KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

4 hours ago, RoadRunner said:

Got my new wig today :D

Seated

Did you buy that from Europe or China website? 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, mundial said:

Hi all! First post. Received 16x on Friday from eWheels. Firmware 1.05 / CYT tire. I'm 180lbs geared, riding experient mode, no music. I know there's a 16x issues thread but this one is more active, and it's the thread I've been reading for the last 2 months so please forgive me if I just post here...

• The first time I turned it on after fully charging it -- while holding it standstill with the handle up -- it began to shudder with increasing violence until I turned it off. That hasn't happened again on it's own, but I've found it easy to replicate by trolleying it up against the slightest obstacle, as you can see in this video. The motor makes easily audible grinding noises / vibrations at slow speeds. I can't trolley it around the office as it attracts attention and wariness. I went on the SF Saturday group ride where there were several other new 16x - others don't seem to have this issue.
  • The wheel cut out on me at slow speed, ~10km/hr. Making a slow turn on a 11% grade, from going uphill to downhill, 46% battery, the motor disengaged with no warning -- dropped me on my ass and pinwheeled down the street. All scratched up. 
  • There's an occasional slow pedal oscillation which I can't replicate on command.
  • On Sunday I tried twice to update the firmware to 1.06, using Android. It doesn't work.

I noticed on the Saturday group ride that it's fairly easy to ankle flick overlean above ~25kph... @chrisjunlee mentioned this in his pedal dipping post. I'm unclear as to whether this is an issue or not.

Jason has been responsive and helpful -- there is a replacement controller on the way. I will say that when Michael from Kingsong was addressed on the email thread, his answers were quite disappointing.  Acccording to Michael, who saw the same video I linked above, the vibration while trolleying "...is normal, i try all wheels, the vibration and noise is depending on the battery level. Higher the battery level is, the bigger the noise is." Hmm -- that's quite a noise to consider normal.

A few questions: Of the issues (vibration/grinding, the cutout, the oscillation), which might you expect a replacement controller to address? Which would more likely be resolved via firmware? And lastly, which are unlikely to be resolved by either?

What is the production date?

19 hours ago, mundial said:
  • The first time I turned it on after fully charging it -- while holding it standstill with the handle up -- it began to shudder with increasing violence until I turned it off. That hasn't happened again on it's own, but I've found it easy to replicate by trolleying it up against the slightest obstacle, as you can see in this video. The motor makes easily audible grinding noises / vibrations at slow speeds. I can't trolley it around the office as it attracts attention and wariness. I went on the SF Saturday group ride where there were several other new 16x - others don't seem to have this issue.
  • The wheel cut out on me at slow speed, ~10km/hr. Making a slow turn on a 11% grade, from going uphill to downhill, 46% battery, the motor disengaged with no warning -- dropped me on my ass and pinwheeled down the street. All scratched up. 
  • There's an occasional slow pedal oscillation which I can't replicate on command.
  • On Sunday I tried twice to update the firmware to 1.06, using Android. It doesn't work.

2nd Batch here as well - 4 days in, still locked at 18Km ph.  Everything is very smooth on mine with none of those issues, I'm keeping it in fw 1.05 for now.  The one thing I AM experiencing is that weird, slow forward tilt as I'm riding along, then slowly tilts back to level.  I mean it seems to tilt WAY forward.  I believe this is what's been causing most of my "sea sickness" once I've stopped riding, lol.  Also, now when I walk it feels like I'm walking in a dream or moon-walking - legs are moving but I'm not getting anywhere very fast haha...

ALSO:  The tire doesn't hold pressure for more than a day.  Started with 35psi and by the end of the day it was down to 15psi.  I've been pumping back up every day.  Today I finally bought some "Tube Armor" and squirted that in there and pumped it back up to 30psi .  I'm finding that pressure to be good for me, though a bit squirrely .  

Maybe we should start a new thread for 2nd Batch wheels?

