KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

28 minutes ago, Daniel-Son said:

Did 20 miles today before the rain again. I decided to keep the 43 psi and force myself to ride. Now that I know the 16X mimic’s the riding style of the Z10 I try to adapt and learn. And yes it does feel exactly how everyone describes how the Z10 rides. Having never tried the Z10, my first impression of the 16X was not to my liking. But after riding in for 20 miles, it’s starting to feel much better now. There is a learning curve with this wheel especially me coming from a 18L. I thought it would be a smooth transition from the 18L to the 16X but, they are two different riding style wheels. At 10 mph and under the wheel turn so easily, the faster you go the more the wheel wants to stay upright. It’s sort of rides like my Onewheel XR  except I’m not riding side to side but more of a forward position. It gonna take a lot of learning but I’m eager to learn. Now if only I could make it stop raining..

Yeah I hated it too at first, and thought one false move and I was going to die.  Now I have 30 miles on the wheel and liking it quite a bit more. Compared to the V8, it's like a Bentley, heavy and smooth. You can't believe you're going as fast as you are until you hear the alarm.  I still get an occasional wobble and then just straighten out my legs to make it go away.  I weigh 66kg (145lbs) and am currently riding 27psi.  Still want to play with the pressure + or - to see if I can tweak my ride even further.

Edited by HarpMudd
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Different rider behavior I guess. Some people ride less "extreme" and may not entice that oscillation even if it might be lurking in the background. And maybe there are subtle differences between boards (gyro sensors) that somehow have an influence. Or is it the tire pressure? Rider weight? Not the first mysterious head scratcher in this world of EUCs.

The random tilt problem on my wheel has nothing to do with rider style. I had it happen when I wasn't even on the wheel! The wheel was stationary and I was holding the handle. Suddenly it started tilting back.

I'm getting random tilt backs and tilt forwards every few minutes. Maybe this is a unique hardware problem in my wheel, but I suspect there's a issue that shows up with different severity on different wheels due to something like variation in gyro performance.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

The random tilt problem on my wheel has nothing to do with rider style. I had it happen when I wasn't even on the wheel! The wheel was stationary and I was holding the handle. Suddenly it started tilting back.

I'm getting random tilt backs and tilt forwards every few minutes. Maybe this is a unique hardware problem in my wheel, but I suspect there's a issue that shows up with different severity on different wheels due to something like variation in gyro performance.

Can you post a video showing this?

11 hours ago, Rywokast said:

im 120 lbs.. i firmly believe that anyone can get used to any tire pressure its simply a matter of just that, getting used to it.. you get better mileage, its more nimble

Whoa man, I thought I was going to be the light-weight in this group at 135, lol.  I’m totally with you on the tire pressure though I have yet to ride my first wheel ever.  For the last two years I rode a Haibike eBike and the bozo shop owner was trying to convince me to keep the pressure lower than the printed recommendation on the tire. Whenever I noticed that my battery life was dwindling too soon it was always that the pressure had gone down in the tires!  Once back up to max I was getting nearly an entire day more battery life and the nimble front tire experience way more enjoyable.  

Im going to start my EUC learning at the max pressure when my 16X arrives but hopefully by then they’ll also have all the small quirks ironed out as well .

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

Can you post a video showing this?

It's hard to catch because it seemingly happens randomly. Here's a video of it slowly going back to level after tilting back while on the floor.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CampDylan said:

Im going to start my EUC learning at the max pressure when my 16X arrives but hopefully by then they’ll also have all the small quirks ironed out as well .

Start at 15 psi to learn in the parking lot. Then bump it up to 20-25 when you’re comfortable doing laps in your neighborhood.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

Here's a video of it slowly going back to level after tilting back while on the floor.

That's normal. When nearly but not quite level and standing still, the wheel will slowly crawl to level. My ACM does that, too. That seems to be a normal behavior of the balancing algorithm not reacting hard when it detects that the wheel isn't changing its tilt fast and therefore doesn't have to react quickly. Try your other wheels, they might do the same.

