seage

The Mullings of a Beginner

4 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Just keep on practising and enjoy the process. :)

That's the key. Enjoy, you only get the learning experience once, and it's great fun! And don't overdo it. 20 minutes a day is easily enough. Your brain has to process everything, too, and you'll literally get better overnight, even if you do just 2 minutes per day or skip a day.

Other than that, speed is your friend because it stabilizes you, and lack of fear from good protection (for you and the wheel) makes you relaxed, which is they key to EUC riding - always be relaxed and cool.

10 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

When I first stepped on the wheel, I was like "WTF how is anyone supposed to do this?". Very puzzled.

Haha, glad I wasnt along in that thinking. It stood there like  "mmmmmmmmmm..nah"

11 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

First outdoor ride, the 5th to step on attempt worked and I was going for a km or even more (I stopped on purpose due to a snowy/icy patch). Was riding quite fast because I instinctively knew speed would stabilize me and at the start I wasn't quite sure how to brake anyways:D For some reason stepping on always worked pretty well on that ride, even on snow or a downhill slope. It forces you to learn fast.

So I guess quick learner, though my brain had had over week since stepping on indoors for a few minutes for each of a few days (was away for a week before the outdoor ride) and that counts as learning time, too.

A friend of mine was riding after 10 minutes, too. And did successful step ons and riding on a very rough forest path later that day.

Not sure if that was motivational;)

EUCing is not that hard. I think training and doing whatnot may make learning take longer than just going out and challenging yourself and riding somewhere (a destination). But it's an individual thing, just do what seems right without much thinking. Everyone gets there eventually.

Damn, thats crazy! But awesome, haha. Yeah, see I know speed will keep me standing, but also, its scary, even though I'mm all padded up. I need to lose the fear if i want to progress though, I know this for a fact. I feel like its gonna be like that for me though. The whole stepping on and it just clicking... Its how its been for everything ive ever learned. I guess im just beating myself up for seeing such quick progress when I myself couldnt keep up. And damn, your friend sounds like my brother (YOu sound like him too! LOL)  

But I see. I suppose if i try to just get..like a-b might speed things up. I'll give that a shot. And i FOR SURE was over thinking absolutely everything. It was a mess. 

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

That's the key. Enjoy, you only get the learning experience once, and it's great fun! And don't overdo it. 20 minutes a day is easily enough. Your brain has to process everything, too, and you'll literally get better overnight, even if you do just 2 minutes per day or skip a day.

I most def overdid it today. Was out there so long, I was too tired to even get on the wheel. And i was so defeated, i forgot about my earlier progress from the day. I had actually made a ride around the schoolgrounds and it just disappeared from my mind with the sight of my brother zipping around, haha. Im gonna limit the sessions a bit so im riding fresh. And i'll try the destination thing. 

8 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Other than that, speed is your friend because it stabilizes you, and lack of fear from good protection (for you and the wheel) makes you relaxed, which is they key to EUC riding - always be relaxed and cool.

I'll chill out, enjoy the ride and let myself go faster and stop worrying so much. Im overthinking every single detail and i dont think i'll make it trying to flow like that XD.

Thanks mate!

I could ride in 15 minutes, after which I made the 1km trip home on the wheel 😅

But then again, I could comfortably ride a normal unicycle before 😁

18 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Hi there and thanks for sharing your story!

Yes I had the exact same experience when I bought my Ninebot One E+. At first I stood in the hallway and braced myself against the walls. I could hardly get on. I started to question myself and the words "oh no what have I done" popped into mind. The next day I went down to the basement where there is a long hallway. I drove back and forth using the walls for support. I could do one round and then I had to rest. After 15 minutes I was dead and went upstairs to chill for a while. Then I went down again and repeated the process. Again the next day and day after that.

That first video was awesome to watch! Thats exactly how i was riding before i got tired. EUC was wobbling a bit, but i was able to go straight and make it. But you were going a lot faster than me. I was most def limiting my speed out of fear. And i think that fear mixed with the buildup of fatigue made me feel like i was doing worse than i probably actually was XD!

24 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Eventually I took it outdoors to a soccer field with plastic grass. The grass was very squishy so I had very little side to side control but at least I didn't have to worry about destroying the wheel. After about an hour I started to get the hang of it. When I tried going back home it was all good.

Okay, this REALLY makes me feel better. I was getting to this point. BUT again, the speed. I could see how different it was once you really leaned into it and picked up the pace, it helped a lot. 

25 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

After that I started going out every day for a 15-20km run.

Some of my friends have tried as well as my wife. Recently one of my colleagues tried in the basement and after 15-20 minutes he was able to cruise the hallway without touching the walls once.

