KS18XL range report...

Rama Douglas

This wheel is amazing. Just logged 62 miles today which included a climb to the top of Griffith Park in Los Angeles and I had between 20%-30% battery left afterwards. Not sure how accurate the app is with distance, but my legs are jello! Oh and I weigh about 185...

IMG_20190108_112522270.jpg

That's pretty good range,especially on a hill laden ride.I'll bet you're happy you waited for the XL over the L.:cheers:The range telemetry from the wheels is usually off a little to the minus by up to 10%,at least on my KS and GW wheels, I always wear a GPS watch for comparison.Did you ride up to the Hollyweird sign? 

1 minute ago, Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" said:

That's pretty good range,especially on a hill laden ride.I'll bet you're happy you waited for the XL over the L.:cheers:The range telemetry from the wheels is usually off a little to the minus by up to 10%,at least on my KS and GW wheels, I always wear a GPS watch for comparison.Did you ride up to the Hollyweird sign? 

It's absolutely batty to get this much range! I wonder if the route was actually that long. I'll have to get a tracking app to verify these distances. I didn't go to the sign. I went up the back side past the helipad and came out by the Greek, then over to the river trail, then to Burbank, Noho, Van Nuys, then back to Noho...🙃 And yes, thank you again for bending my arm enough! Soooo happy to have all this range!

22 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

It's absolutely batty to get this much range! I wonder if the route was actually that long. I'll have to get a tracking app to verify these distances. I didn't go to the sign. I went up the back side past the helipad and came out by the Greek, then over to the river trail, then to Burbank, Noho, Van Nuys, then back to Noho...🙃 And yes, thank you again for bending my arm enough! Soooo happy to have all this range!

You sound like a wheel newbie with all your excitement :D Welcome to the long-range club.

As @Jrkline "Wheel Whisperer" suggests, is that 62-miles as reported by the app, or GPS? Most of the KingSong and Gotway wheels are about 10% off. That would put you closer to 56-miles.

That range seems consistent with what I did last week and I also had ~20-percent remaining. And I also had about a 500-foot elevation gain.

The KS18XL does have a marvelous range :thumbup:

Now if I could just get the app to work well...😬 It keeps saying I have to update firmware to reconnect to the wheel. I follow the commands, and then I get a don't quit update in red at the bottom, and nothing happens... Anyone have any suggestions? I already re-installed the app. It worked briefly, then said again to update firmware, and it gets stuck. This is the KS app. Wheel log not connecting either...help?...

7 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

Could just get the app to work well...😬 It keeps saying I have to update firmware to reconnect to the wheel. I follow the commands, and then I get a don't quit update in red at the bottom, and nothing happens... Anyone have any suggestions? I already re-install do the app. It worked briefly, then said again to update firmware, and it gets stuck.

KS's new App is in the offing, tried it out on Monday, but couldn't get past the registration. Some brilliant mind programmed a 10 second timer from sending the email/SMS, takes a minute to get the notification, in the meantime.... please try this version of the App & ignore the prompts to update.

https://images.ewheels.com/KSv1.7.apk 

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

KS's new App is in the offing, tried it out on Monday, but couldn't get past the registration. Some brilliant mind programmed a 10 second timer from sending the email/SMS, takes a minute to get the notification, in the meantime.... please try this version of the App & ignore the prompts to update.

https://images.ewheels.com/KSv1.7.apk 

Thx Jason. I'll try that tonight after work...

Ok, regarding the app: I tried the 1.7 app and it behaved the same. Wanted me to upgrade firmware, I hit cancel and repeatedly it would not connect to the wheel. Wheelog either. I do remember the KS app displaying something about inmotion while running yesterday. I thought, maybe if I remove the Inmotion app from my phone...so I did and now it seems to be connecting no problem. When the hell are some real app writers gonna step up with solid platforms?!? Too weird, but at least the KS app is working again...just tried again and having issues connecting. I powered off the wheel and app, and connected again. I love the wheel, but man you'd think for $2150 the app(s) would be solid. Lame to have to power down just to reconnect ... Anyone else having these issues? 

1 hour ago, Rama Douglas said:

Ok, regarding the app: I tried the 1.7 app and it behaved the same. Wanted me to upgrade firmware, I hit cancel and repeatedly it would not connect to the wheel. Wheelog either. I do remember the KS app displaying something about inmotion while running yesterday. I thought, maybe if I remove the Inmotion app from my phone...so I did and now it seems to be connecting no problem. When the hell are some real app writers gonna step up with solid platforms?!? Too weird, but at least the KS app is working again...just tried again and having issues connecting. I powered off the wheel and app, and connected again. I love the wheel, but man you'd think for $2150 the app(s) would be solid. Lame to have to power down just to reconnect ... Anyone else having these issues? 