Edited by CampDylan
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, BleepBloopBlop said:

Over 1100 miles on the 16X and my biggest advice to new EUC riders would be wear the right shoes with thin soles so that you can feel the pedals. It is downright scary to ride fast over bumpy/uneven terrain when you can't feel the wheel. I've attempted to ride to work in dress shoes, boots, sandals ect and its very stressful being so uncertain if your going to blow a foot off the pedal when hitting bumps.

I know there 5 different shoe threads but what shoes are you wearing that feel right to you? :) I have been wearing some Nike skate shoes but wondering if I need something more rigid.

29 minutes ago, BleepBloopBlop said:

Over 1100 miles on the 16X and my biggest advice to new EUC riders would be wear the right shoes with thin soles so that you can feel the pedals. It is downright scary to ride fast over bumpy/uneven terrain when you can't feel the wheel. I've attempted to ride to work in dress shoes, boots, sandals ect and its very stressful being so uncertain if your going to blow a foot off the pedal when hitting bumps.

Different strokes, as they say. When I ride with thick bouncy insoles in amply cushioned shoes, they stay on the pedals a lot better under rough terrain than thin soled shoes. Just like one of the main points of car suspension, to keep the tire in the ground. To me it was amazing to be able to zoom around on cobble stones while my shoes stayed nailed to the pedals. And the ride was even quite comfortable.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, prasket said:

I know there 5 different shoe threads but what shoes are you wearing that feel right to you? :) I have been wearing some Nike skate shoes but wondering if I need something more rigid.

I just have https://www.leguano.eu/aktiv-lavaschwarz-schwarze-sohle.html - so also for EUC riding. Just a little bit of nothing (for way too much money:( ). But works great - pure feeling! Just in case something happens there is absolutely no protection...

On 9/25/2019 at 4:08 PM, BleepBloopBlop said:

Look into Kuji pad to lock your heels in, at least one leg should always be locked in while you ride.  Helped a lots especially in off road riding...

Resized_20190925_215402.jpeg

Edited by Mark Lee
  • Like 1

Maybe this already has been brought up...

but suggest not to upgrade your devices to iOS 13(.1) since the percentage is showing 100% again all the time and I now have only the voltage as a measurement of status.

Furthermore, still loving the wheel. Yesterday I rode 70km and had around 70.2V left. Still on fw 1.05.

The only downside to the wheel for me is still the trolley handle that doesn’t  want to stay in place even after tightening the screws every 3 days....

2 weeks ago I went to a mechanic and we added something that would hold the screws into place(don’t know the name), it worked perfectly for during 2-3weeks. Now I am back where we started.

Got the spare tire yesterday (probably will not use it... )

Also, the “charging outlet in the back” , I managed to loose the rubber lid ... So I have to figure out how to seal it up (or buy a new) if/when it gets wet outside.

Edited by Azze80

On 9/24/2019 at 9:00 PM, mundial said:

Hi all! First post. Received 16x on Friday from eWheels. Firmware 1.05 / CYT tire. I'm 180lbs geared, riding experient mode, no music. I know there's a 16x issues thread but this one is more active, and it's the thread I've been reading for the last 2 months so please forgive me if I just post here...

I noticed on the Saturday group ride that it's fairly easy to ankle flick overlean above ~25kph... @chrisjunlee mentioned this in his pedal dipping post. I'm unclear as to whether this is an issue or not.

Jason has been responsive and helpful -- there is a replacement controller on the way. I will say that when Michael from Kingsong was addressed on the email thread, his answers were quite disappointing.  Acccording to Michael, who saw the same video I linked above, the vibration while trolleying "...is normal, i try all wheels, the vibration and noise is depending on the battery level. Higher the battery level is, the bigger the noise is." Hmm -- that's quite a noise to consider normal.

A few questions: Of the issues (vibration/grinding, the cutout, the oscillation), which might you expect a replacement controller to address? Which would more likely be resolved via firmware? And lastly, which are unlikely to be resolved by either?

No good answer for you.  I'd update to 1.06 because there are bug fixes and improvements - maybe find a friend with an iPhone, or try the android app I hear they have on their web site..  I know every is mad about 1.06 being "over cautions" on throttling, but for now lets assume the engineers had a good reason...  1.07 I'm told should be in a week or so.

