KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

4 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

sorry, not my cup of tea since it isn't at all practical.  not sure why anyone would fall for this as if you think about how you ride, this wouldn't work.  no side pads.  who makes a pedal out of totally slippery metal?  

the middle is supposed to be some engine?  2 stroke?  

can't tell if the suspension is functional.  

again, if it was working and if there was a lot of interest, i'm sure they would have made it already.  

I agree that this wheel would hurt like hell with the roll cage along with the extra wide stance between your legs but someone put some serious thought into this concept. The pedals would be an easy fix. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mike Paolini said:

@mrelwood Yea, he's like that.  Had to block him on facebook and thinking about doing it here - he'd deny basic things like the MSX tire being bigger (calling it Gotway marketing etc).  It's the Dunning Kruger effect I think.  Best to ignore him.

I think you must be mistaken buddy.  I don't recall ever saying the tire isn't bigger.  I call GW lying because they call the wheel a 19" wheel when you can clearly see the tire says 18"x3".  Same with the monster, the tire doesn't say 22".   Just like how they say 1600wh, I call it lying, you call it rounding just like a GW fanboy would say to defend GW.

9 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

I agree that this wheel would hurt like hell with the roll cage along with the extra wide stance between your legs but someone put some serious thought into this concept. The pedals would be an easy fix. 

Concept car looks cool, but the released version is often toned down a bit. But still concept are there to inspire later comes to play possibilities, economic and practical decisions... I do not thing the early EUC renders are any different. 

Same goes for KS16X, and I am pretty happy about it so far. 

Yes I miss a dedicated rear/break light. I miss seat option. I miss the early suggestion of a display by the handle for battery and maybe temp/voltage read outs. Next gen. maybe.... Time will tell if KS16X meets my high expectations and if I will be as happy with it as I am with my KS18L. I can only hope. 

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

So I found these early suggestions on KS16X or Kingsong 17X on a Russian forumrsuot0_thumb.jpeg.89fd22c19984b991d92e75918a064cf5.jpeg1786ypq_thumb.jpeg.50476348a0c7191759b8494480a4096c.jpeg11q1n8l_thumb.jpeg.a1424f036e128e18d6ee4a2905667831.jpeg

And this it the new released pictures... 

Screenshot_20190610-144504_Opera.thumb.jpg.4b801594a2960a28e4a942557e1553d9.jpgScreenshot_20190610-144528_Opera.thumb.jpg.b4eeeeca6ad6cf9e7e739cc65152bc56.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

believe that KS16X is my best option for upgrade

Just curious. Why do you think the 16X is an upgrade from the 18L? Is it just the larger battery? Or do you think the (slightly) smaller / fatter tire is an advantage? Do you think the difference between an 18XL and 16X is marginal?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, erk1024 said:

Just curious. Why do you think the 16X is an upgrade from the 18L? Is it just the larger battery? Or do you think the (slightly) smaller / fatter tire is an advantage? Do you think the difference between an 18XL and 16X is marginal?

I only have a KS18L right now, so fact from confirm specs is larger battery pack. It is stated too stronger motor and it should give more to on paper, leading to possible fast acceleration and harder breaking. To me it means stronger behaviour in case I have to make emergency maneuvers out of a risk of accident. 

The fatter tyre I expect with lead to better ride comfort and easier balance at walking page. 

Yet I could be wrong. But I will let you know later in review once I get a unit. 😁

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Unventor said:

Yet I could be wrong. But I will let you know later in review once I get a unit. 😁

Looking forward to your evaluation. (I shouldn't be thinking about a "next wheel"--I just got one!)

I could see the advantage of a larger wheel, where I could run the pressure a little lower, and it would soak up bumps better. The Monster could be really fun to cruise on. I also wonder if with my weight (120kg at the moment) if it would be easier for me control the Monster possibly than lighter riders.

I could also see the advantage of a smaller wheel, where it could have more acceleration / braking, so that could mean a 16X or Nikola. 

And then maybe a MSX would be just a bit bigger wheel, with more comfort. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I don't think you can without jumping. The wheel that I've seen in action can ride over large objects without jumping, at a good speed.

But the beauty of all this Eddie is that you don't have to buy the wheel with suspension. But 'we' can.

And yes, you are not easily impressed :D

Marty, there is no jumping in this video, just rolling.  It isn't that difficult.  And this is with a 2.125" tire, 16".  Love this guy... Wish he was still making videos.

Edited by eddiemoy
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Marty, there is no jumping in this video, just rolling.  It isn't that difficult.  And this is with a 2.125" tire, 16".  Love this guy... Wish he was still making videos.

You win Eddie.

