Jump to content
seage

The Mullings of a Beginner

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Smoother said:

Yes I agree. I was thinking specifically of that training video (Solowheel I believe) where newbs were told swivel to steer.  Female rider oriental, possibly  american accent, possibly Solowheel inventer's daughter.

Ah, ok, I didn't watch that. Carry on!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Ah, ok, I didn't watch that. Carry on!

Well now's your chance.:D

Actually, it's not as bad as I remembered.  Maybe someone can glean something useful from it.

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My big respect goes to whomever not only had the seatless-with-pedals idea of modern EUCs, but who also tried long enough to figure out they could viably be ridden. Not obvious at all.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yall, i went outside, rode pretty far. The area i went was still a little garbagio. Theres honestly no good places to learn in this city, lol. I wish i lived downtown, id have no problem at all. Anyways, i was able to ride up, turn and ride down this path. I bailed when i got near a downhill since im not ready for that. The pedals tilted down a bit when i started getting closer, i think i was supposed to counter balance that by staying upright, but i wasnt having any of it, lol. And then it started to rain. I should have called it once it started, as the grass was already pretty slippery, but I didnt, because im a genius. I did a successful ride. No falls, slowed and sped up the wheel, which gave me much more confidence to ride it, as i felt really in control (Although i think im gonna switch to medium because experienced was a bit too much accidental torque. I think the softer mode may help out with that slight beginners weight shifting indecisiveness, haha.) But alas, i travelled all the way down the path. After a while my arms flailed less. But as its just a path, no room for turning. Or just naturally letting my body go every which way (Which would let me get more used to the overall sensation. Anyways. I jump off as i feel the wheel slip on the wet surface a bit while im stopping (there was a little twist of le hips in there), and i land on the grass. Im....im gliding..lol... Next think you know, my right leg stops, my foot flips and im folding like a lawn chair, with one foot under me, sliding on the top of my foot like some micheal jackson move gone wrong. I fall on my back and my leg just kinda springs out. Of all the things i was prepared for, that accident was not it. It wasnt even a wheel related issue!!! I was livestreaming this. So im going to post a video later of my progress, just so i can compare my riding to before. 

Edited by seage
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, seage said:

I bailed when i got near a downhill since im not ready for that.

Bailed = stopped, or bailed = ran off? Because calmly stopping and stepping off with one foot is an important skill, comes just after braking. Forget about free-mounting, but the opposite is a must:) Slow down, not step off too early and do a turn from circling around your ground foot, not step off too late and fall over from losing sideways balance.

Other than that, challenge yourself. Doing something you can barely do is extremely helpful for learning (and fun). So just ride down that hill. Step off controlledly. Step on (downhills) in the middle. Just do it.

12 minutes ago, seage said:

The pedals tilted down a bit when i started getting closer, i think i was supposed to counter balance that by staying upright, but i wasnt having any of it, lol.

The pedals shouldn't do this. Either you imagined it (probably:)), or you did a turn and had some turn-related pedal dipping (which you can get rid of by doing a good calibration). EUC pedals should always be rock-solid level, that's kind of the principle how they work.

Btw. the ride modes are just about how soft or hard the wheel reacts. "Learner", "experienced" is misleading. Actually, soft mode is probably the hardest to ride. At least the super-soft mode on the earlier Gotways. It's all about which one you simply like best -soft, medium, hard.

Enjoying your stories:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Bailed = stopped, or bailed = ran off? Because calmly stopping and stepping off with one foot is an important skill, comes just after braking. Forget about free-mounting, but the opposite is a must:) Slow down, not step off too early and do a turn from circling around your ground foot, not step off too late and fall over from losing sideways balance.

Bailed ran off into the sunset. I do need to get off calmly but i get scared since im not usually stepping off because i want to finish my ride. More because i feel like im gonna die if i stay on. I was speeding up and slowing down during my runs, but it just looks like a mess when you see it on video, haha. Everyone ive watched, once they've gotten it, their arms seems to just relax and fall beside them. Ive been able to ride further by my arms have no intention of coming down yet. 

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Other than that, challenge yourself. Doing something you can barely do is extremely helpful for learning (and fun). So just ride down that hill. Step off controlledly. Step on (downhills) in the middle. Just do it.

Yikes. Dont know if im ready for that yet...but might help actually. Terrifying but yeah. I think you'll agree i should stay away from hills at my stage once you see me! LOL.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

The pedals shouldn't do this. Either you imagined it (probably:)), or you did a turn and had some turn-related pedal dipping (which you can get rid of by doing a good calibration). EUC pedals should always be rock-solid level, that's kind of the principle how they work.