Also I've never seen the cut-out myself.  Wonder what your battery level was?

The slow peddle oscillation - I wonder if this is the forward tilt, backward tilt we talk about?  If so you can try the BlueTooth update as there was an known issue with the BT module interfering with the controller.   On 1.06 this problem persists for me, though I didn't really see it on the beta of 906 so I'm hoping 1.07 will finally address it.

Lastly I don't get vibration/grinding.

My 2 cents, firmware fixes a lot, but I suspect they need an update to the controller invoking shielding from all RF and EM noise. 

On 9/24/2019 at 5:47 PM, nex said:

Does anyone on firmware 1.05 get a strong flash of the headlight when the wheel is turning off? It makes a sound and then flashes hard which feels like a light bulb shorting out.

This is on a new 16X I just got from batch 2.

Yes, mine does that.  I don’t mind it because it makes me feel assured that is actually off.

Do you get the slow tilt forward and then back again randomly while riding?

I've been riding firmware 1.05 for the last 2 days i was on test firmware 906

The test firmware  is alot better to ride , it's smoother and there's no tilts ,,in 1.05 i did feel little tingly vibration when riding ether that was the pressure or road surface i don't know but i didn't feel it in 906🙁, the 906 actually seems more responsive in acceleration not that 1.05 is bad .i did 30miles on 1.05 yesterday and still had 56% battery left , when going up hill the voltage was at 70v i probably went slower on the 1.05 firmware at 70v due to i new it wouldn't throttle me until 67v but that's where it cut out on few people so it was always in my mind lol ,i didn't have time to test the rest of the battery either,

If kingsong start to throttle at 70v and still give us good speed down to 67v (region of 23-25mph) and after 67v they can give us 18mph ish  it will be a good compromise in saftey ,

I'll stay on 1.05 for now and see how it goes I'll test the rest of the 50% battery when the weather clears up lol. I'll test it on the track at 25mph down to 67v so i know where my limits are when on the road , i only usually do fast in bursts but boy does this wheel get up there fast and you don't notice your going 25mph . When my Tests are done I'll set alarms to my safe zones 👍👍

Btw what do you guys think about where the throttling and speed should be at ,  Bear in mind kingsong batteries go lower than gotways in terms of voltage and at 66v gotways would be at 0% battery

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, stephen said:

Btw what do you guys think about where the throttling and speed should be at ,  Bear in mind kingsong batteries go lower than gotways in terms of voltage and at 66v gotways would be at 0% battery

I tend to agree with you. Full boar to 70v and 23 to 25mph down to 67v. 15 to 18mph beyond that. Should be able (in normal mixed riding) to get 30 to 40 miles of care free riding and if taking a longer journey just stay under 25mph without gunning it from dead stops taking the range into the mid 50s. 

I will admit I have grown a liking to gotway's approach of beeping for battery related speed warnings and only tilting back at the set speed. I'm always surprised when the battery is low enough on my 16s to hit tiltback before the beeps. It would be great to have a toggle in the app to change tiltback/alarm handling. 

I'm confident kingsong feels their approach is safer (with wind noise and traffic I can't argue with not hearing the alarm) but I'd like the choice :rolleyes:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CampDylan said:

Yes, mine does that.  I don’t mind it because it makes me feel assured that is actually off.

Do you get the slow tilt forward and then back again randomly while riding?

You should try to calibrate your wheel. Place the wheel on a stand.and use a level. Make sure you truly level front and back, side to side. When the wheel is just a little off calibration, it seem to have a hard time leveling when you are in motion. 
And also check the valve stem in your tire and make sure it tight.

Edited by Daniel-Son
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Flying W said:

Should be able (in normal mixed riding) to get 30 to 40 miles of care free riding and if taking a longer journey just stay under 25mph without gunning it from dead stops taking the range into the mid 50s. 

I get 30+ miles not caring about speed accelerating fast going up hills etc before throttling so 40/45 miles at good speeds will be good kingsong just need to give us good speed from 70v to 67v and we'll acheive 40/45 miles of fun .. After that i don't care about the miles after that and speed

• Like 1