When I hit the 500km mark I felt that I totally understood the wheel. So I took it offroad on some trails and it was great.
Today was my first trying to go backwards outdoors. Previously i've been practising in the basement and it was the same feeling of hopelessness all over again.

Man, how inspiring! Its really cool to kinda see the "click" and confidence in your riding after you got used to the wheel and trusted in your ability! This actually really lifted my spirits, thank you! I feel like i can get here. You were riding exactly like me, and you improved this much over time. I feel I can get there. That hopeless feeling is fading XD. 

28 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Moral of the story is... it's different for different people. Just keep on practising and enjoy the process. :)

So I see you're from Toronto. I was born there. Spanish parents so moved to Spain when I was 13.
Then I moved to Sweden on my own when I was 17 (i'm 45 now).
What's it like riding in Toronto? Are they okay with it?

And Im actually living in a smaller city just outside of toronto, but from what i've heard, no ones had any trouble riding in the city. People out here have asked me about my wheel and are super nice about it. Also allows me to pet many puppies as half the curious people are walking them. Im actually originally from England, but moved here when I was a child and grew up here, haha. Im 32 myself, so its been quite a long time. But thats so awesome! If you ever visit, let me know. Would love to ride with you! 

Thanks so much for sharing this with me! I feel that fire burning hot again!!

As other told you, it is very normal to feel like that at the start.

My story:

I'd say I had good balance before I learned, but still it wasn't easy.

The first day I did like 2h and my legs hurt for a whole week, I could not try again for a "long" week!

After that I added a lot of soft sponge padding with double sided tape (which later was a bike seat gel cover on each side) to avoid that happening again. You may attach them to your leg too. I kept the gel cushion forever as it made it mich more comfortable and avoids pain. (KingSong 18L is the only wheel for which I didn't need extra padding).

That 2nd week I took it easy and continued to go forward and backward on the handrail, 1h a day, for the whole week, trying to slowly get used to get a bit of speed and go on a straight line without the handrail.

After 6 days/hours, I was able to try to start turning, it was a bit of a small space, but I managed to start turning with quite enlightenment control, maybe tool 1-2 days/hours.

After that, communing to work daily on the path at 12km/h (top speed) using street furniture as help to step on the wheel, for like a month, until I learned to step on it without holding onto anything haha.

1 hour ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Hi there and thanks for sharing your story!

Yes I had the exact same experience when I bought my Ninebot One E+. At first I stood in the hallway and braced myself against the walls. I could hardly get on. I started to question myself and the words "oh no what have I done" popped into mind. The next day I went down to the basement where there is a long hallway. I drove back and forth using the walls for support. I could do one round and then I had to rest. After 15 minutes I was dead and went upstairs to chill for a while. Then I went down again and repeated the process. Again the next day and day after that.

Eventually I took it outdoors to a soccer field with plastic grass. The grass was very squishy so I had very little side to side control but at least I didn't have to worry about destroying the wheel. After about an hour I started to get the hang of it. When I tried going back home it was all good.

After that I started going out every day for a 15-20km run.

Some of my friends have tried as well as my wife. Recently one of my colleagues tried in the basement and after 15-20 minutes he was able to cruise the hallway without touching the walls once.

When I hit the 500km mark I felt that I totally understood the wheel. So I took it offroad on some trails and it was great.
Today was my first trying to go backwards outdoors. Previously i've been practising in the basement and it was the same feeling of hopelessness all over again.

Moral of the story is... it's different for different people. Just keep on practising and enjoy the process. :)

So I see you're from Toronto. I was born there. Spanish parents so moved to Spain when I was 13.
Then I moved to Sweden on my own when I was 17 (i'm 45 now).
What's it like riding in Toronto? Are they okay with it?

Enjoyed your videos :thumbup:

@seage Welcome!

I echo @meepmeepmayer & @Mike Sacristan's sentiments, a little bit each day will help your brain develop the understanding and muscle memory, as this was how it was for me (slow learner at everything). It took me ~2 weeks to learn, but each day was no more than an hour, due to tiring out and frustration. My first day of learning (or rather, lack of learning) was met quickly by despair, wondering if my then Ninebot One E+ was doomed to forever sit in my closet. Just keep at it!

The best beginner EUC tips I think I've heard were:

• for falling/staying on the wheel:
    • when you feel the sensation of falling, try to correct by twisting the wheel with your hips, using an arms-out, swinging motion, in the turn direction that you are falling. the tire will slightly skid against the ground surface. this can be followed afterwards by more twist/skidding motions in consecutive opposite directions, until you no longer feel the sensation of falling. your upper body should be upright and straight the whole time.
  • for braking:
    • simply motion your body / bum backwards as if you were going to sit down, until the wheel properly brakes.
  • for turning:
    • like board sports, looking at where you want to go will turn the wheel in that direction, since your body (and more importantly hips) will follow your head/glance. this is further aided if you swing your arms in the turn direction, as they are more directly attached to your hips, the ultimate EUC maneuverer (this still applies well after the beginner stage).

