KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

2 hours ago, Adam Finch said:

This is a concern for me and I am currently shopping around for an EUC to commute in Seattle. What EUCs are out there with this particular attribute?

MCM5 is perfect for Seattle’s hills - it makes the city feel flat. Downside: you can’t really do under construction roads. Bike lanes are fine.

Ever since picking up the KS16X, I’ve been taking empty roads. I say empty because cars get road rage, and unless you can go 15 above speed limit comfortably, you’re going to be the target of a lot of rage. In other words, I’m effective still constrained to bike lanes for commuting.

In that regards, MCM5 has the edge due to no effort hill climbing. I do a lot of night riding on empty roads, so the 16X makes sense.

IMHO, the only wheel decent at true road commuting, would be a next gen monster with 50mph cruising speed. Current 100V monster cruises at 40mph, so that would constrain you to 25mph streets (to use my 15mph road rage escape rule).

tl;dr besides road conditions, factor in angry drivers. I get honked at and aggressively passed a lot on the road. 2 wtf incidents last night at midnight, like seriously?

34 minutes ago, Girth Brooks said:

*except for when you actually learn to ride it properly, then this goes away*

That does not reduce the tendency a wheel can have to tramline. It all depends on the surface. Ride it on a very long crack in the road that approx goes where you need to go and it will pull on you.

I ride mine nearly every day to get my lunch and I average the same speed as you (vmax 28mph on those trips). I have zero issues with the wheel, but I don't really feel an advantage of having a 4.1 wide tyre, compared to a 3" wide one. I like the look though.

33 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

MCM5 is perfect for Seattle’s hills - it makes the city feel flat. Downside: you can’t really do under construction roads. Bike lanes are fine.

Ever since picking up the KS16X, I’ve been taking empty roads. I say empty because cars get road rage, and unless you can go 15 above speed limit comfortably, you’re going to be the target of a lot of rage. In other words, I’m effective still constrained to bike lanes for commuting.

In that regards, MCM5 has the edge due to no effort hill climbing. I do a lot of night riding on empty roads, so the 16X makes sense.

IMHO, the only wheel decent at true road commuting, would be a next gen monster with 50mph cruising speed. Current 100V monster cruises at 40mph, so that would constrain you to 25mph streets (to use my 15mph road rage escape rule).

tl;dr besides road conditions, factor in angry drivers. I get honked at and aggressively passed a lot on the road. 2 wtf incidents last night at midnight, like seriously?

wow. Never encountered that kind of behaviour where I live. That sucks.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, hsiang@tw said:

I don't know the shipping cost yet and I don't even have paypal account, but I will figure them out.

We can now send money through FaceBook Messenger!  Before I even got to the part of your generous offer I was already thinking we should all pool together and have you send a bulk shipment!

1 minute ago, Mike Sacristan said:

as a MSX rider I tend to grab the pads and crank the wheel back to slow it down. Big wheel, small guy. So I am pretty sure I squeezed the pads while breaking without thinking about it

Something I should try too. What I did was brake first and then start pushing with my legs, but you don't have much contact surface at that point as you are already hanging behind the wheel. 

1 minute ago, ir_fuel said:

Something I should try too. What I did was brake first and then start pushing with my legs, but you don't have much contact surface at that point as you are already hanging behind the wheel. 

I tend to ride with bent legs. So since I am riding a bit low then I just go a bit lower, sit my ass back onto an invisible chair and keep my upper body straight. I had zero problem doing it on the 16X and it felt very natural. The rest did not though. I am in for a battle when it arrives.

I sometimes do it the other way where I let the wheel pass in front of me and do a leg extension to almost straight legs. But that is the slower and wobblier version for me still.

3:43 into the clip on my MSX the invisible chair way.

45 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I sometimes do it the other way where I let the wheel pass in front of me and do a leg extension to almost straight legs. But that is the slower and wobblier version for me still

That only works on "wobble wheels" :lol: if you lock your knees. 

