Jump to content
US69

KingSong KS18L owners: Please vote here for a 18XL question!!!

KingSong KS18L owners: Please vote here for a 18XL question!!!  

30 members have voted

  1. 1. Are you interested to upgrade your KS18L???

    • I own a KS18L and i am interested in a KS18XL and want to buy a KS18XL!
      9
    • I own a KS18L, and generally interested in the KS18XL, BUT i dont want to buy a complete new wheel just for 518wh more!
      6
    • I own a KS18L and i am very interested in a option to upgrade it to XL 1554wh or even XXL 2036wh!
      14
    • I own a KS18L and that's more than enough!!! Nothing else needed.....
      6
    • I am from european continent....
      21
    • I am from american continent or somewhere other than european...
      4


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Hy KIngSong KS18L owners….

I am interested in a Special  viewpoint regarding the KS18L and XL!

Please do me a favor and vote on this poll!

Multiple Choice answers possible

Thanx in advance

 

Ulf

Edited by US69
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, US69 said:

Hy KIngSong KS18L owners….

I am interested in a Special  viewpoint regarding the KS18L and XL!

Please do me a favor and vote on this poll!

Multiple Choice answers possible

Thanx in advance

 

Ulf

As I suggested to Tina earlier a fair trade in program is of interest. Could argue it as an early adopters reward for the first ranges issues. Then resell refurbished wheels to people that can't afford a full priced L or CL version. Maybe as a trainer wheel, to bring in more people for Kingston brand. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

2036Wh XXL? Is that something officially being considered by KS?

 

NOPE...a 2036wh 18XXL is NOT considered by KS!

Please all take this just as what it is...a poll to see how the interests are.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, US69 said:

 

NOPE...a 2036wh 18XXL is NOT considered by KS!

Please all take this just as what it is...a poll to see how the interests are.

BTW is 2kwh+ even legal 😉 I mean in case of a battery failure I don't dare to think what insurance you need to cover the damages when you have taken out 5x5 square city block with your mobile nuke.

And how are @Marty Backe ever going to explain a need for a new wheel yet again... Oh hold on. He is the most expiranced on the i need yet another wheel I guess. Sorry Marty, I just had to let it out. I couldn't help myself. 😊

On the serious note though, a wheel that is IP67 classed so you can hose it down or rinse it to wash off dust, dirt and salt would be nice. And of course official rated to be able to handle a rain shower. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Unventor said:

BTW is 2kwh+ even legal 😉 I mean in case of a battery failure I don't dare to think what insurance you need to cover the damages when you have taken out 5x5 square city block with your mobile nuke.

And how are @Marty Backe ever going to explain a need for a new wheel yet again... Oh hold on. He is the most expiranced on the i need yet another wheel I guess. Sorry Marty, I just had to let it out. I couldn't help myself. 😊

On the serious note though, a wheel that is IP67 classed so you can hose it down or rinse it to wash off dust, dirt and salt would be nice. And of course official rated to be able to handle a rain shower. 

You do know about the 2400wh Monster, right :) I've been riding mine for 2-years now and it hasn't exploded yet :blink1:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t qualify to vote given that I bought the XL. but..... I would be very interested in an upgrade if I had bought the L. ...... I am all for the XXXL 2400wh super upgrade.  ( At least while I am still strong enough to lift it.)  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

I don’t qualify to vote given that I bought the XL. but..... I would be very interested in an upgrade if I had bought the L. ...... I am all for the XXXL 2400wh super upgrade.  ( At least while I am still strong enough to lift it.)  

Sorry, yeah, forget to add an option like „allready upgraded or bought the XL“ :-) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would love to start seeing capacities in the 5 kwh (5000 wh) or more range. Again, I'd prefer anything new to have interternally prebuilt hot swap battery packs. Regardless of size, the ability to carry one or two spare batteries would be a step in the right direction. Additionally, having a heat shield between the battery and the rest of the wheel would be a great idea too. Then, if a battery catastrophically fails and causes a fire, it won't damage the entire wheel and can be repaired easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Esper said:

Then, if a battery catastrophically fails and causes a fire, it won't damage the entire wheel and can be repaired easier.

Trust me - no shield will protect the wheel from thermal runaway of 5 kWh battery :P

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Seba said:

Trust me - no shield will protect the wheel from thermal runaway of 5 kWh battery :P

Hey! One can hope right?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Esper said:

Hey! One can hope right?

You're right - I'm so sorry :crying: But there IS hope! We can't forget that wheels other that flooded V10 doesn't catch fire regardless of battery capacity! :clap3:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Espen R said:

3-4000w motor,

   I am not convinced that we are actually utilizing the 2000w motor yet. Gotway hits the 2000w MSX motor with a 300 amp board and a 1545wh  battery. The question becomes, How many watts does it take to balance an unruly 250 pound person?  How much heat can a board dissipate?  How much leverage can You gain against the wheel? and How much traction can the tire get? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

   I am not convinced that we are actually utilizing the 2000w motor yet. Gotway hits the 2000w MSX motor with a 300 amp board and a 1545wh  battery. The question becomes, How many watts does it take to balance an unruly 250 pound person?  How much heat can a board dissipate?  How much leverage can You gain against the wheel? and How much traction can the tire get? 