Also, while it's hard to grasp in the beginner phase, your lower half (hips, legs, knees, feet) should be relatively loose and relaxed while riding, ready to counter-balance and correct any wavering of balance.

Do not actively try to keep the wheel perfectly upright. Do not actively try to go perfectly straight, as this will naturally correct itself as you learn and go faster.

Keep your knees loose (not locked), and avoid Frankenstein feet (light feet), utilizing both forefoot and heel separately for acceleration and braking respectively.

Hi there, 

Long time stalker (one of my) first time posting. I have to put myself down in the "took a long time to learn" category. I first picked up a Ninebot one S1 on the cheap and decided to give this a try. I started out at an empty parking garage on weekends. Learning was slow cause of the bruises (as you are aware of), feet absolutely killing me, and a fear of falling. I wasn't worried about me getting hurt but damaging my pretty, shiny new Ninebot. Well damage it I did and thankfully it had a warranty. 

What helped me out was changing the venue to a fake grass field like Mike S. did. All fear of falling went away. The other thing that really helped me was looking forward and NOT at my clumsy feet.  Look where you wanna go and HEY, you kind of go there... kind of. That field helped me get... ok(ish) but getting kicked out of there really helped. I think I became complacent there and had plateaued. Once I was forced to use pavement again I found turning was easier and started leaving my mark on the world. And by mark I mean blood. (joking) 

I've since decided I like this a lot and it is time to move up to the big boy table so I purchased a KS-18XL from eWheels a few days ago. It's on it way and I can't be more excited... and also sick, I have the flu. 

10 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Keep your knees loose (not locked), and avoid Frankenstein feet (light feet), utilizing both forefoot and heel separately for acceleration and braking respectively.

This is where I still have a problem with. I tend to lock my right leg and make my left leg do most of the work. So right leg straight up and down, left leg bend and loose. I've felt this and realized this is my poor stance but as hard as I try and correct this I instinctually return to this stance as soon as I stop thinking about it. 

Anyone else ride like this? 

2 hours ago, KevinvdV said:

I could ride in 15 minutes, after which I made the 1km trip home on the wheel 😅

But then again, I could comfortably ride a normal unicycle before 😁

LOL. I figure that helped XD. I've never even SEEN a normal unicycle in person before. I really dived into the deep end with this one. 

1 hour ago, Jean Dublin said:

The first day I did like 2h and my legs hurt for a whole week, I could not try again for a "long" week!

After that I added a lot of soft sponge padding with double sided tape (which later was a bike seat gel cover on each side) to avoid that happening again. You may attach them to your leg too. I kept the gel cushion forever as it made it mich more comfortable and avoids pain. (KingSong 18L is the only wheel for which I didn't need extra padding).

I might need to steal this idea because my legs are bumping, haha. I have a bit of padding on it and it feels like im rubbing cinder blocks against the inside of my legs still, so......................

1 hour ago, Jean Dublin said:

That 2nd week I took it easy and continued to go forward and backward on the handrail, 1h a day, for the whole week, trying to slowly get used to get a bit of speed and go on a straight line without the handrail.

After 6 days/hours, I was able to try to start turning, it was a bit of a small space, but I managed to start turning with quite enlightenment control, maybe tool 1-2 days/hours.

After that, communing to work daily on the path at 12km/h (top speed) using street furniture as help to step on the wheel, for like a month, until I learned to step on it without holding onto anything haha.

I need to get more used to that balance and feeling of moving around, and also getting used to that speed. I need to kill that fear XD. I was able to turn pretty decently and ride around. But thats really awesome. I hope I can begin communiting and travelling around soon, haha. May have to take it easy tomorrow with how bruised my legs are though. Who knew, jumping off and having the wheel crash into the inside of your legs would cause pain

Thanks for sharing this with me! 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, houseofjob said:

@seage Welcome!

Thanks! I love your videos! Im the guys "Seagespeaks" who commented about your city riding style. That was before I got my wheel and sunk into despair LOL

I echo @meepmeepmayer & @Mike Sacristan's sentiments, a little bit each day will help your brain develop the understanding and muscle memory, as this was how it was for me (slow learner at everything). It took me ~2 weeks to learn, but each day was no more than an hour, due to tiring out and frustration. My first day of learning (or rather, lack of learning) was met quickly by despair, wondering if my then Ninebot One E+ was doomed to forever sit in my closet. Just keep at it!

