Hoverboards/Balanceboards still giving PEV's a bad rep

Coffee guy

Although I don't frequent that section of the forum, this is for all of us concerned about our beloved euc's getting a bad rep.

This recent article is about yet "another" hoverboard catching fire..on Christmas day, while under the tree as a gift.

It's written in French, so if you want to read it, you may need a translator (is: google translate, or Bing).

This is all fyi.

IMG_20190103_204901_447.JPG

Eh. Eventually there will be so many scooters and other PEVs not catching fire, people will see it's not a thing. I think this particular perception of danger is more limited to hoverboards on their own. And if people are more mindful and careful around their battery-powered vehicles, that can't hurt, too.

Seems more like someone should crack down on these cheap Chinese battery hoverboards.

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Eh. Eventually there will be so many scooters and other PEVs not catching fire, people will see it's not a thing.

I agree. But in the meantime, and considering the bad rap, as well as people's resistance to anything new and the masses ' tendency to generaliza, and general lack of information & common sense.... These cheap Chinese fire starters aren't helping PEV acceptance and are detrimental for the community at large 😔 

15 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Eh. Eventually there will be so many scooters and other PEVs not catching fire, people will see it's not a thing. I think this particular perception of danger is more limited to hoverboards on their own. And if people are more mindful and careful around their battery-powered vehicles, that can't hurt, too.

Seems more like someone should crack down on these cheap Chinese battery hoverboards.

This is already a thing. I don’t know anyone who thinks electric scooters will catch on fire or any who has questioned the safety or charging an electric unicycles(manly because they have no idea how it works or if it’s even electric)

this is strictly a hover board issue and no one is confusing the fires with other PEV’s

2 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

this is strictly a hover board issue and no one is confusing the fires with other PEV’s

I agree, that's true among people who know what a hoverboard or an EUC is. Among people who refer to all PEVs as "those damn electric thingies" (as in 80+-year-olds) it's a whole different story 😂 

Not much can be gone in that domain, so...electric thingies it is

😂

2 hours ago, travsformation said:

I agree, that's true among people who know what a hoverboard or an EUC is. Among people who refer to all PEVs as "those damn electric thingies" (as in 80+-year-olds) it's a whole different story 😂 

Not much can be gone in that domain, so...electric thingies it is

😂

On the contrary, the older people ask me quite often “is it gas powered?”

2 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

That's because old people have a lot of gas, and they're trying to find a better use for it, other than farting it into their recliner cushion.B)

4 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I guess it depends on where you live. Here in Spain a 92-year-old woman was killed by an e-scooter, which triggered public outrage, fairly harsh regulations in some cities, and a fair bit of animosity among the elderly towards all things electric-powered... 

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

That's because old people have a lot of gas, and they're trying to find a better use for it, other than farting it into their recliner cushion.B)

😂😂😂

Laugh now, we'll get there one day too 😉😂

19 minutes ago, travsformation said:

Here in Spain a 92-year-old woman was killed by an e-scooter, which triggered public outrage, fairly harsh regulations in some cities, and a fair bit of animosity among the elderly towards all things electric-powered... 

Oh dear! That's not good at all.

2 hours ago, Coffee guy said:

It's indeed sad about the elderly woman in Spain, but who was at fault?  (not that it matters to Politicians)

As was to be expected, they demonized PEVs instead of the reckless rider...(who was going WAY too fast on the sidewalk). And thus, we have strict PEV regulations in several major cities (with more on the way...possibly including state-level ones...). 

1 hour ago, travsformation said:

As was to be expected, they demonized PEVs instead of the reckless rider...(who was going WAY too fast on the sidewalk). And thus, we have strict PEV regulations in several major cities (with more on the way...possibly including state-level ones...). 

I wouldn't mind seeing outage towards people behaving recklessly on any vehicle, not just eScooters.

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I wouldn't mind seeing outage towards people behaving recklessly on any vehicle, not just eScooters.

Yeah, that would be ideal, especially considering how people drive in this country. 

But the "mob mind" directed their anger at the entire PEV collective... not just reckless riders....

Archived