@mrelwood  Thoughtful replies, certainly moves us closer to agreement, but not all the way there.  :-)   For example

16 hours ago, mrelwood said:

obody but us end users have been thoroughly testing tires on an EUC, which is a very unique environment for any tire. I believe one crucial part being that in addition to the tire itself, an EUC has no suspension other than the rider’s knees.

I don't think of EUC's  as a unique environment for the tire.  The tire is still doing what it is designed to do, mounted properly on a rim, rotating on an axis, supporting (hopefully) the correct amount of weight, on the correct road surfaces at the correct temperatures, at the correct (hopefully) tire pressure, while rotating in the correct direction.     From a design point of view, there is practically no difference between being mounted on an EUC and mounted on a Moped to the tire itself.  The moped would lean just the same as an EUC in the turns and so on.  Just saying.

Never the less, very thoughtful and respectful replies - many of which are on point, and some of which like the above I feel not so much. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

That only works on "wobble wheels" :lol: if you lock your knees. 

I just thought of another thing. Where do you have your feet?
I have a bit of my heel hanging over the back. The rest hanging over the front. And I ride a bit duck footed so my feet point maybe 10 degrees outward.
I do the same on my MSX but I find that my default stance when mounting the 16X is with my feet a bit further out to the sides of the pedals.

Anyway the reason I no longer have my heels lined up with the rear of the pedal os because of the acceleration vs braking bias which caused me to wobble on the MSX.
Although it did make accelerating and high speed cruising more effortless it was not worth the trade off.

1 hour ago, RoadRunner said:

Just seen this

Someone just sent me that too, great video. 

Very interesting what he says about the original tire after having changed to the CST haha. If I end up getting the 16X I will keep the stock tire and just get used to it... 

Edited by Jean Dublin
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Jean Dublin said:

Someone just them me that too, great video. 

Very interesting what he says about the original tire after having changed to the CST haha. If I end up getting the 16X I will keep the stock tire and just get used to it... 

I had indeed zero issues adapting to this wheel, coming from a Z10.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

I have a bit of my heel hanging over the back. The rest hanging over the front. And I ride a bit duck footed so my feet point maybe 10 degrees outward.

I played around with different positions and putting them duck stance too. Nothing really improved it for hard braking.

2 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

The Nikola 100V was great but it's too similar to my MSX. I want something that is the opposite of it.

Opposite of great :confused1:

Just kidding.

Welcome to the KS16X club. Where the hot kids hang out right @Marty Backe. Nikola was for the cool kids if I don't recall it wrong. 

(I didn't bother to search for it, but Marty knows)...

I wish I could have been there to play and discuss ride feel from your video. Unfortunately I am stuck in an office slaving of my debts while I wait for the KS16X to arrive, then I take a week of holiday to spend time with the new bodypart. 

3 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Opposite of great :confused1:

Just kidding.

Welcome to the KS16X club. Where the hot kids hang out right @Marty Backe. Nikola was for the cool kids if I don't recall it wrong. 

(I didn't bother to search for it, but Marty knows)...

I wish I could have been there to play and discuss ride feel from your video. Unfortunately I am stuck in an office slaving of my debts while I wait for the KS16X to arrive, then I take a week of holiday to spend time with the new bodypart. 

Haha always a funny guy.
MSX locked in. Nikola locked in.
I want a wheel where I am not locked in. Whether it is great or not remains to be seen. They will have to iron out the issues first.
I will ride the stock tire to death and I will definitely not change it. That would be like ordering the best meal at a restaurant and putting ketchup on it.
Maybe I will eat those words in a few days though. Lucky I have ketchup in the fridge.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Patton250 said:

What? Are you saying the new firmware is out?

I'm not sure.  I got an update on Satuday.  It lasted more than 20 minutes and I didn't get any confirmation.

Does your firmware version shows that information?

Edited by Gustesta