I have noticed that the KingSong app seems a bit finicky when connecting. But I use WheelLog 98-percent of the time.

14 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I have noticed that the KingSong app seems a bit finicky when connecting. But I use WheelLog 98-percent of the time.

Wheelog wasn't working either, while initially it did. Such a great wheel, however, the app situation has me feeling a little bit like that initial 18L scrotum flap 😬 Inmotion's app wasn't great, but it always worked. I guess I only really need it to work to unlock it to 31 after 25 more km...

26 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

Wheelog wasn't working either, while initially it did. Such a great wheel, however, the app situation has me feeling a little bit like that initial 18L scrotum flap 😬 Inmotion's app wasn't great, but it always worked. I guess I only really need it to work to unlock it to 31 after 25 more km...

You do need to be sure that the KingSong app isn't running in the background. WheelLog has consistently worked for me.

I haven't been hearing about widespread app connectivity issues with the 18L. Some people do have phone related issues sometimes, but I think all the mainstream phones work.

Well I was about to post here that the app has been behaving fine, but after this morning, my speed got locked again down at 12.5mph. I had to fuss with it again for about 15 minutes to get it to connect and then change the speed back to 50km/hr. Why the hell would the wheel revert to slow max speed on me when I haven't changed it in the app? Almost threw me off this morning with an unexpected tiltback during acceleration. I was thinking I would have had to call an Uber as I was commuting to work today in Pasadena and wouldn't have made it if I couldn't unlock speed again. This is the second time it reverted speed back on me. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a faulty wheel..?!? Everything seems fine until I open the damned KS app...😒

7 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

Well I was about to post here that the app has been behaving fine, but after this morning, my speed got locked again down at 12.5mph. I had to fuss with it again for about 15 minutes to get it to connect and then change the speed back to 50km/hr. Almost had to call an Uber as I was commuting to work today in Pasadena and wouldn't have made it if I couldn't unlock speed again. This is the second time it reverted speed back on me. I'm beginning to wonder if I have a faulty wheel..?!? Everything seems fine until I open the damned KS app...😒

Don't use KS app. EUC is a fantastic piece of hardware that works best without any software other that internal firmware :lol: 

2 minutes ago, Seba said:

Don't use KS app. EUC is a fantastic piece of hardware that works best without any software other that internal firmware :lol: 

Problem is I am a lighting enthusiast and I like to change it up. As far as I know, only the KS app allows you to control those parameters. Still, just makes no sense why it would keep reverting down to 20km/hr...

Just now, Rama Douglas said:

Problem is I am a lighting enthusiast and I like to change it up. As far as I know, only the KS app allows you to control those parameters. Still, just makes no sense why it would keep reverting down to 20km/hr...

From what I remember, this app reverted back to default speed settings when there it was unable to connect with King Song servers.

4 minutes ago, Seba said:

From what I remember, this app reverted back to default speed settings when there it was unable to connect with King Song servers.

Lame! For $2,150 I want zero issues other than normal upkeep...☹️

To be more verbose - each time you start the KS application, it checks on KS servers whether you have accepted the conditions for removing the factory speed lock. If no response is received (eg. no Internet connection), any modification of the wheel parameters will also restore the default speed limits. So when you play with lights and there is no Internet connection or KS server doesn't respond, you will also revert speed settings to default 20 km/h.

Just now, Rama Douglas said:

You know... You paid for wonderful wheel, but app is for free :D

3 minutes ago, Seba said:

To be more verbose - each time you start the KS application, it checks on KS servers whether you have accepted the conditions for removing the factory speed lock. If no response is received (eg. no Internet connection), any modification of the wheel parameters will also restore the default speed limits. So when you play with lights and there is no Internet connection or KS server doesn't respond, you will also revert speed settings to default 20 km/h.

Thx for the information!

I had zero issues with Inmotion app...

17 minutes ago, Rama Douglas said:

I can certainly understand your frustration, but these are Chinese manufactured products designed by Chinese. We have a long EUC record of incompetence here, particularly with the apps. Really, don't expect anything to change, even if it costs $5k. You'll live a calmer life if you accept this reality and move on :D

Honestly, I rarely have the need to (never really) change anything but the pedal hardness, and even that is done rarely. What exactly are you changing all the time that requires you to use the KingSong app?

Archived