Best Winter Wheel

winterwheel

Hey, since you've got time in with the Inmotions ... the app did something strange this week. Turned on the damn camera all by itself. The moment I held the phone vertical. Never saw it do that before. Ever see that happen? Nearly shit myself when I saw it.

• 2 weeks later...

After spending the last couple of weeks riding the V8 and feeling comfortable with the whole winter commuting thing on that wheel, today I decided to see what it would be like to  switch back to the ACM2. The decision was in part because yesterday was colder than usual (-11c) and the V8 dropped about 50% just for the one day commute. 

What a change! The V8 is totally viable for this kind of work, but wow, the ACM2 was so much better. The V8 feels like you have to manage its way across different surfaces, whereas the heavier and faster ACM2 absorbed most of the road issues and left me to worry about only navigation. Also, it was a relief not to have to worry about constant tiltback.

Even in today's cold weather, it was nice to open it up and blow past some bicycles this morning.

I love the little V8, it does its job admirably, but it isn't one tenth the wheel that the ACM2 is when it comes to winter riding.

I will say this though, and I think I've mentioned it before; the ladies seem to love the V8 when I ride it around perhaps because it is slower and pretty; the dudes like the ACM2 because it blows the doors off everything on the bike paths.

Just the  factory tire still.

Works fine for commuting here in the city, but I discovered over my week away in the mountains that I'll be needing something better for navigating snowy semi-packed trails. The wheel kept sinking into ruts which was okay when travelling either downhill or on level surfaces, but going uphill it would it would sink into the rut and then just start spinning.

I'm hoping to put a trail/winter tire onto the V8 sometime later on this winter and see if that does any better.

My knobby tire definitely helped on any soft ground like snow, mud, wet grass, etc. The knobs can dig in nicely and the exact problem you described (tire spinning when going out of a slippery rut) is greatly reduced.

Just got a new one for this winter. You inspired me to install it right now:)

001jpg

Here's a video of this exact tire (in red) on a V8.

Archived