Is Dualtron the only high speed scooter brand worth buying?

Girth Brooks

My son got a chain driven, 1200wh - 36v lithium e-scooter for Xmas. It's just a toy for him to beat around the neighborhood and in the yard. It was cheap, but it has a high fun factor (especially on wet grass) as ol' Dad here has found out by playing around on it recently. So now I've been searching relentlessly for info on purchasing high speed, high quality electric kick scooters for myself. I am not going to be buying one as a primary need other than thrashing on it and having fun, but I want it to last a bit. I am wanting something with enough torque to achieve wheel spin in dirt/grass if that is even possible for an electric scooter with a 200 pound rider. I know that Dualtron seems to be the top brand to purchase, but there's so many other choices with similar specs out there. A particular brand that has also caught my attention is Nanrobot (https://www.nanrobot.com/ ) Their scooters seem to be a rip off of Dualtron but they offer very similar specs, and their RS7 model has the LG batteries that seem to be top choice. They have support here in the United States and offer spare parts for purchase as well. They seem to have good customer support as well because they have promptly answered all my question quickly and easily. I have no prior knowledge of these scooters so if any of you all have some info to share, I would be be very grateful.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to the forum. I hope I can be of help.

I owned a Dualtron scooter for a while and it does just as you want. I am a 200 lb man and my old scooter had no issues causing tire spin in dirt. It was a blast to ride and I enjoyed every moment of it. I would recommend them 100% as a recreational device. As a daily commuter, I can say it wouldn't be worth it. The version of Dualtron you get will affect the speed, torque, and range you have. The one I had used two 800w motors and has a control board that can let you select how touchy the motor is (acceleration).

Specifically pick one with enough clearance on both wheels to allow for heat dissipation.

Other than it being a fun machine. Maintenance can be a minor problem and might require some Q&A with other owners. Such as, how to change the tire or fix a flat.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@Girth Brooks for your payload, definitely go with at least a single motor 1kW nominal power, or better, dual motor machine.

(FYI, Dualtron is an e-kick scooter model series, Mini Motors is the brand, a Korean one, like many e-kick scooter companies)

Some of the e-kick scooter riders here in NYC have gone with either Qiewa; Chinese generic; and (if you're resourceful) DIY e-kick scooters, with seemingly much success (FYI, any model, even Dualtron, will require some maintenance work, as is the nature of scooters). 

But the e-kick scooter riders here mainly ride Dualtron models (a favorite of e-kick scooter crazed Singapore as well, before the banning).

If you're on Telegram, you can ask them yourself on the NYC E-Board chat, as some of them are on there.

Too bad we don't have a proper WePed US distributor, as their R, and now upcoming RR e-kick scooters (being dual motors) would be excellent candidates as well. :(

• Like 1

@houseofjob I really appreciate the input. I think I am just going to save some coin and get a Thunder. It seems that Minimotors is the way to go with all the support, easy to purchase spare parts, and industry knowledge. I am good with a little maintenance too. Makes it more of a fun hobby IMO. 

• Upvote 1

If you are looking for something with power and reliability, you might also want to look into the King Song N1-D - I can't tell you where you might get one in the US sorry, but we have the details available here for our New Zealand customers.

Build by King Song (who make excellent electric unicycles) it comes in at a lower price point than equivalent sized Dualtrons. It has 1326 Wh battery capacity to drive dual 1000W motors. This thing has so much power that I can break traction on pavement and I am a 250 lb rider! This may be because it has off-road (knobbly) tyres - I am currently looking for some road tyres to see how it handles then - I suspect it will maintain traction then (though I may not).

It is built well and requires only the normal level of scooter maintenance. The headlamp is good, but the mounting bracket for it could do with a bit of reengineering - but that is the only negative I have to say about it.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Girth Brooks said:

@The Fat Unicyclist I read some of your earlier posts about the King Song model a few days back and was very interested, but after much research I see none available to US customers sadly.