Alright, i'll keep the sessions shorter. And wow, 2 weeks? When I watch your videos, your flow is just so good. Im actually surprised but happy to hear that you stuck with and it actually happened. I think thats the issue with kinda falling behind, you start to feel like you're supposed to get it fast. And question practicing. Like, if im not getting it now, how am i gonna get it later? Is this actually something thats gonna click? Is the feeling i get. But hearing other people keeping at it and getting somewhere gives me that hope back. 

The best beginner EUC tips I think I've heard were:

• for falling/staying on the wheel:
    • when you feel the sensation of falling, try to correct by twisting the wheel with your hips, using an arms-out, swinging motion, in the turn direction that you are falling. the tire will slightly skid against the ground surface. this can be followed afterwards by more twist/skidding motions in consecutive opposite directions, until you no longer feel the sensation of falling. your upper body should be upright and straight the whole time.

Wait..twist INTO the fall? Yo..everything about this is counter intuitive, loll. Stand up straight...twist into the direction that you're falling, put your hands infront of the wheel, it will cause hovering. This is so confusing, but i got you and i shall!!! I get really nervous when i start to pivot all over the place. I place a ton of pressure on one side, and by time ive stopped falling that way, all my pressure is on the other foot that almost goes down. 

for braking:

• simply motion your body / bum backwards as if you were going to sit down, until the wheel properly brakes.

I think i was able to do this once on my first day. Thats a really comfortable feeling when you get it right. 

https://www.twitch.tv/seageart/clip/StupidKathishCrowNononoCat *edit* Not sure if this clip is coming up blank for you all, but heres the hotlink if so

for turning:

• like board sports, looking at where you want to go will turn the wheel in that direction, since your body (and more importantly hips) will follow your head/glance. this is further aided if you swing your arms in the turn direction, as they are more directly attached to your hips, the ultimate EUC maneuverer (this still applies well after the beginner stage).

I will try to get this down. I saw my brother doing this and he was telling me about it. Using his arms to help shift him. He also mentioned looking in the right direction. I will hopefully slowly start getting this all down. 

Also, while it's hard to grasp in the beginner phase, your lower half (hips, legs, knees, feet) should be relatively loose and relaxed while riding, ready to counter-balance and correct any wavering of balance.

Do not actively try to keep the wheel perfectly upright. Do not actively try to go perfectly straight, as this will naturally correct itself as you learn and go faster.

When i was less tired and was able to ride around, my lower half was super loose, almost like isolated. It just handled the ups and downs and my upper body stayed relatively straight. But it was kinda springy. I was able to stand a bit straighter after getting a little speed. 

At the end i was trying to keep the wheel perfect and go straight and when I couldnt it made me more frustrated, leading to more and more mistakes. Whereas before it was just about staying on for a longer period of time. The Frankenstein feet thing I think i got at the end when i was basically ripping the wheel left to right and my balance was just non existent. Again...was probably fatigue mixed with frustration. Its been a long time since i've learned an active skill like this from scratch. I'm not used to being straight trash anymore.

Anyways, thanks so much for your advice. I will take all of it to heart and apply it when practicing! Can't wait to see your next video!

Edited by seage
video not working

Riding, riding comfortable, or just getting on? These three are quite distinctive in how much time each takes.

Personally, it took a little bit of nothing to hold onto something then ride forward. However, it took an extra month with lots of practice to be able to free mount and ride smoothly, and my first wheel the Inmotion V5F I never was able to get all that smooth with. The wheel makes a big difference and some wheels are bad drivers.

People who already know how to ride a bike can ride an EUC (albeit badly), they just haven't accepted it yet.

That manifests by the new rider staying below the stall speed of a gyroscopically balanced vehicle. Get the rider above that speed and most difficulties resolve themselves.

That being said, EUCs are many times more difficult and dangerous to ride well that a bicycle, and going from an EUC to a bicycle demonstrates that riding an EUC improves your low speed bicycle ability to a ridiculous degree. Take your sadly neglected bicycle out and see if you can ride side saddle, on the handlebars, very slow, or even track stand it. I'll bet you do so with little difficulty.

18 minutes ago, seage said:

Thanks! I love your videos! Im the guys "Seagespeaks" who commented about your city riding style.

Oh, cool, yes, I remember your comment. Thanks again for the kind words!

That was before I got my wheel and sunk into despair LOL

Alright, i'll keep the sessions shorter. And wow, 2 weeks? When I watch your videos, your flow is just so good. Im actually surprised but happy to hear that you stuck with and it actually happened. I think thats the issue with kinda falling behind, you start to feel like you're supposed to get it fast. And question practicing. Like, if im not getting it now, how am i gonna get it later? Is this actually something thats gonna click? Is the feeling i get. But hearing other people keeping at it and getting somewhere gives me that hope back. 

