Concern over UPP 52V 13Ah battery capacity.

Aplam

For the past two years i have been using a 16Ah 14S LiPo brick for my commute to and from work, roughly 15mi. Being a lazy sack, I use around 8000mAH on my LiPo pack.

Going to the UPP pack, I'm minorly concerned because my charge time with a 2A power brick is roughly 4 hours (read: 8000mAH) going half way, or 7.5mi before it starts to sag in power. This is a brand new pack so I expect some quirks, but is this typical for a LiIon based pack versus a LiPo based pack? Did I get duped on battery capacity?

23 minutes ago, Aplam said:

For the past two years i have been using a 16Ah 14S LiPo brick for my commute to and from work, roughly 15mi. Being a lazy sack, I use around 8000mAH on my LiPo pack.

You mean you use ~8Ah of your 16Ah pack for your 15 miles trip. Or you use 8Ah for 7.5 miles and recharge inbetween?

Going to the UPP pack, I'm minorly concerned because my charge time with a 2A power brick is roughly 4 hours (read: 8000mAH)

Charging an 8Ah pack with 2A requires more than 4 hours - during the first stage up to somehing about ~85% charge the battery is charged with constant current of 2A, then the maximum voltage is reached and the battery is charged with decreasing current. https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Just charging the 16Ah pack for 4 hours with 2A gives him 8Ah, if this charging started somewhere below 35%...

going half way, or 7.5mi before it starts to sag in power. 

You mean the new, after 7.5 miles almost empty 8Ah pack provides less power than the old, 16Ah pack with ~50% charge after 7.5 miles? If so that's imo very normal. 

The 16Ah pack has the additional advantage of having the double amount of parallel cells (less internal resistance) and can by this provide more "power" at the same voltage (~charge level) as the 8Ah pack. Especially at 50% charge level the 16Ah pack will be much more powerfull than an almost empty 8Ah pack.

35 minutes ago, Aplam said:

This is a brand new pack so I expect some quirks, but is this typical for a LiIon based pack versus a LiPo based pack? Did I get duped on battery capacity?

LiPo's are just a special kind of Li Ion cells. Also for the li ion cells like 18650 exist many different "types" ("chemistry" used)... So they all (could) have some "special" behaviour.

I'm not sure i got what you wrote, but if so i'd guess it's just a smaller pack provides less power than your twice as big, especially when almost empty.

Archived