for anyone thinking of getting a Z10, so if you have $2000 that you can just piss away then, sure, piss it away on a Z10; otherwise, go with what seems to be a much safer bet.

I see that Ninebot has released an improved Z10 trolley handle along with a new headlamp. This suggests that they are still expending resources on the Z10 which I take to be a good sign.

24 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I see that Ninebot has released an improved Z10 trolley handle along with a new headlamp. This suggests that they are still expending resources on the Z10 which I take to be a good sign.

I’ve seen the thread about the improved headlamp, but where did you see they improved trolley? 

17 minutes ago, JBoo said:

I’ve seen the thread about the improved headlamp, but where did you see they improved trolley? 

Watch the video in this link

Archived