Yup!, and this was despite my 20+ year background in skiing, but that's how it's always been for me & learning any sport all my life *smh <_< 

I'm the type of person who needs the full explanation, then has to sit and live with the knowledge, and keep chipping away. Unfortunately, when I was learning 3 years ago, it was super hard to find such resources. Even now, the "how to EUC" videos don't really explain the Why in learning technique, .... so, as you had suggested, I'm working on that :D

But when it clicked (and it will click!), I basically started to ride more than I walk LOL, ... and for me, I never stop experimenting, so I was basically able to transfer all my ski technique when I learned how to position my feet & body to properly leverage the wheel.

Again, just keep at it! (and ask questions!, we're all more than happy to help a fellow rider get on their 'feet' on this forum :D)

Wait..twist INTO the fall? Yo..everything about this is counter intuitive, loll.

Yes, very counter-intuitive, but when it doubt, just twist like hell! (that's what I did, based on an Amazon review comment.... can be like a jerk-twisting the wheel).

I think the rationale for this is because: a.) it's harder to twist the other way, as you are already falling in one direction, and b.) the curvature of the tire combined with slight forward motion will allow the tilted tire to get back under itself in order you to right the ship.

Stand up straight...

The stand-up-straight thing is just so you don't involve your upper body in the lean, which it shouldn't be doing (center of mass stays 'stacked' directly over you wheel, not lunging out of this upright wheel plane). All lean should be coming from your hips, legs, or (more advanced) feet (stepping through forefoot to accelerate, heel plant to brake).

In reality, after the learning phase, you can technically bend over any which way, etc, as you will innately adjust/re-position your upper body's center of mass so that it stays, again, stacked directly over your wheel.

I get really nervous when i start to pivot all over the place. I place a ton of pressure on one side, and by time ive stopped falling that way, all my pressure is on the other foot that almost goes down. 

https://www.twitch.tv/seageart/clip/StupidKathishCrowNononoCat *edit* Not sure if this clip is coming up blank for you all, but heres the hotlink if so

Your video isn't coming up on my end, but in the linked, it does look like your legs, though bent, are a bit stiff, which is totally normal in the beginning (I did the same).

But this is very good for 2 days! I would continue practicing on a more uniformly large area, level surface, like an empty parking lot, playground, etc.

When i was less tired and was able to ride around, my lower half was super loose, almost like isolated. It just handled the ups and downs and my upper body stayed relatively straight. But it was kinda springy. I was able to stand a bit straighter after getting a little speed. 

At the end i was trying to keep the wheel perfect and go straight and when I couldnt it made me more frustrated, leading to more and more mistakes. Whereas before it was just about staying on for a longer period of time. The Frankenstein feet thing I think i got at the end when i was basically ripping the wheel left to right and my balance was just non existent. Again...was probably fatigue mixed with frustration. Its been a long time since i've learned an active skill like this from scratch. I'm not used to being straight trash anymore.

Yes, in the beginning, EUC will be a sweat-filled workout, so take breaks where needed (this doesn't last FYI, EUC is relatively a non-workout :lol:)

Sounds like you just need time to let it sink in. This is all faster than I was able to progress in 2 days!

.... and oh yeah, definitely try to learn with the tire pumped up in the ballpark of the max PSI rating marked on the tire. This is because severe underinflation will cause the tire to artificially pull left-and-right, which complicates learning.

As PSI is personal and based on your riding weight, you don't have to follow the max PSI rating number perfectly. The tire (when you hop on) should/can feel anywhere from slight-but-firm (when test-bouncing), to stiff/rock hard, mainly personal preference.

32 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Riding, riding comfortable, or just getting on? These three are quite distinctive in how much time each takes.

Well i can ride terribly while my legs have stamina. And ive managed to mount with no assistance. Although its a bit "messy". Comfort is NOT there, but it actually was for a bit when i finally cruised for the first time. I was like, ah, this is what its like. Then i started to think about falling, lol. 

34 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

Personally, it took a little bit of nothing to hold onto something then ride forward. However, it took an extra month with lots of practice to be able to free mount and ride smoothly, and my first wheel the Inmotion V5F I never was able to get all that smooth with. The wheel makes a big difference and some wheels are bad drivers.

Ah i see! I have the KS-16s, and it seems to be really good. Like my brother rode it smoothly. I know right now im just trash and the wheel is fine. And i feel like im gonna be in the long game team for a while! XD

35 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

People who already know how to ride a bike can ride an EUC (albeit badly), they just haven't accepted it yet.

That manifests by the new rider staying below the stall speed of a gyroscopically balanced vehicle. Get the rider above that speed and most difficulties resolve themselves.