Not so, our local EUC.NYC stocks them here.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

@Siggy @houseofjob the price point of the Dualtron is the only hold up for me at this time, but it is ultimately the brand I am going to purchase if I get a scooter. I am still riding the new off of my Z10 which I absolutely love so I am in no rush. I am going to ride that scooter pretty damn hard when I get it. I want to know I will be able to buy parts when they are needed and Dualtron has that covered better than all others.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have a new respect for the Z10 after seeing a French rider make it look like riding on a cloud. He was equipped with a sort of jet fighter helmet, in short he looked phenomenal.

Im pleased to hear youre enjoying yours too.

I believe going with any gen 3 dualtron (Thunder, Spider, D3) is a solid choice

They seem to be differentiated by weight, power and battery level, which increases with price.

I don't know about you but in the UK we have looming legislation which may follow the likes of Singapore. This means there would be restrictions most likely on weight, speed, and size of scooters.

These legislations are always looming it seems - however, when spending so much on an item it is something to factor in too.

• Like 2

@Girth Brooks it ain't cheap, but you won't ever look back and wonder if you made the right decision. Incredible to be accelerating, strongly, up a steep hill.

As far as maintenance support, while penetration in the US market is new, there are a few online US retailers that provide excellent support for parts, consulting, and repairs, if you want to ship to them. Personally, I fix everything myself. In that, you can order anything in the way of parts (or modding bling) from alibaba.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Siggy said:

I believe going with any gen 3 dualtron (Thunder, Spider, D3) is a solid choice

They seem to be differentiated by weight, power and battery level, which increases with price.

Also, suspension. And more expensive hasn't always meant better suspension, though it's subjective I guess.

On our Mini Motors NYC demo this past summer (prior to these new models), I thought the Dualtron II suspension was significantly softer in cushioning bad terrain than the Ultra. Diehards in Korea will say they're still chasing the OG Dualtron I suspension feel, which apparently the recent Speedways attempt.

2 hours ago, Siggy said:

1) This is effectively an OEM alibaba scooter with KS stickers on it (kinda like zero and turbowheel scooters)

Had a feeling, since there's a lot of that going on right now, many of the scooters all look like each other for a reason.

2 hours ago, Siggy said:

2) These require high maintenance- and sadly are not widely available in general. 

Yup. Unfortunately, e-scooters are more fickle than our EUC's, so no matter what brand you buy, even Mini Motors / Dualtron, parts and servicing will be required. 

No other e-kick scooter has parts more widely available than the Mini Motors Dualtron line, much to the thanks of the Singapore & French rider demand I think.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Siggy I feel fortunate to have the Z10 as my first wheel. It seems as though many who are used to "traditional" EUCs have a hard time with the physics of riding the Z10 being so much different than what they learned on. I got mine from a US distributor and haven't had any of the reported issues you hear about yet (KNOCK ON WOOD) with the "grey market - AlliExpress" units people get. I bypassed the suggestions of others to buy a beginner wheel to learn on. I knew I was going to buy a Z10 for certain and decided I'd rather learn on the wheel I wanted be on instead of wasting money on a wheel I'd grow out of quickly only to spend nearly $2k more right after. It was a very good decision I made in hindsight. I am going to take the same approach with this scooter purchase. I am going to save and buy the one I really want to own. Winter here in Tennessee is a soggy, muddy mess so I will be waiting until Spring is closer when I purchase it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dwallersv said:

dang, man, if that passes, there should be a revolt!

My money is on France revolting!lol

I'm glad things are actually moving forward in the US -must be a joy to ride so free

The UK is in foetus stage of scooters lol We don't even rental scooter options yet :( Let's hope the govt follows your lead (as per usual)

48 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Also, suspension. And more expensive hasn't always meant better suspension, though it's subjective I guess.