As soon as you move the wheel then, it will instantly go to level. Unless it does NOT do that, this is normal.

edit: Clarification, this is right after you switched it on but didn't move it yet, right? This would be the situation I'm referring to. Or did it tilt from level and then went back to level?

Edited by meepmeepmayer

2 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

As for cutting neoprene, we switched to laser... Much easier than scissors!

Not particularly cool or impressive. It's the 21st century. You need to cut with lasers AND sharks to even start to register on the coolness graph these days. Please try harder.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

Jason's expecting to hear something from KingSong early next week.

How do you know this? Kingsong has said they would announce something? What could be announced?

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

That's normal. When nearly but not quite level and standing still, the wheel will slowly crawl to level. My ACM does that, too. That seems to be a normal behavior of the balancing algorithm not reacting hard when it detects that the wheel isn't changing its tilt fast and therefore doesn't have to react quickly. Try your other wheels, they might do the same.

As soon as you move the wheel then, it will instantly go to level. Unless it does NOT do that, this is normal.

That video is just showing the aftermath. The actual issue is my wheel will randomly tilt both forwards and back at ANY speed or riding situation.

2 minutes ago, SamSuffit said:

How do you know this? Kingsong has said they would announce something? What could be announced?

Jason told me in an e-mail after I notified him of the problem. I'm not expecting a public announcement, just some kind of response to Jason.

Edited by Jon Stern
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

That video is just showing the after effects. The actual issue is my wheel will randomly tilt both forwards and back at ANY speed or riding situation.

In that case the after effects seem to be expected behavior... but certainly not what came before!

(lasers ON sharks my friend!)

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jon Stern said:

Jason told me in an e-mail after I notified him of the problem.

Ok thanks. I misunderstood and thought kingsong was about to do a larger communication, not only on 1 specific wheel.

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

In that case the after effects seem to be expected behavior... but certainly not what came before!

(lasers ON sharks my friend!)

Yes. The leveling is normal behavior. I haven't managed to video the problem happening (maybe it's time for me to finally try riding with a camera on a stick?).

The video was not proof. I'm asking people to accept that the wheel had suddenly tilted back moments before.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Went for a little ride past my wife on the driveway and she just waved. ;) It looks  like my Z10 from a distance. 

:roflmao:

"Why are you always staying away from me all of a sudden?"

"Why can't I find my glasses? Have you seen my glasses?"

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

I’ve camouflaged the wheel a bit in my barn to give the appearance that it’s been around for awhile in case my wife goes snooping. 

"Why can't I find my garage barn keys? Where are they? You can't always offer to get stuff for me, Dan honey! I wonder where I left my keys..."

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

Someone a GW must have forgot to install a magnet(s).

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Someone a GW must have forgot to install a magnet(s).

Those Gotway gnomes can be real pain in the behind for sure. What you (or KS in this case) needs to do is always remember to leave out a plate with milk or other similar offerings at night, otherwise they will cause all kinds of problems around the house. It used to be they only cause cows to dry off, but even they are getting with the times now.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

Registration and calibration complete with the speed locked in at 50kph. I attempted to set it at a higher speed but the GW app just defaults back to the factory settings. I’m fine with this speed for the next 125 miles. 

Went for a little ride past my wife on the driveway and she just waved. ;) It looks  like my Z10 from a distance. 

The wheel does not exhibit any unpleasant -first time riding quirks when compared to the other 12 wheels I ridden. It actually feels like there’s a synthesis between the MCM5 and the Z10 which is great! 

48447147712_8199fe87c0_b.jpg

I’ve camouflaged the wheel a bit in my barn to give the appearance that it’s been around for awhile in case my wife goes snooping. 

It’s too early in the game to judge the wheel. It’s currently on charge so hopefully I can ride it tonight. 

I have one complaint so far (I’m sure there will be more) that the right pedal will not stow in the upright position. Someone at GW must have forgotten to install a magnet(s).

I’ll need to slide a secondary magnet over the the shell and pedal to locate which area is missing the magnet.  I can’t imagine both magnets eliminated during assembly but anything is possible. 

HEY @Jason McNeil  I need a magnet!  Just what he wants to hear. :facepalm:

You've managed to use a Gotway app for your 16X? Impressive ;)

• Like 1