Yes, I really enjoyed his videos :thumbup:

13 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Just don’t get why people don’t care about the speakers. I think they are cool. I usually don’t play music through them unless I am in areas crowded with pedestrians; not to be obnoxious, but as an alert to them that I am nearby. They seems to work very well as a pedestrian alert. Plus, my music selection in crowds usually doesn’t contain a bunch of explicit content so people aren’t offended or annoyed. 

To be frank, The KS speakers are not really loud enough to be obnoxious in my opinion. I can barely hear them over even more obnoxious DC traffic noises. During group rides I don’t use my speakers at all; especially, if I am leading the ride because I find them slightly distracting. Several fellow riders play music so usually we have music front, middle, and rear; our procession is pretty noisy.:innocent1:

I do the same. Except I bought a portable speaker. My friend has an 18XL and the speakers are loud and sound great!
Having music on is perfect for alerting pedestrians and also for when you are crawling up a cyclists ass.
Music works better than my bike bell. When I use my bell people look back and see me and then they judge whether they need to move or not. Some people also get offended because HOW DARE I IMPLY THAT THEY ARE IN THE WAY. Can't a whole family spread out on the bike path in peace? How about I ring my bell 4 more times at you? But if you play music... they get curious and look back and see something cool and different and they move and I give them a thumbs up.

And cyclists... man what a laugh. My music is getting closer and closer to you buddy. Louder and louder! Better move to the side or hit those pedals harder.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, erk1024 said:

I would say yes if you consider range an upgrade. The smaller tire as advantage would depend on what you were doing. It should feel quicker due to more low end grunt from smaller diameter wheel. It may climb and descend hills better because of torque. It may have an advantage in off-road terrain over the 18L, but I prefer to wait for the verdicts from the stalwart testers on that one. I suspect the 18” wheel will still feel more comfortable in cruising situations for most riders; and that still constitutes the typical riding situation. A 16” tire should have a handling advantage, but the wider tire could diminish any advantages.

I have both an 18L and an 18XL.To me an upgrade is a wheel that I would be willing to sell my current wheel to obtain. The 16X is not that wheel for me when it comes to the 18XL or 18L. However, I would add the 16X as an additional fun wheel, and sort of test over time which of my wheels I instinctively grab the most when I want to ride; right now the XL gets that title just because it rides so well, the range security, and it feels so stable and safe; I’m confident that aside from it’s brother the 18L, the XL is the best handling 18” wheel. 

I wouldn’t consider selling my 18L for the 16X because the 18L is such a unique wheel; dynamically, it’s superior to the XL. With the 18L KS created an 18” wheel that handles almost like a 16S; very unique, and in a lot of ways my favorite wheel. The 18L was easily overshadowed by its more lumbering brother because the North American market apparently wants range to conquer our wide open spaces a little more than they want agility. The 16X will have all the same features as the 18L/XL so, it should be a great wheel; upgrade or not.

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I would not want the suspension only on the pedals of my EUC though. My legs would slide along the sides of the EUC as the pedals moved up and down and I would lose grip at critical moments. I would want the suspension on the body of the EUC which in turn is connected to the pedals. With the tire. With my body.

I think you are on to something.  I'm more for this type of suspension.  Only thing that makes this not feasible is the motor wire.  a few hundred miles and the motor wire would break off since it would be moved up and down along with the body movements.  

The suspended pedal is definitely the wrong way to go as you described it, losing contact with the body isn't good.  

47 minutes ago, Unventor said:

No he don't... 

When an EUC comes with active suspension people will buy it. And I will remind Eddie not to get it. 

Same reason why people buy cars with power steering. It is easier. It might work without it, but it becomes so much easier. Suspension is no different.

Once you get an issue with any joint involved you will start to get what I am talking about. Each morning my knees and now also my hips (slowly) are like frozen fish fingers, all stiff and not the same level of control. 

I go for a ride and my knees and hips becomes better until I hit an obstacle with a little too high speed and bones in my knee make contact.

Later during my day my knee soften up but now swollen up and it can partly bend sideways loosing further control. More pain, less control, further risk of injury.... 

Maybe you now see when riding an EUC have become a huge achievement for me, maybe not you Eddie but to me it makes a huge difference as I have less days tied to a chair or sofa. A ride and I feel better unless I ride "too fast and careless". 

(I hardly passes 35kmh anymore)

Then the wish for assisted suspension comes back to mind. 

I'm not young either.  I can't ride forever like some people can, hint (Marty)...  It isn't that I don't want suspension, I just don't think it can be done properly on an EUC.  

Instead of standing, why don't you do what most have done including myself?  Get a sitting EUC.  I can't do without it on longer rides.  Longer meaning anything over an hour.   suspension isn't here and I don't see it ever being here.  In the mean time I sit, you can too.

5 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

A Nikola or a 16x wouldn't be an upgrade for me but a sidegrade and a plan B. If my MSX dies I am screwed.

