My 2 month 500 miles review of the ninebot Z10

Hsiang

Now that I had some time to actually acclimate to the wheel, I figure its a good time to do a review on what I think of the wheel. I have gotten over the high speed wobbles but now mainly have issue with braking. Let me know what you think!!

Nice video! You seem to be an unlucky fall magnet:D

I think it's unfair to say EUCs are bad a braking, though. That just seems to be the Ninebot One Z which apparently limits the braking to protect the electronics. So don't extrapolate from the Z to all EUCs. Electric motors can be extremely strong, and from various brake tests and general experience, I don't see a braking weakness in EUCs (as opposed to the Z's downhill behavior, for example), especially if you do not only compare to the best case braking (light bicycle/motorbike with locked tires sliding to a stop) but also to cars, trucks, etc.

Now that EUCs aren't ideal for high speeds has always been clear and is undisputed. One wheel just isn't stable.

On 1/2/2019 at 8:27 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

Nice video! You seem to be an unlucky fall magnet:D

I think it's unfair to say EUCs are bad a braking, though. That just seems to be the Ninebot One Z which apparently limits the braking to protect the electronics. So don't extrapolate from the Z to all EUCs. Electric motors can be extremely strong, and from various brake tests and general experience, I don't see a braking weakness in EUCs (as opposed to the Z's downhill behavior, for example), especially if you do not only compare to the best case braking (light bicycle/motorbike with locked tires sliding to a stop) but also to cars, trucks, etc.

Now that EUCs aren't ideal for high speeds has always been clear and is undisputed. One wheel just isn't stable.

Thank you! I think I am also mostly speaking from being new to the EUC would, I figure no one would ever mistake me for an expert of any sort! =D

I have heard that there are issues with braking specific to the Z10 and I hope that they will address it via firmware in the future, however I doubt that I'll ever feel safe to ride that much faster in the sort of chaotic traffic pattern here in NYC. 

Again as someone relatively new to this, reading through forums and reddit subs there are lots of interest to push for higher speed on these wheels, since top speed and accelleration are metrics most people associate with motorized vehicle. It was actually not clear to me until I had more experiences the level of risk associated with speed above 30mph.

On 1/1/2019 at 10:06 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

DUDE! That is an awesome review... I love the rum comparison - when I am in New York next (or when you are in New Zealand) we will have to compare rums and EUCs!!!   :cheers:

Ha, glad you like it! And yes, there's a huge EUC community here in NYC, you should look us up if you ever come for a visit!

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect it is the form factor of the Z10 that makes it a bad braker, because from what I see the only parts touching the wheel during the braking process are just the bottoms of your feet. In contrast just about every other wheel you touch at four points during braking (S1 and MCM5 excepted).

This means braking on the Z10 is highly dependant on a rider's skill to be perfectly balanced between the two footpads instead of our usual "sorta but not really balanced" we usually do when we have sidepads to take up the slack.

Also, EUCs may be much better on the brakes than we give them credit for.

Usually, most people including me think braking ability is something like this.

Bicycle > 18 incher > 16 incher > 14 incher

However, my informal testing is more like this.

18 incher > the rest including bicycles.

I dunno why, maybe throwing your wheel out in front while pushing with your legs doesn't feel like your stopping very hard, and the bigger balloon tires of the 18 inchers give more confidence? Bicycles feel like they stop very hard, but they aren't actually stopping that hard.

See, that's what I hate about observations; always making a liar out of me...

Archived