That being said, EUCs are many times more difficult and dangerous to ride well that a bicycle, and going from an EUC to a bicycle demonstrates that riding an EUC improves your low speed bicycle ability to a ridiculous degree. Take your sadly neglected bicycle out and see if you can ride side saddle, on the handlebars, very slow, or even track stand it. I'll bet you do so with little difficulty.

I cycle daily. Hybrid and road bike, even in the winter. I was just on a ride moments ago. And you're right actually. I was checking my balance, and i was able to stop and just stay balanced for much longer than i could in the past. I was really focused on kinda....keeping centered. I cycle when im feeling any kind of way or need to clear my mind, so that ride cheered me up and reminded me why i wanted this EUC in the first place. Sure its different and more dangerous and difficult but the feeling of cruising is amazing, and this is just another style of it that i cant wait to properly experience. 

34 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yup!, and this was despite my 20+ year background in skiing, but that's how it's always been for me & learning any sport all my life *smh <_< 

I'm the type of person who needs the full explanation, then has to sit and live with the knowledge, and keep chipping away. Unfortunately, when I was learning 3 years ago, it was super hard to find such resources. Even now, the "how to EUC" videos don't really explain the Why in learning technique, .... so, as you had suggested, I'm working on that :D

But when it clicked (and it will click!), I basically started to ride more than I walk LOL, ... and for me, I never stop experimenting, so I was basically able to transfer all my ski technique when I learned how to position my feet & body to properly leverage the wheel.

Again, just keep at it! (and ask questions!, we're all more than happy to help a fellow rider get on their 'feet' on this forum

I actually used to teach skiing. Which was ridiculous because i was a beginner and just watched a ton of videos. Got on the hill and immediately hit the park. Got a few lessons from olympic coaches (in canada, ahah) and advanced enough to get a job LOL. It was so ridiculous. But i figured my skiing skills would help me out. They probably are, to be honest. I feel like for me, i need to be in the right state of mind. Going out with full confidence and just going for it. And thanks to you and the others who have responded, i feel amazingly confident and happy about my progress thus far, and have even learned some things that I was clearly messing up! Thank you so much for being so kind to me!

36 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

The stand-up-straight thing is just so you don't involve your upper body in the lean, which it shouldn't be doing (center of mass stays 'stacked' directly over you wheel, not lunging out of this upright wheel plane). All lean should be coming from your hips, legs, or (more advanced) feet (stepping through forefoot to accelerate, heel plant to brake).

In reality, after the learning phase, you can technically bend over any which way, etc, as you will innately adjust/re-position your upper body's center of mass so that it stays, again, stacked directly over your wheel.

So i think you just answered why, once i started to overthink, i bombed terribly. I dont know when or why it happened, but closer to the end of my session I decided that i need to lean like micheal jackson into my start. I quickly lost balance and crashed. Which i hadnt done yesterday for my entire session. I was going faster, but the wipeouts were way bigger and thats why i fell off and the wheel hit me in the legs.... now I see that i was actually correct before when shifting my lower half. I was using my upper body completely and it wasnt working out.... This explanation is so perfect, im copying it down. Ahhhhhhhhh!! It explains so much!

39 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Your video isn't coming up on my end, but in the linked, it does look like your legs, though bent, are a bit stiff, which is totally normal in the beginning (I did the same).

But this is very good for 2 days! I would continue practicing on a more uniformly large area, level surface, like an empty parking lot, playground, etc.

That video was actually on day 1. It was my last run of the evening. After 1 hour and 20 minutes. I was live streaming myself on twitch and so i got the time. I was really happy with myself. Today when I went out, we went to a school, but it was very slanted. I guess to stop flooding and pooling of water in the school. I think theres a relatively empty parking lot near by. My city doesnt have very much. Its extremely small. But yeah..i think flat ground will help a lot. 

42 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, in the beginning, EUC will be a sweat-filled workout, so take breaks where needed (this doesn't last FYI, EUC is relatively a non-workout :lol:)

Sounds like you just need time to let it sink in. This is all faster than I was able to progress in 2 days!

.... and oh yeah, definitely try to learn with the tire pumped up in the ballpark of the max PSI rating marked on the tire. This is because severe underinflation will cause the tire to artificially pull left-and-right, which complicates learning.

As PSI is personal and based on your riding weight, you don't have to follow the max PSI rating number perfectly. The tire (when you hop on) should/can feel anywhere from slight-but-firm (when test-bouncing), to stiff/rock hard, mainly personal preference.

