Some awesome tires for Dualtron Thunder

dwallersv

DT tires are tubeless, so it's a painful project to try and use Ultra off-road, tube, tires on a Thunder.

Found this vendor on Aliexpress, make three different types of tubeless tires that fit the Thunder rims -- the stock "city" street tire, the Ultra off-road tire (but tubeless, same size as Thunder tire 90/65-6.5), and here's the win, an all-terrain tire!! Here's a picture, I ordered a set for my Thunder. I do regularly slip on the front wheel with both motors on -- this will eliminate that, I'm sure, without introducing a rough, vibrating ride on the road, and I have decent traction on those occasions when I spontaneously head off on a dirt trail.

Dualtron-Scooter-Tyre-Off-Road-Tyres-90-

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

Have you got (and installed) these yet, or are they still on the way?

I am VERY interested to know more about the actual results!

Just ordered them yesterday, same day I found them and posted about 'em.

Should be here in 3-5 weeks, according to aliexpress, although I've been finding shipments from China with that standard shipping time are tending to get here earlier.

The day the arrive they're going on the scooter. I'll report then.

Who was it that was having all those problems with tires on a Dualtron II? I'll be these would do the trick, although he'd have to get an Ultra or Thunder to fit them. Undoubtedly they come in other sizes.

On 1/7/2019 at 4:41 PM, dwallersv said:

Undoubtedly they come in other sizes.

Nice find! I'd be v intrigued to see if they have sizes for the Spider 

Right now i'm between Spider & D3. The D3 is edging out with battery size and tubeless - whereas Spider with weight and slightly less menacing look ;)

Also would mention you can get an Ultra direct from Minimotors in SK for $3k shipped. Will take six weeks, but its a good minimum cost solution.

Unless you really care about the bling lighting on the steering shaft and the ABS braking feature, and adjustable suspensino, the Ultra is a Thunder without these features. I have both, and after the experience, what's I'd do today is get an Ultra and retrofit the hydraulic brake system from the Thunder (~$250, alibaba). That can, of course, be done later when $$ are available. The standard cable-brake system is just fine, just what you would expect. It's just that once you've gone to a 100% hydraulic system (Thunder), you just can't go back :D

2 hours ago, dwallersv said:

How do you plan to use it?

Good q

Mostly sole commuter. Comfy ride is a must because I'm 6'4 and 90kg. Would like option to take to gym, shopping, coffee shops etc too.

However, I havent ruled out option of second small scooter like zero 9 for trains, buses and quick dashes.

Finally I'm also thinking about pending law changes - mostly likely to do with top speed (which you can feint), but also weight class. Would hate to have a 37kg dualtron unused in my house.

The d3 is about £200 above the spider. The d3 has the hydraulics already there which saves £200 anyway so it might just win out.

Does that all make sense because I tend to ramble lol

2 hours ago, dwallersv said:

Also would mention you can get an Ultra direct from Minimotors in SK for $3k shipped. Will take six weeks, but its a good minimum cost solution.

Good find. 

However, TAXES would kick us up the behind and those are older models. So I'm more likely to buy in EU since I also get an additional business tax break.

Thank you for sharing though :)

Given your use, I'll go in a little different direction: I'd get a seat, no question. I have one on my Thunder, and it makes it a completely different animal. Riding is much more stable and confident at higher speeds. And, of course, the ride is way way more comfortable, the seat shaft is a shock absorber-like pneumatic piston.

I love riding standing, but I use the seat most of the time when I'm just riding from place A to B. When the weather's nice and warm I ride rather than drive just because riding's fun. Probably wouldn't if I didn't have the seat.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dwallersv said:

Given your use, I'll go in a little different direction: I'd get a seat, no question. I have one on my Thunder, and it makes it a completely different animal. Riding is much more stable and confident at higher speeds. And, of course, the ride is way way more comfortable, the seat shaft is a shock absorber-like pneumatic piston.

I love riding standing, but I use the seat most of the time when I'm just riding from place A to B. When the weather's nice and warm I ride rather than drive just because riding's fun. Probably wouldn't if I didn't have the seat.

oh reeeeaaaallllyy

The seat sounds like a gamechanger! Awesome!

Had no idea it had springs of sorts

I have the seat for the dualtron 2 and it’s definetly a game changer much like seated riding on an EUC. It feels like you’re on a little moped. Sitting is more stable while going straight, only in the sense that you aren’t relying on your legs to support you, you’re relying on the solid seat to, so that’s one less weak link stability wise. Bumps and potholes suck more while sitting however. 

I find standing MUCH better for maneuvering-turns and avoiding obstacles. You sit for high speeds and to cruise long straights. You stand to actively ride, change lanes, make high speed turns. It’s sketchy to make anything but low speed turns while seated. In turns it feels like you could fall off because your legs aren’t putting equal balancing pressure on either side of the scooters body like they would while standing. You could easily oversteer through the handlebars, something that would be very hard to do while standing.

Edited by Darrell Wesh

13 minutes ago, dwallersv said:

Great feedback @Darrell Wesh! Interesting experience on the D2... I find the opposite turning with the Thunder -- more stable/certain with the seat at speed than standing. Could be because it's heavier?