I concur. Of all the scoots I tried there - Inokim OX was by FAR the most comfortable - it was like gliding on a cloud - just WOW

https://inokimuk.com/products/ox

Sadly its 1 motor and retails for £1700 here so ROI may not be as good - plus even with a 45km max speed is a single motor enough??

D3 suspension is not that great -however it has 15 modes you can adjust and different cartridges to buy. Sadly I don't know enough to comment further on its adjustment

Yup. Unfortunately, e-scooters are more fickle than our EUC's, so no matter what brand you buy, even Mini Motors / Dualtron, parts and servicing will be required. 

More moving parts indeed - however suspension, riding on two wheels and a seat is an advantage amongst others

No other e-kick scooter has parts more widely available than the Mini Motors Dualtron line, much to the thanks of the Singapore & French rider demand I think.

This is key. Customisation really widens the scope and level of trust one can put into a scooter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Girth Brooks said:

I am going to take the same approach with this scooter purchase

Great advice

I would also recommend you try before you buy!

The Parisian trip was a blessing, although it has made the decision process more complicated lol

So many scooters, so little budget :)

• Like 2

No. It only comes with the middle of the 5. The others are optional, $100 a pair. I'm planning on getting one step softer, and should probably check  my contact at minimotorsusa and get on with it :D

Edited by dwallersv
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/18/2019 at 7:10 AM, Girth Brooks said:

@dwallersv when you bought your Thunder, did it come with all 5 of the different suspension rubbers?

mmm, my dealer insisted & got my agreement to my new D3 being shipped with the hardest rubbers fitted ...this will be because of problems he's encountered with the many (cheapest option) D2 MX scooters he has distributed in NZ ...under or out of warranty, it make no difference to him, his time is valuable, he's learnt what works long-term & what doesn't.

l take my D3 delivery next week, so l will start a new learning curve on my first Dualtron ...and NZs first D3

You are absolutely correct, l started out on 3 microscooters & yes, it's a very expensive journey ...researched & aimed straight at the best when l realised the direction this e-scooter craze was going :dribble:l looked at Zero 9 & 10X, Nanrobot & TNE Q4-V4 Plus :wub: ...BUT l was worried l would end-up in serious trouble with water leaks, bits falling off & marginal backup service/parts.

BIG e-scooters are starting to come in ...too early to say if or when there will be a crackdown ...but the pc NZ news media are behaving like rabid starving pigs at dinnertime, nothing surprising about that, fortunately for us, there is always lots of other news stories to fill the headlines ...so far we've been instructed to wear helmets & keep left everywhere.

Edited by stephenbadger
2 cents worth
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just bought a NanRobot D5+ from Amazon = $1550.  It shipped from California and I got it in 5 working days.  I did research for 3 months and watched many hours of YouTube videos.  The choice was daunting.  I'm 81 years old and wanted something to get to my mailbox which is a 1/2 mile from home.  Too lazy to walk and hated to get out a car for the short trip.  I couldn't justify Dualtron's cost.  I'm happy with my choice but I don't have any thing to compare to.  I wish I could rewrite the Owner's manual, though.  I did own an Uberscoot 36V , lead acid battery, chain drive for a week before I bought the D5+.  For me the criteria for a different scoot was:  1.No chain drive  2.Dual wheel drive 3. Minimum  speed 25mph  4.Must have Li battery.  The D5+ meets all those requirements.  Speed mode 1 rides at 12mph, mode 2 rides at 22mph mode 3 gets to 36mph.  I ride in mode 2, non-turbo, dual motors.  On 20° inclines I punch TURBO and can actually accelerate up the hill up to the max mode 2 speed of 22mph.  Overall quality is good.  There is some steering head play but I attribute that to the folding mechanism.  I would think all foldables are similar.  The braking system is incredible!  They call it EBS, I call it ABS.  Takes a few rides to get used to, though.  The throttle controller is similar to Dualtron's and I used their owner manual to figure out how to negotiate the modes.  After owning theD5+ for a month I would still buy it.