I was turning a lot and dipping much harsher than a normal rider would. I think that plus being on a hill may have done it. It happened on the grass too, i didnt have the torque to push forward, due to the terrain and my slow slow speed. 

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Btw. the ride modes are just about how soft or hard the wheel reacts. "Learner", "experienced" is misleading. Actually, soft mode is probably the hardest to ride. At least the super-soft mode on the earlier Gotways. It's all about which one you simply like best -soft, medium, hard.

Enjoying your stories

Yeah, i realized that when i changed them while standing on it, i was like, oh what is this?? And yeaaah, the softest is so crazy, haha. Although I still think a medium feel might work, but at the same time, im really garbo so it may not matter either way. 

Thanks! Im glad you like them. I'll be posting the video of todays outdoor session soon so people can tell me what im doing wrong, haha. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think at this point, if you can ride around a bit, you either just keep doing that without overthinking it, or concentrate a bit on the twisting to keep the balance. It's not just about "falling" into the turn, but simply twisting your hips to twist the wheel (you don't do this by shifting weight between the feet). Imagine sitting on a bike, going very slowly or standing still, twisting the front wheel methodically to keep upright. Same idea.

Here's an extreme demonstration (fun EUC video by the way, and talk about learning fast, these skaters learn in minutes):

Looking forward to your video.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive seen this video twice. The first time was before I even knew what an EUC was. And then again recently! Love it. These guys are so good, haha. 

And heres my video, just so you can see the level im at so far. Note, not high

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

It's timecoded (7:13) for the twist thing.

I cant even fathom how they all got so comfortable in so little time, haha. 

I posted my video though...look how sketchy i am

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Fun video:thumbup:

I think you're on the right track. Just more practice needed. You're not bad already, especially the on grass stuff towards the end was nice. I believe because you weren't afraid for a moment there and just went along with it.

Some observations:

  • Speed up. You always start going and it works pretty well, then you get scared and slow down and get wobbly and it ends. Speed up instead. The idea is, get on the wheel with help, get going, and once you're going, floor it. You're simply a bit too slow after the initial successful start. Maybe the path's end with the playground is distracting you. No distractions (=no fears) is important.
  • For stopping, stop a bit more dynamic, which goes along with riding a bit faster. Instead of doing a super smooth stop, do a nice meaty braking maneuver and put your foot down just at the right moment after you braked and slowed down and before you lose sideways balance.
    Right now, you're doing panic stops (or run-offs) at low speed, instead go from medium speed to stopped more quickly.
  • Twist, really. In the video you balance by shifting weight between the legs. Imagine instead of driving in a straight line, you drive in a tiny snake sinus like wiggly line, controlled simply by relaxedly twisting your upper body against your lower body. That's how the wheel balances itself. At 1:30 (especially) and 4:13 you're instinctively almost doing it.

But as said, you're good:efee47c9c8: Just keep riding and enjoy.

Ideal for you would be a wide road with no obvious end in sight or stuff on the side to distract or concern you. Then, whenever you feel like you're losing balance, just speed up. I say you should ride more in one piece instead of doing these 10 second runs and start again, if you can. Can you just do rounds along the street around this park, for example? That seems perfect. Not too much seems to be going on there.

My 2 cents:efee47c9c8:

edit: Going faster will also help to learn to brake better. You can always (emergency) brake by starting to sit down (as hard as necessary). It shifts your center of gravity back so that's why it slows you down.

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, seage said:

Ive seen this video twice. The first time was before I even knew what an EUC was. And then again recently! Love it. These guys are so good, haha. 

And heres my video, just so you can see the level im at so far. Note, not high

 

 

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:<--- That's me LMFAO.  That was the funniest thing I have seen in months.  I'm still :roflmao:  But, hey, and I'm being completely serious here:mellow: I'm laughing with you, not at you ;)  What's that? You're not laughing?  Well I'm laughing FOR you then.:D

But seriously, no really.  Some observations:

1.  YOU CAN RIDE!  OK, you've got a way to go, but YOU CAN RIDE!

2. You're getting better.  As the vid progressed everything got better; you rode further, your wheel wobbled less, your arms flailed less, etc

3. An excellent place to practice: a good launch assist device (seating), a lovely smooth surface.  Nothing to hit, grass to fall on, even if you were wheeling on the path, three surfaces to experience and associated transitions.

4. Don't worry about the arms, they will calm down as the miles go up.

5. Don't worry about the wobbles, they will calm down too.

6. Because your hard surfaces are so smooth, try (not for ever) riding with your legs straight, knees locked.  JUST ON THESE SMOOTH HARD SURFACES, not the grass. It might smooth the wobbles out a bit.  On the grass, or rough surfaces or surfaces you are not familiar with, DO NOT lock your knees (If you want to keep your teeth).