Probably the much wider tires 

@Darrell Wesh good point about the tires. I'm also pretty sure the lower CG makes a difference (it does in the physics equations :D), so it puzzled me that you would find it more stable standing. Of course, there are many factors that affect the various forces (we've identified a measly 2 in our brief discussion), so it's not surprising that different people, on very different machines, have conflicting experiences.

In the end, I can ride the Thunder at 40+ sitting without sh*tting my pants. Different proposition standing :D :D :D 

Just thought of another big difference: The geometry of upper body, shoulders, arms and steering handle. So much more leverage and fine control when sitting, less standing; this (if correct) explains why the handle feels so much more squirrelly and harder to control the wiggles from the road surface. At speed, this is much more anxiety-inducing than the firm feel I have on the steering with my arms out forward sitting down.

To be clear, I'm not trying to argue or debate here -- this is me free-thinking analysis. I can't help it -- I'm an engineer :D

1 hour ago, dwallersv said:

@Darrell Wesh good point about the tires. I'm also pretty sure the lower CG makes a difference (it does in the physics equations :D), so it puzzled me that you would find it more stable standing. Of course, there are many factors that affect the various forces (we've identified a measly 2 in our brief discussion), so it's not surprising that different people, on very different machines, have conflicting experiences.

In the end, I can ride the Thunder at 40+ sitting without sh*tting my pants. Different proposition standing :D :D :D 

Just thought of another big difference: The geometry of upper body, shoulders, arms and steering handle. So much more leverage and fine control when sitting, less standing; this (if correct) explains why the handle feels so much more squirrelly and harder to control the wiggles from the road surface. At speed, this is much more anxiety-inducing than the firm feel I have on the steering with my arms out forward sitting down.

To be clear, I'm not trying to argue or debate here -- this is me free-thinking analysis. I can't help it -- I'm an engineer :D

With both scooters siting so high up, especially the Thunder, I don’t 100% control the scooter by the handlebars. The handlebars are only there to balance my weight shifting on the actual deck I’m standing on. I place my feet wide, to the edges of the deck, and weight transfer to turn. The handlebars are there to control my weight transfer. 

This is why I find it difficult to understand why you say sitting has more control. Without the weight transfer from your lower body you’re using entirely arms to turn with no minute adjustments possible to stabilize any errors from too much shifting on the handlebars. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tires arrived, they're a bust. Missing something in tire size specs, or they're just fraudulent. Pics coming this afternoon, which will make it clear -- they're about 3/4in too narrow, including at the bead. Yet everything in terms of standard tire sizing specs that I can find printed on the tire are the same as the stock Thunder tire.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ive got a question. I have the Ultra and i want to know can i use the Thunder tubeless tires that minimotors sells? I popped both my off road tires and im looking for a street tire version i can use on the ultra. Preferably i want a US based company that has these stock, if anyone knows where to get from.

Also i have the Dualtron II that i need tubes for, but only cause i want to sell it (if anyones interested). 

Nerd2hire

Los Angeles

• 9 months later...

Hi, can anyone help me I’ve mistakenly bought tubeless cst road tyres (only green strip instead of the green and red) and wonder can I fit them to my ultra? Can I just use the tubes that are in the cst off road tyres again? Avoid the valve change and not sure ultra rims are air tight? Please help!! 

On 1/18/2019 at 6:59 PM, Darrell Wesh said:

With both scooters siting so high up, especially the Thunder, I don’t 100% control the scooter by the handlebars. The handlebars are only there to balance my weight shifting on the actual deck I’m standing on. I place my feet wide, to the edges of the deck, and weight transfer to turn. The handlebars are there to control my weight transfer. 

This is why I find it difficult to understand why you say sitting has more control. Without the weight transfer from your lower body you’re using entirely arms to turn with no minute adjustments possible to stabilize any errors from too much shifting on the handlebars. 

Have you thought about a steering damper? Sounds like it might be an option for you to consider, try one first as different styles prefer different options, dampers are also adjustable. Just a thought for you, best wishes simon

• 8 months later...

I have a Currus Panter very similar to the Dulatron Thunder- same minimotors controllers/motors. It came with the CST off road tires- they are LOUD (over 30 mph the wind noise drowns the out) but seem to handle ok on streets, will likely change them to the on-road tires, I just don't go off-road enough to need the knobby tires. BTW, for those who like to install a seat on their rides- here in Iowa, once you install a seat it becomes a moped, which requires registration/turn signals and legal road stuff.

Moped max speed 39 mph, motorcycle title/license over that.

Scooter/electric bicycle 20 mph.

Their updated law here in 2019 states.

1. two wheels with a standing platform- no seat/no pedals.

2. 100 lbs max weight

3. max speed 20 mph (I basically drive upto the speed limit and have not been pulled over).

4. legal to ride anywhere bicycles are allowed- all paths/trails/sidewalks.

IF you have a seat you have to have usable pedals- then is an electric bicycle.

Just FYI.