Can a 14s serve as an all round wheel?

Dave Veneri

15 hours ago, Smoother said:

The reason most of us are not wheel hoarders like @Marty Backe and @houseofjob is that we have more pressing uses for our limited funds. YMMV

LOL, woah woah, while I do buy and sell wheels like the stock market, don't put me in @Marty Backe territory; I'm only ever 4-6 wheels deep at a time :D also, see @Tishawn Fahie and his museum home of EUC, eboards & escooters

6 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

LOL, woah woah, while I do buy and sell wheels like the stock market, don't put me in @Marty Backe territory; I'm only ever 4-6 wheels deep at a time :D also, see @Tishawn Fahie and his museum home of EUC, eboards & escooters

I've only owned 15 wheels. You've got me beat by a mile as I scroll your signature off my screen :lol:

KS14s and KS18L owner here. I'm almost embarrassed to admit it, but I actually ride my 14 more. But that has everything to do with where/how I ride. I ride to my business post office box just about every day. It's only about 20 city blocks away. I've been riding the 14 for almost a year (I think I'm right around 1000 miles) and I just find it more fun to ride in town. There are plenty of areas where I need to pick it up real quick to go into a shop, or over something, and I find the 18 a bit of a pain in those scenarios. The battery lasts forever and it's plenty powerful for riding around town. With that said, when I want to ride long bike trails or country roads, I choose the 18 because of the speed.

It did take me a few days to get the hang of the 14, it is definitely a bit tougher to learn on. However, because it was my first one, just about any other wheel is pretty easy to hop on and go. I must say that I don't understand all the "instability" issues everyone else seems to have with the 14. Maybe I've just been riding it so long that I rarely have issues. In fact, I like its maneuverability in tighter spaces in comparison to the 18.

It just comes down to where/how you'll be riding it. And like someone said above, once you buy one of these things, you'll always want to upgrade. :) 

3 hours ago, sonicslp said:

KS14s and KS18L owner here. 

In my experience having a powerful 14 incher and an 18 incher is about the perfect riding solution, go big and go small.

I do believe the 14 inchers have several advantages over 18 inchers such as cost, crash worthiness, weight, and a more appealing form factor.

If you were to only have one wheel, and depended on it to do "as much as possible", which of your two wheels would you choose?

30 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Offtopic: I really hope the MCM6 will be a 15 inch, 3 inch wide tire 2000W powerbaby!:w00t2:

I'm hoping the next breakthrough wheel from Gotway is a 12-inch powerhouse. That's a niche that needs to get filled.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

If you were to only have one wheel, and depended on it to do "as much as possible", which of your two wheels would you choose?

I would like to say I'd choose the 18 because I actually love riding it on the open road and long trails. But for my situation, I kind of already have chosen, I ride the 14s about 10 times more often. Actually, my 18L is over at a buddies house right now, he rides it more than I do! If, however, I knew I would be limited (by budget) to one wheel from the beginning, I probably would have gone with the 16s. I've ridden one and, for my situation, I think it would be a great all-arounder. Decent speed, reliable (another reason the 14s appealed to me) and not too big for my daily work use.

I'd like to see "them" produce a 17 inch 3.5 wide  tubeless tire directly off the front wheel of a motorcycle. That technology is extremely mature, they've had tubeless 17 inch radials for 30 years now.

3 hours ago, sonicslp said:

I would like to say I'd choose the 18 because I actually love riding it on the open road and long trails. But for my situation, I kind of already have chosen, I ride the 14s about 10 times more often. Actually, my 18L is over at a buddies house right now, he rides it more than I do! If, however, I knew I would be limited (by budget) to one wheel from the beginning, I probably would have gone with the 16s. I've ridden one and, for my situation, I think it would be a great all-arounder. Decent speed, reliable (another reason the 14s appealed to me) and not too big for my daily work use.

The 16s is my go-to wheel, it just does everything well. 

Below are all the wheels I have owned and ridden.  This is just my opinion of course but I love the 16s the most.

ninebot one - kept as a practice wheel

ks14s - kept for teenage daughter

ks16s - keeping until I find something I like better (possibly the coming ks16x)

KS18L - sold

MCM5 - sold

32 minutes ago, Yunicycle said:

The 16s is my go-to wheel, it just does everything well. 

Below are all the wheels I have owned and ridden.  This is just my opinion of course but I love the 16s the most.

ninebot one - kept as a practice wheel

ks14s - kept for teenage daughter

ks16s - keeping until I find something I like better (possibly the coming ks16x)

KS18L - sold

MCM5 - sold

Why did you sell your KS18L?

On 1/6/2019 at 10:11 PM, Dave Veneri said:

Trying to avoid the need to upgrade after I buy scenario.

Short - buy KS-18XL. In many aspects it behaves like a smaller wheel in the positive way, still keeping all the pros of 18" wheel. Of course there are some cons associated with 18" wheel, but if we're talking about one, all-round wheel, King Song KS-18XL is the best choice IMO. Now, as an evolution of KS-18L, it may be considered matured & reliable design. I'm sure you won't regret.