Haha, well, at least im finally GETTING a work out. Shedding these pounds, when normally im a potate in the winter, haha! And yeah, it seems to be quite a relaxing ride in all the videos i see! And i see about the tire. Okay, Ive got it at the lowest it says on the tire, but im about 230lbs, so it seems to be....okay? Its got give and it scares the heck out of me. I feel like im 3 miles above the ground. Im wondering if i should put more air in it or leave it..well whatever. I'm excited to practice more and incorporate this newfound knowledge. I feel like the leaning thing i was doing is going to realllly change how i ride.....Thank goodness for this forum, or i would have been pushing this bad habit for a few more rides until it clicked that it was totally wrong. Whew!! Thanks so much!!

13 minutes ago, seage said:

I actually used to teach skiing. Which was ridiculous because i was a beginner and just watched a ton of videos. Got on the hill and immediately hit the park. Got a few lessons from olympic coaches (in canada, ahah) and advanced enough to get a job LOL. It was so ridiculous. But i figured my skiing skills would help me out. They probably are, to be honest. I feel like for me, i need to be in the right state of mind. Going out with full confidence and just going for it. And thanks to you and the others who have responded, i feel amazingly confident and happy about my progress thus far, and have even learned some things that I was clearly messing up! Thank you so much for being so kind to me!

Oh nice, no wonder!

The skiing know-how will definitely kick-in (if it hasn't already), just that the application of your feet is slightly different, being non-fixed. EUC is definitely sisters to skiing, as your body is in the same position. I think this is partly why EUC is so big in France/Paris, and catching on slowly but surely in Italy as well.

So i think you just answered why, once i started to overthink, i bombed terribly. I dont know when or why it happened, but closer to the end of my session I decided that i need to lean like micheal jackson into my start. I quickly lost balance and crashed. Which i hadnt done yesterday for my entire session. I was going faster, but the wipeouts were way bigger and thats why i fell off and the wheel hit me in the legs.... now I see that i was actually correct before when shifting my lower half. I was using my upper body completely and it wasnt working out.... This explanation is so perfect, im copying it down. Ahhhhhhhhh!! It explains so much!

Yup, always apply stacking for EUC, like as in ski mogul technique. If one body part strays a bit far from the center upright wheel plane, a different body part must compensate by balancing the opposite way, so that the net center of mass still stays relatively directly over the wheel

That video was actually on day 1. It was my last run of the evening. After 1 hour and 20 minutes. I was live streaming myself on twitch and so i got the time. I was really happy with myself. 

:clap3: even more impressive (at least to a slow a** learner like me!)

Haha, well, at least im finally GETTING a work out. Shedding these pounds, when normally im a potate in the winter, haha! 

Funny thing, I exercise more now, because I get paranoid I'm not physically exerting myself enough because I literally never walk anywhere any more :lol: 

And i see about the tire. Okay, Ive got it at the lowest it says on the tire, but im about 230lbs, so it seems to be....okay? Its got give and it scares the heck out of me. I feel like im 3 miles above the ground. Im wondering if i should put more air in it or leave it..well whatever.

Don't be afraid to pump a little above the tire rating, if need be (based on feel).... within reason. Judging by your reports, the slight spongy/springy but still firm-ish end might be good I think.

3 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I bought my first EUC back in 2014.  I gave up after an hour only to bring it out during parties at my house to test everyone else while reinforcing that it was impossible to learn.  Yes, I remember the feeling very well.  It wasn’t until 3 years later after seeing my oldest son click on bicycling that I tried again.  Watching every video I could find thinking I needed to see how others cracked the code.  It’s just practice.  

I can understand very well how that could happen, haha! But thats awesome. Im currently doing that. Its interesting how everyone says different things. But I think I have an idea of what to do when I get out there. 

‘The mistake most people make in the beginning is trying to learn how to mount or not pushing off to get good enough speed.  Going slow on EUC as well as a bike takes lots of effort and it really is an advanced skill.  So the number 1 advice anyone can give you is that it isn’t impossible.  Your brain is an amazing organ!  You just need to feed it info and it will figure it out.  By feeding info I mean get on the EUC, push off of a wall and go ata good speed, faster than walking.  Fall, rinse and repeat. When it clicks, it will be an amazing feeling.   Limit your practice to 15-30 minutes a day.  Skip a day if you get frustrated.  I promise you, you will get it.  It doesn’t take special talent.  You just have to practice.  

I was doing decently at a low speed, but when I did give it a bit more it was easier to stabilize. I just lost my nerve somewhere in there. I think i was trying so hard to play catchup that I messed myself up. Ridiculous. Also yeah, im limiting my riding time. Yesterday was WAY too long and my body is sore as heck now. It FEELS like it takes special talent, but ive learned enough things to know that that is never true. I'll keep practicing until i get it, even if it takes a month. 

If you see someone doing something that seems amazing, know that they practiced and if you put in the same effort you will be able to do it too.  Some learn faster because they used the correct method for them.  It might take you a little longer but it will not take you a long time to learn.  Just put in a genuine effort.

good luck!  I’m sure you will get it soon.  Everyone does.  The only way you won’t get it is if you give up.

