18x2.3 tire in KS-18L

Seba

• 3 weeks later...

I've made today first 9 km with this tire and I have slightly mixed, but in general positive feelings. Tire, in general, is very quiet. It works unexpectedly well on snow - on a 5 cm layer I get almost the same traction like on Schwalbe Mad Mike that is much more noisy. I didn't expected such good results, I thought that this tire will be somewhere between Mad Mike and factory semi-slick Kenda or Chao Yang. So I'm surprised. But there must be grain of salt and this is the precision of tracking. I found this tire to be somewhat tricky in terms of direction tracking. It has problem with keeping the desired direction, especially when riding on paving stones. In other situations when I wanted to turn, it tried to keep straight direction and I had to use my knees. Generally nothing you can't control, but I got used to much better tracking of original tire. Maybe the problem lies in rather high pressure - I pumped it to 3,5 bar. I'll try with lower pressure and check if it helped.

Edited by Seba
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely getting this one whenever mine wears out. It seems like quite a popular BMX tire, as they also have it for sale in a shop in Ireland.

I suppose the reduced diameter helps a bit with range and acceleration, but not sure if the extra threads have the opposite effect.

It definitely looks grippier, which would be great for me as sometimes I need to go over grass.

On 2/12/2019 at 9:53 PM, cbgti said:

And what about the confort?

It's similar in comfort to the original tire, and it depends on inflation pressure. For me 2.5 bar works best.

45 minutes ago, Jean Dublin said:

I suppose the reduced diameter helps a bit with range and acceleration, but not sure if the extra threads have the opposite effect.

It definitely looks grippier, which would be great for me as sometimes I need to go over grass.

I don't think there is any noticeable difference in acceleration or deceleration. There's certainly more grip on every surface. I've more than 400 kms on the counter on this tyre and there are no problems so far. When I'll pass 1000 kms, I'll write an exhaustive review. I am still curious about the strength of the carcass and whether it won't fail. This is why I inspect the tire after every ride for signs of wear or carcass break. So far, so good.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Seba said:

For me 2.5 bar works best.

Yes, sounds right, 2.5 bar (36 PSI) also works best for me. (30 PSI when it was colder, wet with a bit of ice on roads)

This graph from eWheels is quite accurate on what seems to be the best pressure.

Recommended-Tire-Pressures.jpg

Source:

https://www.ewheels.com/guide-tires-appropriate-pressures-electric-unicycle/

Edited by Jean Dublin

To be honest, when it comes to tire wear, the old tire doesn't seem to be very different than mine with just 1700km (as per app). The middle thread still is a bit elevated from the rest, but may go soon, besides that, it's similar.

IMG_20190218_153555.jpg

IMG_20190218_153608.jpg