Lightest 20km/h wheel on the market?

KevinvdV

Hi guys, 

I love cruising on my inmotion v10, but my gf wants something smaller for her own. Lighter and more compact for on the train. 

I know the Inmotion v5f is pretty light, with it's 12kg. But I wonder if there's another one I have to look at 

I notice from the model numbers of the i5 that the bigger one has 20700 batteries.  Everything in the electric vehicle world seems to revolve around the 18650 format.  Any thoughts on the 20700? a quick google shows a Sanyo model with 4000mAh.  Sounds pretty good.

I really like the i5.  It's the only answer to the minimalist question

11 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I notice from the model numbers of the i5 that the bigger one has 20700 batteries.  Everything in the electric vehicle world seems to revolve around the 18650 format.  Any thoughts on the 20700? a quick google shows a Sanyo model with 4000mAh.  Sounds pretty good.

I really like the i5.  It's the only answer to the minimalist question

There's nothing "magical" about the 20700's having higher capacities: the cell itself is larger (about 20x70mm, vs. about 18x65mm for 18650's), so it has higher volume and thus more capacity with the same material structure/chemistry as the other (ie. comparing NCA 18650 and NCA 20700, the 20700 will have more total capacity but will also take up more space).

battery-classifications-18650-20700-2170

(180650 is probably a typo in the above picture, I'm pretty sure they mean 18650)

18650's seem to be more common, and maybe cheaper at the moment because of economies of scale, but I think the Gigafactory is/will produce 20700's, so it might change in the future.

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

V5F for a more normal wheel, i5 for fantastic portability.

But 20kph is too slow:ph34r:

I know it's slow 😅 but it fits perfectly for the use case. 

I'm not sure where I would buy the i5, seems expensive compared to the V5F on Gearbest (350 euros in december) 

30 minutes ago, esaj said:

IPS i5 comes to mind, I think it was something like 8kg 7.5kg.

QQ_Photo20170607123241.jpg

i5-Slenders-Beauty.jpg

The 20700 model looks like what's she's after. Thanks for the suggestion! I'm afraid it's to expensive though (for reference I got my V10 for €700)

You should think seriously about the KS-14D - it is small and light (and has a great trolley handle to avoid many "carrying" situations). Most importantly, it is able to go 30 km/h - and while you may say that isn't necessary, I am sure it will be useful at some point in the future...

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the i5 almost 6 months ago as my first EUC.  No regrets. 

Someone told me I would get rid of it quickly because it's "too slow" but I have no plans to get rid of it until it dies.

I got it because it was light weight, portable, and small.  I can take it most places no problem and don't attract as much attention as a huge wheel or scooter.  The lack of speed also prevents me from killing myself so that is a plus. This has been very practical for me.

That being said, I have no plans of going fast on an EUC, I just don't trust any of these single axis balancing devices.  If you do have the need for speed then this is not for you, but if you need something convenient, practical, and lightweight for short hops this thing is amazing.

I also got the i5 and even though I have the Z10 I still ride the i5 frequently, the portability is nice and I also like that it doesn't solicit as much attention as the Z10.

I love the i5 but I wouldn't recommand it since it sounds like IPS has not been responsive and might have closed up shop. 

I understand why someone would consider the i5 portable.  Under real world, lugging around 16.5lbs is going to get heavy depending on how far you need to lug it.  My recommendation would be the KS14D.  It isn't that much heavier, but it has more range, more speed, more power and most importantly a trolley handle.  She can wheel it around instead of carrying it.  Only need to carry it up the stairs if there are any.  

the KS14D beats the v5f in every category.  

Archived