I've successfully learned everything I've tried to do, and I busted my ass to get there as I have no "gifts" lmfao. Im useless, but i work hard. I don't know why i let myself get so beat up this time. I think i should have gone out and repeated day one rather than following someone elses lead. Slow and steady wins the race, as they say. 

Thanks my friend. I'll be sure to report in once it clicks XD

2 hours ago, Yunicyle said:

Just today, I taught my 13 year old daughter and 2 of her friends how to ride on a ninebot one E (beater wheel).  Her athletic friend picked it up in about 20 mins and was riding by herself.  My daughter and the other girl took a little longer, maybe about 40 mins.  All three girls learned and got the "click" and was riding by themselves amazingly in one learning session.  These kids picked this up so fast it is really unbelievable.

As a kid, learning anything was SO easy, because i had no fear. I think kids in general just dont fully understand (or care about) the consequences of "failing" and so they jump all in without a care in the world. Its all about having fun and trying something cool. Once we get older, at least with me, im visualizing every way i could crash, and the pain of falling and all that nonsense. I used to throw myself to the ground or purposely fall in new sports i would do just so i could get that fear of falling off my plate. Havent had the chance to mash myself up on the wheel yet, besides it smashing the insides of my legs. 

2 hours ago, Yunicyle said:

It took me 3 days to learn to ride and it was exhausting for me, sore feet and shin, sweating like a dog as I was exerting too much energy and effort.  These girls were laughing and giggling the whole time while learning and they seemed so relaxed as opposed to when I was learning, I think that made a big difference as well.

I'm with you there. Feet hurt, shins are sensitive. Broke a heavy sweat, and its winter, so.... Just so much energy. Panting, all that. Its crazy considering everyone whos got it just have a nice chill ride, and i look like i just finished running a marathon, im so beat down. But I agree. That relaxation, the fun. They're not thinking of it as some challenge they needed to overcome as quickly as possible. They were just having a laugh and enjoying the feeling. Truly enjoying the act of learning it. I think when i relaxed and just had a laugh i did better. And whenever i succeeded at something, the next go was even better. Yesterday was really just me trying to play catchup, hurting myself then not having the stamina, due to the bruising, to even keep the wheel balanced and then failing over and over, plummeting my happiness and motivation into the ground LOL. Lets not do that again XD

My "click" moment came when I arrived home one day to hear my wife tell me she would show me how to mount the thing. All this after my overt, and her covert,  practicing for 2 weeks in the snow.  It was intimidating enough to know there were one wheelers available, and this was a dual wheel. That was winter 2015. Fast forward today and I'm loving my 2 one wheeled euc's to no end! Last summer I tried teaching her to ride the one wheel, but alas, it was not to be (I still have hope).  I'd also like to say, as a former roller-skating champ; motorcycle rider; helicopter and airplane pilot, I find that balance of an euc is similar to flying in a helicopter.   Lastly I'll say it does my heart good to read your posts, knowing that we share similar/same passions !

9 minutes ago, Coffee guy said:

My "click" moment came when I arrived home one day to hear my wife tell me she would show me how to mount the thing. All this after my overt, and her covert,  practicing for 2 weeks in the snow.  It was intimidating enough to know there were one wheelers available, and this was a dual wheel. That was winter 2015. Fast forward today and I'm loving my 2 one wheeled euc's to no end! Last summer I tried teaching her to ride the one wheel, but alas, it was not to be (I still have hope).  I'd also like to say, as a former roller-skating champ; motorcycle rider; helicopter and airplane pilot, I find that balance of an euc is similar to flying in a helicopter.   Lastly I'll say it does my heart good to read your posts, knowing that we share similar/same passions !

You wouldnt happen to have a youtube channel, would you? I remember watching someones videos more recently (Before i got my wheel) and there was mention of helicopter flying. And that was a big "WOW!" moment for me, because who flies helicopters?! Thats just not something one hears often! Haha. I cant remember if it was the person in the video themselves or a comment on it. 

But anyways. thats pretty awesome that you guys did it together. Ohh, it was one of those EUC's with the 2 wheels close together, right? At first i was thinking a segway, but i know thats not it. I hope she can finally join you! Does she still ride the 2 wheeled euc? Im sure she'll get it soon XD! 

And man oh man. We have a little cross over, but you're way cooler than me. Flying planes and helicopters is just incredible! My skill lies in art. As much as i love my my active hobbies, like skiboarding, ice skating, longboarding, cycling, freestyle slalom and a bunch of other stuff, my art skill is always above them all. And its pretty safe too! Haha! 

But hey, its super nice to meet such a skilled person! I'm glad to have started this new venture!