Electric wheel on carnival cruise ship

Daniel Short

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/2/2019 at 3:49 PM, who_the said:

20190602_154904.jpg.63538939a679ff69edc32708a37c0bcd.jpg

ada50214416bbac6d30d0df7fe8e824b26982813-1S_1280.thumb.jpg.59a1196e8146d7bc434846d264b5ef9f.jpg

4851f3cddc1be91767e17e0fd2f30ce582bc306c-4S_1280.jpg.f50a9e71e4eb0ff27cb678f1c0f24b46.jpg

just researching this for our upcoming cruise and ran across this thread. awesome.  So I noticed you were on a carnival ship, but the prohibited items webpage says you can't use it onboard. I guess you were just being a rebel!! Did you have to declare it with Carnival?

A BIGGER concern of mine is the port authority of whatever port I'm visiting. I know in the Mexican ports, you get screened by the Foreign Port Authority before entering the dock. And then screen again by the ship while entering the ship which would be moot if I can't get the wheel there and have to leave it in Mexico. DId you have any issues whatsoever with the port??

I do 2 to 3 cruises a year on various ship brands of which probably one doesn't involve a flight so I'm very excited about the wheel thing. (Brandon is on cruise #12 already)

damn, i just looked specifically at Norwegian CL, and their list of prohibited items specifically includes two items of concern. 

20. Large batteries

23. Self-balancing hover boards, air wheels, scooters, or Segway’s

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

This is my first time on NCL, we usually do disney, but usually princess and carnival for the LA based trips so please still give me your input on the last post. Thanks.

As I'm doing more research, the news is getting worse. Prohibited items:

DISNEY - NO

image.png.d31e63be12cc455a7cbc8ac0b4975952.png

PRINCESS - MAYBE, says if used for mobility limitations only

image.png.12d694e5ad1d72d595950669cb73c26c.png

NORWEGIAN - NO

image.png.a453ad4595cb54b233eda9d257c65a37.png

CARNIVAL - PORT ONLY

image.png.40d3a5bf414e0a0628d3c956a56941e3.png

ROYAL CARRIBEAN - No

image.png.bc206331320d9278b1b2701b52faede2.png

So the interesting thing is CARNIVAL lists segways under PROHIBITED ITEMS but then lists it again under port only as allowable only in port. The other cruise lines don't have any lists of PORT ONLY. Sounds like I'll bring it along and see if they stop me at the door. If they do, I'll just bring it back to the car before debarkation. 

• Upvote 2

I didn't "officially" ride on board the ship. 🙂 But all of the crew loved them and they were no problem in port at Catalina or Ensanada. I was told while boarding not to charge on the ship but I found a way. 😎

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, who_the said:

I didn't "officially" ride on board the ship. 🙂

I guess they picture of you one footing it doesn't count as riding per the restrictions. Living on the edge there, I love it. And thanks for your port experience notes

1 hour ago, maltocs said:

I know in the Mexican ports, you get screened by the Foreign Port Authority before entering the dock.

This was not the case in Ensanada when we visited, we weren't screened or scrutinized at all getting off. The guards leaving the port terminal chatted with us and told us to ride slowly around the terminal and generally to be very careful. Of course the cruise line screens you closely when you return to reboard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maltocs said:

I guess they picture of you one footing it doesn't count as riding per the restrictions.

"Unofficially" we took them up to the sports deck twice, briefly when we boarded, and then on the last night of the cruise, we rode around for about 30 minutes on the jogging track, even taught two people to ride right there on the spot!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, who_the said:

This was not the case in Ensanada when we visited, we weren't screened or scrutinized at all getting off. The guards leaving the port terminal chatted with us and told us to ride slowly around the terminal and generally to be very careful. Of course the cruise line screens you closely when you return to reboard.

I don't never get screen by the port on the way to the country. It's coming back, when you enter the retail building you have to get in that line to get screened to actually put your foot on the dock. And there's a short walk on the dock to the ship to get screened again. That's the one in talking about.

1 hour ago, Pete G said:

I work at Carnival Hq in Southampton, if you like i can see what i can find out.

Thanks for the offer, but Carnival is the only line that is very clear with what is allowed and not allowed. It's the other lines I would love info on. I don't plan to use the EUC on the ship, only at ports. That's where the other lines have no mention.

But anything friends and family coupon codes you have lying around, feel free to pm them to me :)

1 hour ago, maltocs said:

But anything friends and family coupon codes you have lying around, feel free to pm them to me :)

Lol. Nice.

unfortunately i am but a lowly contractor and am not allowed such fortunes.

• Like 1