What will happen if your plan B dies too? You will be doubled screwed!!!

That's why you also need another one for plan C ;)

And D.. (ohmagod I cannot stop!!! Help!!)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kens said:

What will happen if your plan B dies too? You will be doubled screwed!!!

That's why you also need another one for plan C ;)

And D.. (ohmagod I cannot stop!!! Help!!)

Haha true story. Then I will have to leave the EUC world as they will no longer be reliable to me. Sure I have other toys to ride like my longboards and 30km range is quite decent but being able to go anywhere is just too good. But yes... a Z10 and a MCM5 would be nice to have as well. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Suspension would be perfect for seated riding! I have become quite decent at riding seated on my MSX but even with 20 PSI sometimes I feel like i'm gonna break my ass. Sure I put pressure on my feet and offload the wheel from my butt if I can see 100% of all bumps but an optional suspension with lockout / no lockout and no penalty for having it other than price would be a cool option. An inherent disadvantage would be the added complexity of such a feature though.

My friend rides a Lacroix which is a rather expensive electric longboard. It has a top speed of 65km/h and range of about 50km (less if he rides top speed). We cruise together sometimes and we both ride between 30-40kmh. Then he goes home, checks the bearings, sometimes cleans them, changes trucks, or bushing/shock blocks, maybe adds new tape. I just ride mine. Wipe it down now and then if it's muddy or dusty. He asked me once why I don't open it and check the bearings. I just laughed.

Zero maintenance. Just the way I like it. 3000km on it. 2000km the first 4 months. 1000km the past 30 days.

I tried an 18XL last week and it clicked instantly. It was a perfect fit. I didn't have to force myself to like it like with the MSX. The MSX took me 2000km to get used to. Now after riding it even more it feels agile and before I thought it was hardly manageable. The Nikola has an attractive spec but the 16x has the fact that it is a Kingsong. If it is like a smaller 18XL then I am sold. The Nikola Plus specs do look very good though and makes the 16x look like a dinosaur before it even came out! 

A Nikola or a 16x wouldn't be an upgrade for me but a sidegrade and a plan B. If my MSX dies I am screwed.

you need to learn to lift your butt off the seat when you see a bump coming just for a split second.  

lol, i hated the MSX, the 18L just rides intuitively and naturally.  i think for those who don't have to have over 31mph, it is the better wheel in all other things besides top speed.  If you enable tiltback on both, the 18L is actually 1 mile faster.  

if you are in to seated rides, why not go with either the 18S or monster.  the 18S is much more manageable than the monster, but the monster has bigger wheels and should do better at high speed cruising.  

2 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

you need to learn to lift your butt off the seat when you see a bump coming just for a split second.  

lol, i hated the MSX, the 18L just rides intuitively and naturally.  i think for those who don't have to have over 31mph, it is the better wheel in all other things besides top speed.  If you enable tiltback on both, the 18L is actually 1 mile faster.  

if you are in to seated rides, why not go with either the 18S or monster.  the 18S is much more manageable than the monster, but the monster has bigger wheels and should do better at high speed cruising.  

I was looking at the 18s last year. The monster is indeed... a monster. Too big for me in every way I think. They are both a bit old tech as well especially the 18s.

Haha yeah i've read through pretty much most of this forum and remember how badly the MSX clicked with you. As it did for me. Yesterday I hit my highest speed ever for like 0.1 seconds. I hit 51.5kmh which is a tiny bit over 31mph. Not a speed I would feel comfortable cruising at but who knows maybe the XL is comfortable at that speed. It wouldn't surprise me. The tiltback on the MSX is quite funny... it's such a slow gradual tiltback so I bet I could ride it at 58kmh. I'll do some lower speed tiltback tests tomorrow and see.

Not only is the 18XL faster it's also faster for longer. Which brings me to the vital question regarding the 16x. Will it also let us dip into 3.0V?

59 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I was looking at the 18s last year. The monster is indeed... a monster. Too big for me in every way I think. They are both a bit old tech as well especially the 18s.

Haha yeah i've read through pretty much most of this forum and remember how badly the MSX clicked with you. As it did for me. Yesterday I hit my highest speed ever for like 0.1 seconds. I hit 51.5kmh which is a tiny bit over 31mph. Not a speed I would feel comfortable cruising at but who knows maybe the XL is comfortable at that speed. It wouldn't surprise me. The tiltback on the MSX is quite funny... it's such a slow gradual tiltback so I bet I could ride it at 58kmh. I'll do some lower speed tiltback tests tomorrow and see.

Not only is the 18XL faster it's also faster for longer. Which brings me to the vital question regarding the 16x. Will it also let us dip into 3.0V?

I don’t see why KS would abandon their battery algorithm.  So we should be able to use it until the cells go to 3.0V. 

• Like 1