The XL has a 2000w motor with 4000w peak, so I just thought that a even stronger motor would help on a heavier wheel with a heavy load, didn't think much about how they would solve problems like heat. Guess the Kingsong Expedition will remain a dream:)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Espen R said:

The XL has a 2000w motor with 4000w peak, so I just thought that a even stronger motor would help on a heavier wheel with a heavy load, didn't think much about how they would solve problems like heat. Guess the Kingsong Expedition will remain a dream:)

Winther expedition solves the heat problem 😎

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Espen R said:

The XL has a 2000w motor with 4000w peak, so I just thought that a even stronger motor would help on a heavier wheel with a heavy load, didn't think much about how they would solve problems like heat. Guess the Kingsong Expedition will remain a dream:)

Right. The balance and utilization of power is more important than the power capability. I am sure wheel manufacturers could probably put 6000 watt motors on their wheels, but they haven't most likely for good reason. Having said that, I don't know that 2000 watts is the actual Max "harmonious" power. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Winther expedition solves the heat problem 😎

Kingsong Expedition, the first heavily assisted Antarctica crossing:D 

2 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Right. The balance and utilization of power is more important than the power capability. I am sure wheel manufacturers could probably put 6000 watt motors on their wheels, but they haven't most likely for good reason. Having said that, I don't know that 2000 watts is the actual Max "harmonious" power. 

 

Apart from heat, I'm quite sure Kingsong wouldn't appreciate to be associated with the first 160 kmh (100 mph) crash on my beautiful KS Expedition:(    

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Espen R said:

Kingsong Expedition, the first heavily assisted Antarctica crossing:D 

Apart from heat, I'm quite sure Kingsong wouldn't appreciate to be associated with the first 160 kmh (100 mph) crash on my beautiful KS Expedition:(    

You bet, they wouldn't. Especially since its only a marketing time before some software genius figures out how to bypass the limiters they are sure to have in place regardless of a wheel's power.  Ouch! 🤕🤕🤕🤕 😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My poll responses

1. I own an 18L and was very interested in the 18XL; so I bought it. 

2. I have no interest in upgrading the range on my L, because I bought an XL. The weight variance makes them feel like totally different wheels even though they look exactly the same. I enjoy the inherent conundrum of having the same, but very different feeling wheels. Am I gradually becoming a wheel hoarder :huh:? I don't know, but, god I hope not :(

3. Where I am based is not-so-subtlely announced in the profile pic :D:D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

You bet, they wouldn't. Especially since its only a marketing time before some software genius figures out how to bypass the limiters they are sure to have in place regardless of a wheel's power.  Ouch! 🤕🤕🤕🤕 😁

Sadly, the human race still have a long way to go before we can call ourselves intelligent:( After 46 years, my stupidity still amazes me, so without an AI implant or something, I wouldn't be safe on a more powerful machine than what I have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18L is pretty beefy...I'm pretty happy with it, and can't imagine a heavier wheel being any better for me.
I just did a tire check after ignoring it for about 3 or 4 weeks....it did NOT lose any air. Pretty good wheel (aside from my initial lock up issues, the app issues, the screws stripping a bit, the lift sensor still not working after recalibration). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Espen R said:

Sadly, the human race still have a long way to go before we can call ourselves intelligent:( After 46 years, my stupidity still amazes me, so without an AI implant or something, I wouldn't be safe on a more powerful machine than what I have.

Intelligent enough to know you have limits. Wise enough to try and respect them. Prudent enough to consider outcomes before and after a decision, or as you put it; be amazed at your own stupidity. Now, that's what I call evolution. :)👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Circuitmage said:

18L is pretty beefy...I'm pretty happy with it, and can't imagine a heavier wheel being any better for me.
I just did a tire check after ignoring it for about 3 or 4 weeks....it did NOT lose any air. Pretty good wheel (aside from my initial lock up issues, the app issues, the screws stripping a bit, the lift sensor still not working after recalibration). 

:D your 18L would feel light to you if you spent an hour or less on an XL. The XL is such an amazing wheel to ride; so stable and feels so constantly powerful. I think it might grow on you.

Having said that, If your coming from a 16" to your first 18"wheel then I think that the 18L is bound to be your immediate favorite, because it will feel more familiar to a 16" rider than will the 18XL.

For example, a few weeks ago I let @Ruslan test out my 18L and my 18XL. His last wheel was a KS16S. He rode around on the L for a good while, and was loving every second of it. After a while I suggested that he try the XL. He did. For about a minute. He dismounted the XL reaching for the 18L, proclaiming his easy preference for it :laughbounce2::laughbounce2::laughbounce2:. In a way, it was good that he had the XL for comparison with the L; two 18" wheels. Otherwise, he might have been subconsciously referencing his experience on the 16S as a comparison point with the L; if referencing his prior wheel was unavoidable, but having the XL for comparison added some balance and perceptive depth.

However, If you are like me, and have been primarily riding 18" wheels pretty much your entire career then I think the 18XL will likely be the favorite, because 18" wheel riders subjectively favor power,  stability, and range a bit over handling and high-strung acceleration characteristics; though handling and acceleration are important to 18" riders as well. Plus, even with the weight difference it still manages to handle very much like the standard 18L.

To be sure, I love my 18L, but the 18XL is my new favorite wheel, and probably will be for a very solid span of time :efee8319ab:👍

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×