On 1/7/2019 at 9:36 PM, Lutalo said:

Long story short: 

Recreational Group ride = 18XL every time

Commute downtown to a meeting/to the office = 18L every time

Because of snowy winter here, I use my old KS-16C just because it's equipped with Mad Mike tire. With this tire it's a perfect snowrider, but it's a pain in the a*s to switch from KS-18L to KS-16C. I couldn't resist this difference and decided to upgrade tire in my KS-18L to make it a good snowrider too. Simply it's a big discomfort to me to step from KS-18L to KS-16.

So your case is also my case. When I get my XL next week, I will use KS-18L for commuting and winter riding, XL for all other rides (recreational but also commuting combined with recreational). And I see no need for a larger wheel. Now, after almost ten thousand kilometers ridden on a EUCs I can say XL is my "sweet spot" wheel. Combined with quick charger in my backpack can give me a whole day of riding because I can quickly recharge the battery when resting/eating in a restaurant, pub, gas station, refuge etc.

5 hours ago, Yunicycle said:

KS18L - sold

To keep a 16s? The 18XL is the only wheel that could inspire me to consider unloading an 18L for another wheel. Any possible reason for a choice like this is way over my head :wacko:. But it is also why the EUC community is so vibrant, and why so many choices are, and need to continue to be available.

There is figuratively no way in heaven or hell that I can imagine choosing a 16 anything over an 18L. 16" wheels in general get zero consideration from me as a wheel choice.

Maybe, I would consider a smaller wheel if I lived on the upper floors of an apartment building where the elevator was frequently out of service. There, see? I managed to imagine a somewhat realistic life situation that could make me consider a smaller wheel. :D 

As an early adopter of wheels, maybe decades from now I will develop a burning urge to curate the history of these very simple, but magnificent devices by building a museum filled with every EUC that has ever existed in their honor. But for now I am no wheel collector; I buy only what I know I will ride. My current collection is small and consists only of 18" wheels.

Perhaps that could change if I ever decided that I needed a wheel for piddling around my neighborhood in a four block radius. The range of the rumored 16x whatever is inconsequential to me as a customer because I have found 16" wheels to be uncomfortable and too vulnerable to the many ripples, undulations, and craters that plague DC's unpredictable terrain.

Any handling/torque, portability, etc., benefits of a 16 or 14 over an 18 to me are academic. I tool around on both my 18L and 18XL running errands and quite frankly, I can't remember a encountering situation where I have had to lift my wheel during errands for any reason. The handle comes in handy because I trolley a lot when I piddle around running errands; but, lifting? No. If it was actually necessary for me to lift a wheel as much as others claim to need to lift theirs, then I would also buy a smaller wheel. 

Furthermore, any time I have ever had to lift my 18s has been brief; like, loading and unloading the wheel when I transport it by car. In some buildings the stairs might be quicker. Oh, how I suffer waiting a bit longer for the elevator to avoid climbing three or more flights of stairs with a 50lb wheel. What an annoying modern inconvenience; this, waiting for elevators stuff.:D

As long as there are 18" wheels like the 18L/XL to ride I seriously cannot forsee ever being in the market for a 16" anything. Having said that, I do enjoy piddling around on them. Coming off an 18", the 16" wheels feel light, quick and very nimble. I have had so much fun playing around with them. But then I hit the road with it and long to have back my 18; the fling is over. Honey, can I come back home please?:D

So, while there is little chance that I will be plunking down any hard earned cash on a 16x whatever wheel, I will be sure to borrow one to toss around on at the next group ride ;)👍

I have a 16s and a mcm5. For your use case as it is now (it will change as the addiction takes hold) either one would be great. 

I take 20 to 25 mile rides on the mcm5 and its fine.  15mph to 20mph is comfortable and it is heavy enough to feel like a larger wheel. I also take it to work and that route is the same everyday so I know where all the bumps and holes are. This where I feel comfortable enough to hit the beeper which seems to be a hair over 25mph at 82% charge at my riding weight. 

In contrast the 16s is much more stable and also has the large pedals installed which makes it very comfortable. I wish it went just a little faster but it is my preferred wheel between the two for going to work. 

I still need an 18 (2 18s would be ideal) but I'm also pretty short so a 16in hits my legs where an 18 does for 6ft and above people. 

Off work I prefer the mcm5 but I also like riding it off road in the hills and nothing compares to its climbing ability. For a fun wheel that can also go 30 miles if need be I dont think you can find a better option. 

If you think you will go shopping or to places where you need to trolley the wheel the kingsong trolley is the best (IMO) there is. 

For long distance comfort and safety for unexpected road hazards I'm sure an 18in is awesome but even my 16 feel heavy to turn and toss around if I'm just playing in a small area. I haven't pulled the trigger on an 18in yet simply because I dont need one for my commute and off work I'm usually playing in the dirt and I know an 18in would be harder to climb the goat trails. 

If the new 16 from kingsong has a 1554wh battery, 2.5in tire and the 2000w motor they can take my money! 

For short rides and on pavement, then yes. And by short, i mean several miles here and there. This would be much less range than the 14S can handle per charge. A 14D might be better served for such short trips. A little wheel like that is great if you just wanna stroll around the neighborhood or at your local park.

But if you're going to be riding 10 miles plus at a time, then i would consider 16-18 inch wheels. 

Archived