Honestly, if someone videoed me at that stage I would have looked exactly like that.

Just keep practicing, one day soon it will all seem so obvious, but it doesn't come by thinking about it, it come with the miles and hours.

Edited by Smoother
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I think you're on the right track. Just more practice needed. You're not bad already, especially the on grass stuff towards the end was nice. I believe because you weren't afraid for a moment there and just went along with it.

I think for a moment, i just stopped thinking about everything. Truly cleared my mind and was also just kinda free because i didnt have to worry about hitting everything and everyone, loll

9 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Speed up. You always start going and it works pretty well, then you get scared and slow down and get wobbly and it ends. Speed up instead. The idea is, get on the wheel with help, get going, and once you're going, floor it. You're simply a bit too slow after the initial successful start. Maybe the path's end with the playground is distracting you. No distractions (=no fears) is important.

Yeah, im afraid of the speed right now because i feel like im gonna just go down hard if i go too fast. But then going slow leads me to wobbling like mad. Its ridiculous because i watch the video and realize im not actually going that fast. It just feels that way. But yeah for sure its the end of the path and not being able to do a wide turn due to the grass being so slippery. At least thats how i felt every go.

14 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

For stopping, stop a bit more dynamic, which goes along with riding a bit faster. Instead of doing a super smooth stop, do a nice meaty braking maneuver and put your foot down just at the right moment after you braked and slowed down and before you lose sideways balance.
Right now, you're doing panic stops (or run-offs) at low speed, instead go from medium speed to stopped more quickly.

Alright, I'll try that in the next session. A faster acceleration and a heavier stop. I need to get over this, haha. 

15 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Twist, really. In the video you balance by shifting weight between the legs. Imagine instead of driving in a straight line, you drive in a tiny snake sinus like wiggly line, controlled simply by relaxedly twisting your upper body against your lower body. That's how the wheel balances itself. At 1:30 (especially) and 4:13 you're instinctively almost doing it.

I tried to twist more often. I think closer to the beginning i thought about it so i gave it a shot. I started doing the weight shifting thing later, but then at one point it just kinda happened itself, haha. 

16 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

But as said, you're good:efee47c9c8: Just keep riding and enjoy.

Ideal for you would be a wide road with no obvious end in sight or stuff on the side to distract or concern you. Then, whenever you feel like you're losing balance, just speed up. I say you should ride more in one piece instead of doing these 10 second runs and start again, if you can. Can you just do a round along the street around this park, for example? Not too much seems to be going on there.

Theres a bit of a court on the street behind the field, like right across that might be better. The traffic is a bit low there but they come fast as it comes off a main road, haha. So I have to be careful there. Its kinda annoying, honestly. Just no proper backstreets. I always lose my confidence after a few seconds of riding. I dont even realize how short the trip is. Well i didnt until i watched the video back. Its quite telling. Yeesh....

 

Well thanks mate! I'll try to apply some of this next session, hopefully on a safer day.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You're only going to get better:)

9 minutes ago, seage said:

Yeah, im afraid of the speed right now because i feel like im gonna just go down hard if i go too fast.

No, you won't. The faster you are, the more stable you are. Of course you shouldn't race like crazy now (which would work til the next distraction/fear scares you off your balance). But always speed up, slowly get slower and if you feel you're getting instable, just speed up again. Approach a nice point of comfort and stability from the top, not the bottom. Nothing can go wrong unless there's something in the way;)You have wrist guards, right?:D

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Smoother said:

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:<--- That's me LMFAO.  That was the funniest thing I have seen in months.  I'm still :roflmao:  But, hey, and I'm being completely serious here:mellow: I'm laughing with you, not at you ;)  What's that? You're not laughing?  Well I'm laughing FOR you then.:D

Lmfao! Hey, im glad. Id much rather take this whole thing less seriously and have a laugh! It'll be fun to look back on this! LOL

9 minutes ago, Smoother said:

1.  YOU CAN RIDE!  OK, you've got a way to go, but YOU CAN RIDE!

2. You're getting better.  As the vid progressed everything got better; you rode further, your wheel wobbled less, your arms flailed less, etc

3. An excellent place to practice: a good launch assist device (seating), a lovely smooth surface.  Nothing to hit, grass to fall on, even if you were wheeling on the path, three surfaces to experience and associated transitions.

4. Don't worry about the arms, they will calm down as the miles go up.

5. Don't worry about the wobbles, they will calm down too.

6. Because your hard surfaces are so smooth, try (not for ever) riding with your legs straight, knees locked.  JUST ON THESE SMOOTH HARD SURFACES, not the grass. It might smooth the wobbles out a bit.  On the grass, or rough surfaces or surfaces you are not familiar, with DO NOT lock your knees (If you want to keep your teeth).

