New Legislation in Denver

pArmitage

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/01/07/denver-dockless-scooter-rule-changes/

These rules apparently don't just apply to scooters. "This doesn’t apply to toy scooters. It’s only for single-rider, stand-up electric vehicles with top speeds up to 20 mph."  Now, what to do about models of unicycle that go literally twice that fast... It's only a matter of time.

This might have an effect on the Chooch videos.   However it is a form of acceptance. 15 mph is a little slow in the bike lanes. I was thinking 20 MPH. 

I was stopped locally by a cop for going 30 MPH in the bike lane. ( wide open space beside a 25 MPH road) I was told then that the speed limit was “either 15 or 20 but not 30 , SLOW DOWN !!” :angry:

1 hour ago, Girth Brooks said:

@RockyTop I haven't had any negative encounters with the cops yet here in the greater Nashville area, but I feel it's coming soon with all the negative attention e-kick scooters get lately.

I would say that all of my encounters so far have been reasonable. 

1) Georgia park ranger (Fort O) Said, “ I don’t know what that thing is but you can’t ride it on the grass.”  Fair point. I was taking a short cut to the restroom. He would have scolded a bicycle too.  -No discrimination-

2) Chattanooga River walk park ranger. Stopped me and said that I could not ride a motorized vehicle on the 30 mile walkway. I showed him the Segway classification. ( shall not be discriminated in any way a bicycle would not be discriminated against)( TN 55-53-102 to TN 55- 53-105 )He said he would get back to me, “carry on”     -Just Questioned- 

3) UTC college police - Eight or so police officers including the chief were standing in front of the station when I pulled in to return lost keys. They showed interest so I gave them a demonstration. They loved it. -No discrimination-

4) Down town Chattanooga on MLK. While going 30 MPH in the bike lane ( wide road, no driveways in this area, 3 foot devider to traffic) A COP pulled me over and did not really know what to do with me. He said If I were on the road the speed limit would be 25 given that I was in a bike lane it was either 15 or 20. He was not sure. 30 was certainly too fast. “SLOW IT DOWN !” He never even acknowledged my form of transportation.   -No discrimination- 

No scooters here yet. Things might change when they get here.

Our city wide bike lanes are a joke. They start and end in the worse places and do not get you from one place to another. You can’t even walk from one place to another. Years ago I refused to walk across a bridge with heavy traffic. The sholder on the bridge was 1-1/2 feet wide. ( white line to rail) I climbed on the side rail and walked the 8” wide railing 200 feet to the othe side. If I fell to the right I would have ended up in the river fall to the left I would have been in traffic. (Amnicola boulevard 45 mph speed limit)  I was leaning to the river. 

The reporting may have been a little lazy by not including the full definition from the bill.

Per the bill:

(19.8) Electric mobility scooter or EMS means a stand-up scooter with two tandem wheels, designed to transport only one person, and that is powered by an electric propulsion system having a top speed of 20mph.

https://denver.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=3772126&GUID=5D59FE93-C9E2-4F22-B493-EC6AF9F8A8FB&Options=ID|Text|&Search=Electric

Archived