GW MSX vs KS XL, acceleration and Motor S curve

RockyTop

First off I like both wheels and I am not here to tell you that one wheel is better that the other. There are strong opinions both ways and the people with those opinions are not crazy or finding faults where there are none. 

The truth is these wheels are very different. Switching from one wheel to the other shows obvious changes in reaction in you and the wheel. 

The following is observation, research and educated guessing. I could be wrong. 

Relatively Speaking: 

KingSong 18XL This wheel is very refined and uses advanced software.  

1) The software allows a lower spike in amperage to achieve the same acceleration. Instead of one quick high spike In amperage it gives a longer burst of lower amperage. (Per correction time unit)

2) The software also aids the rider in creating acceleration. When you first lean on an XL the wheel hesitates to accelerate at first. It allows you to get in front of the wheel and then ramps up the power to catch you. When switching from the MSX to the XL this hesitation, dip and ramping up is very obvious to me. After a few seconds of adjusting to the wheel I think,”WOW!, This thing has pep!” You can roll and twist and throw yourself off balance and the wheel just catches you....... Untill you maneuver too quickly. It takes time for the wheel to catch up. This results in an unexpected jolt of force or a momentary loss of personal balance and pressure against the pedals. In the world of motor controls this action of going from a stop, rounding up to a steady acceleration then reducing the acceleration to a plateau of a steady speed is called the “S curve”

Over all the system tends to give the rider a smoother more intuitive ride. It also gets more out of less. More mileage and great acceleration out of smaller board components.

The one negative observation that I have found is that at high speed hitting a bump can set off a series of miscommunications. The hesitation, the lack of something to push on caused by a dip in the pedal that results in a rush of acceleration or braking that I did not intentionally request. This problem can usually be remedied by riding like a sane person. 

This wheel is best suited for people that enjoy the finer things like a smooth intuitive ride with options like speakers and lift handle cut off.  It is less suited for people that say things like “ Hey! .. You want to race?” Or “ I bet I can jump over that missing man hole cover”  

MSuper X

This wheel does not have the fancy software. It uses a larger more powerful board. Power saving and amp spike reduction be damned. You do not have the exaggerated S curve to get you going. When switching to the MSX from the XL most people (beginners especially) complain that it takes soooo much more pressure on the toes to move the thing. It is actually kinda sluggish! When you start to lean on the MSX the wheel immediately starts to compensate for your actions. This disallows you to lean forward making acceleration difficult. The wheel will not allow you to get off balance. The solution is to let yourself fall forward on the wheel without putting pressure on your toes. Then once you are leaning apply pressure to your toes. You could say that the XL has an automatic transmission ( the S curve)  and the MSX has a clutch. ( you fall forward then put pressure on the toes.

When switching from the MSX to the XL I forget and treat the XL like I would the MSX. I fall forward then apply pressure to my toes only to get a hesitation. I then apply more pressure fearing that I am going to fall on my face. By that time it takes off like a rocket. WOW! This thing has pep. The MSX requires more riding skills on your part and in exchange leaves the decisions to you. It does not guess your intentions or aid you in them. It remains indifferent. 

So witch is better?

The XL is more refined with better fit and finish. More options like speakers, lift handle cut off, and it comes with a mud guard. It gives a more pleasant Intuitive ride at speeds below 25 mph. ( I love the thing) 

The MSX is a no nonsense, you do the driving wheel. You have to man handle the thing in turns,  braking and acceleration. It has a larger board that allows higher continuous amperage.  It accelerates and  brakes faster. It tends to be more stable at speeds above 25 mph........(and love it more ....... unless I am cruising behind my wife at 12 mph.:sleep1:)

Very interesting, thanks!

28 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

1) The software allows a lower spike in amperage to achieve the same acceleration. Instead of one quick high spike In amperage it gives a longer burst of lower amperage. (Per correction time unit)

If that is based on app current measurements, especially from a Gotway wheel, these are about as accurate (and comparable between brands) as... whatever analogy to something completely inaccurate works for you.

You can at best compare Gotway wheels and treat the current numbers appearing as mostly meaningless, but reliable parameters.

33 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Very interesting, thanks!

If that is based on app current measurements, especially from a Gotway wheel, these are about as accurate (and comparable between brands) as... whatever analogy to something completely inaccurate works for you.

You can at best compare Gotway wheels and treat the current numbers appearing as mostly meaningless, but reliable parameters.

I am not certain about the GotWay readings. I work with motors. When looking on the oscilloscope Some motor controllers put out high peaks and low valleys while others are more squared off. You get the same average amperage without the spikes. Because of this I suspect that the GW app is reading the spikes and not the average. We know that GW is not worried about the spikes so why bother changing the signal? You can tell by the sounds the two motors make that the two systems work very differently. Wine vs rumble. 

You tend to see the high empty spikes on a controller that is over sized for the motor. 

@RockyTop great write up man. Appreciate your perspective. I must be more than I realize like the snooty Anglophile who drinks his Merlot from a crystal wine glass with the index and thumb lightly grasping the stem, and pinky finger raised to the sky. Well, here's to regiment and beauty. Cheers. :D🍷

2 hours ago, Lutalo said:

@RockyTop great write up man. Appreciate your perspective. I must be more than I realize like the snooty Anglophile who drinks his Merlot from a crystal wine glass with the index and thumb lightly grasping the stem, and pinky finger raised to the sky. Well, here's to regiment and beauty. Cheers. :D🍷

:confused1:  I always pictured you as one of those snooty people. Are you saying you are not? :roflmao:

Archived