I noticed a lot of the people in the videos i watch ride close to straight if not locked knees and im like, hoowww? But whatever, i'll give it a try, because if people are doing it, even to learn, then thats gotta mean something, lol. But yeah, i figure 0 suspension on grass or dirt and im gonna bounce off the pedals like a spring and go face first into the ground. No thanks.

12 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Honestly, if someone videoed me at that stage I would have looked exactly like that.

Just keep practicing, one day soon it will all seem so obvious, but it doesn't come by thinking about it, it come with the miles and hours.

Thats the main thing. Everyone said it just kinda happened. Even my brother. So i'll keep that in mind. Try out some of these things but not focus too hard on anything, just keep riding and trying to stay off my ass XD. 

Thanks mate. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@meepmeepmayer, I really don't think more speed is the answer right now.  As he said he's afraid of the speed.  He's a new rider, and he comes off regularly.  So what?  Let him run off at these low speeds and walk away every time.  Adding speed this early would be problematic and potentially dangerous.  Tomorrow, he will come off less, and less still the day after.  He's riding fast enough in my opinion.  Right now, new neural pathways are being formed in his brain. They form through this repeated practice; just like guitar or piano or anything else.  By this time next week (assuming it doesn't rain for a week) he'll be doing just fine.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, meepmeepmayer said:

You're only going to get better:)

No, you won't. The faster you are, the more stable you are. Of course you shouldn't race like crazy now (which would work til the next distraction/fear scares you off your balance). But always speed up, slowly get slower and if you feel you're getting instable, just speed up again. Approach a nice point of comfort and the point of stability from the top, not the bottom. Nothing can go wrong unless there's something in the way;)You have wrist guards, right?:D

Ah i see.... Yeah...it makes sense, like with any bike. I guess i feel like i should already be stable at the speed im going, but i suppose the smaller wheel and the fact theres only 1 changes things a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Smoother Also a good point. @seage just do what feels right and what you're comfortable with. But a little excitement can't hurt. Or maybe it can in this case? Who knows:efef77eaf5:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@meepmeepmayer how much do you charge for your coaching?  I'm getting $20 for every 500 words; including these.:D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get commissions from a lot of hospitals🤑 Remember guys, speed, speed speed;)

(Actually I'm serious about the speed if it isn't too much. 20kph/12mph is fine for learning, I think.)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

I get commissions from a lot of hospitals🤑 Remember guys, speed, speed speed;)

(Actually I'm serious about the speed if it isn't too much. 20kph/12mph is fine for learning, I think.)

:roflmao:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

"Look where you want to go!"  Repeat this as a mantra. I repeated that a hundred time to the GF. She learned fast.

Every time things got iffy was when you started looking down...(this is not where you want to go ;) )

This is the most important of all. It will come handy when you will want to turn. 

Even as you will progress. Eyes, head, shoulders (arms and hands will eventually follow automatically), hips, feet in that order. Cheers!

Edited by pico
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 3:54 AM, Smoother said:

Maybe you have scoliosis or one leg is shorter than the other or both, or one created the other.

That thought had crossed my mind but upon inspection my legs are the same length. I just feel a little manly with my "captain morgan's" stance. Maybe I should ride with a bottle of rum in my hand. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, pico said:

Look where you want to go!"  Repeat this as a mantra. I repeated that a hundred time to the GF. She learned fast.

Every time things got iffy was when you started looking down...(this is not where you want to go  )

I thought you were onto something, so I watched some of the video again, and I couldn't see @seage looking down before any fall.  Did you?

BTW @seage nice editing to take out all the walking back to the start, drudgery.  Gave a real "Ground Hog Day" feel to it.  Maybe that's why it was so funny.  Nah, the falling, definitely the falling, and the flailing, oooh..oooh and the wobbling.. :D

But, you had it good, In my day (pull on his old man pants) I didn't have a fricking trolley, and my 14" wheel was stocky.  It did my back in, hunched over, pushing the wheel back to a launch sight dozens of times a day.  Learning how to launch with one foot saved my back from a permanent stoop.  As you get better try to stay near your launch site.  That way when you come off, the walk back is shorter.  Not too close though, those stands will rearrange your face in no time flat.

Edited by Smoother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I thought you were onto something, so I watched some of the video again, and I couldn't see @seage looking down before any fall.  Did you?

 

1:57, 2:25 , 2:34, 2:40 and I stopped counting. ;)

Shoulder slump before looking at the pedals. Typical. I guess my eyes are trained. Caught the GF hundreds of times. ;)

 

Edited by pico

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×