KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

KS16X FIRMWARE UPDATE

I got a message this morning on the KS app (Android, downloaded from their site) that an update was available.  I started the update and it showed "updating" for 20 minutes.  Never ended...  So I restarted the wheel.

Now my firmware version shows K16x test test.

Please, when you set the speed limits on your app, is it limited to 50kmh?  It's showing 60kmh on mine.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Gustesta said:

KS16X FIRMWARE UPDATE

I got a message this morning on the KS app (Android, downloaded from their site) that an update was available.  I started the update and it showed "updating" for 20 minutes.  Never ended...  So I restarted the wheel.

Please, when you set the speed limits on your app, is it limited to 50kmh?  It's showing 60kmh on mine.

No new firmware showing as available for me (iOS app).

Sad to hear about the tiltback issues still existing.  I never experienced them before or after the bluetooth update.  For me, the bluetooth update mainly fixed the annoying Kingsong speaker click upon powering off.  I listen to streaming music all the time when I ride.  I've never been able to hit beyond 28mph GPS speed.  PSI 25, rider weight 145.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:
Just finished 10 mile ride today myself (man this wheel is fun when - problems and all.  I feel like I need to keep saying that, cause the problems over shadow otherwise).

Sad to say it, but I just got the 15 degree tilt back issue while riding again.  Post Bluetooth fix.   It occurred for only about 4-5 seconds this time, righting itself prior to me grabbing a picture.

Music was playing streaming to the speakers, and it was the same spot in the road where it had occurred before (making me think maybe the house nearby has a lot of wifi or is in the path of communications or such.

So it's much improved, but not fixed.

Didn't get the wobbles today over 10 mile ride (but I also didn't go looking for them),, so that was a nice change.

PSI 35, rider weight 220.

@Mike Paolini Thanks for your excellent reporting on this wheel! I'm curious about the severity of the lingering 15 degree tilt-back issue. Is it extremely violent and disruptive, or is it something you can learn to ride out until it rights itself?  I'm familiar with the typical over speed tilt-back on the Inmotion wheels, and although it can sometimes catch you off guard, I've never felt that it introduces a stability issue for me. Do you think the KS16X RTP (random tilt phenomenon) similar, or more pronounced? 

2 hours ago, Gustesta said:

KS16X FIRMWARE UPDATE

I didn't see new firmware for mine yet.

You know King Song was really aiming hard at catching and passing the Gotway Rider Experience with the new KSX.  I'm going to say they caught and passed for both silent motor and for quality control and roll-out of both the wheel and the App..  :-P

I'll wait for their "final" firmware before calling it on ride.   ;-)  (Though I do think I might be ready to sell my mTen3, because the KS16x certainly feels better to ride - and y'all *know* I love me some mTen3).

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

I didn't see new firmware for mine yet.

You know King Song was really aiming hard at catching and passing the Gotway Rider Experience with the new KSX.  I'm going to say they caught and passed for both silent motor and for quality control and roll-out of both the wheel and the App..  :-P

I'll wait for their "final" firmware before calling it on ride.   ;-)  (Though I do think I might be ready to sell my mTen3, because the KS16x certainly feels better to ride - and y'all *know* I love me some mTen3).

I was thinking of selling off my V8 and picking up either an MCM5 or MTEN3.  Always need a backup wheel and after owning the KS16X for a little bit, hopping on the V8 feels a little toyish.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HarpMudd said:

I was thinking of selling off my V8 and picking up either an MCM5 or MTEN3.  Always need a backup wheel and after owning the KS16X for a little bit, hopping on the V8 feels a little toyish.

@HarpMudd

Well I have owned both the MCM5 and the mTen3.  I've ridden and taught on the V8 - it's a nice entry level / mid level machine.  Very polished, but lacking excitement. 

Bang for the buck, both are about $1k new and incredible value.  They do different things though.    

The MCM5 is a great commuter and hill climber, you'll have no trouble keeping up and passing most EUC's out there.  It's 2.125 inch tire does feel like a tightrope though.  Acceleration is nuts on it.

The mTen3 - is purely for playtime.  That fat 3" tire powered by an 800W motor tied to a 10" diameter tire yields crazy torque that makes things possible that otherwise aren't - like balancing zero mph.  It's also so some, that the slightest shift in weight, like say thinking about going right, cause it to appear to read your mind and react before you put your whole body into it.   It's also a very non-threatening wheel.  I use it mostly for chasing the kids around the neighborhood, going to the pool, and grabbing the mail.   Also for playing in the parking lot while waiting on the group rides.  

Of the two, I sold the MCM5 to make room for the KS16x  - and that was the correct decision for myself.  I'm only partly kidding about selling the mTen3, because it is getting a lot less riding now that I have a 3" tire on a 2200W motor.  :)

Edited by Mike Paolini
  • Like 1

So new firmware is out. Any clue how long it takes? Upgrade isn't making any progress after 20 minutes.

Edit: I think I know what's going on. The usb bluetooth fix is probably interfering with the bluetooth OTA firmware update 🤦.

Edited by chrisjunlee
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

So new firmware is out. Any clue how long it takes? Upgrade isn't making any progress after 20 minutes.

Edit: I think I know what's going on. The usb bluetooth fix is probably interfering with the bluetooth OTA firmware update 🤦.

You would hope they would have tested the installation of the firmware too. 

3 hours ago, Mike Paolini said:

I sold the MCM5 to make room for the KS16x  

I may be in the same boat, I dont think I can keep both my wheels and get a new one without having to sleep with the dog (baby on the way "no toys" for me is nicely paraphrasing my boss's orders 😁)

If ya dont mind me asking,  how long did it take to sell, how many miles and what did you end up getting out of it?  

If keep it and the 16s but my dad loves that one and hes retired on a fixed income so he cant get a wheel of his own. He doesnt like the knife edge riding behavior on the mcm5. 

Thank you for posting the videos on you tube as well. They've been a big help!

1 hour ago, Flying W said:

I may be in the same boat, I dont think I can keep both my wheels and get a new one without having to sleep with the dog (baby on the way "no toys" for me is nicely paraphrasing my boss's orders 😁)

If ya dont mind me asking,  how long did it take to sell, how many miles and what did you end up getting out of it?  

If keep it and the 16s but my dad loves that one and hes retired on a fixed income so he cant get a wheel of his own. He doesnt like the knife edge riding behavior on the mcm5. 

Thank you for posting the videos on you tube as well. They've been a big help!

@Flying W 

It was a few months back so I don't quite remember.  I think I asked $850 which was apparently too low because it sold in about 24 hours.

And you are welcome - I just try to tell it like it is and hope some people find it kind of useful sometimes.

Edited by Mike Paolini
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

@Flying W 

It was a few months back so I don't quite remember.  I think I asked $850 which was apparently too low because it sold in about 24 hours.

And you are welcome - I just try to tell it like it is and hope some people find it kind of useful sometimes.

I'm selling mine with less miles for $800 - no biters yet 🐟

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mike Paolini said:

@Azze80  This is condescending and assumptive on your part, and it is also not surprisingly wrong.

I really don't think so. So many posting opinions and asking questions to get the slightest reason to bail their preorder or why not to buy this wheel. 

Now the mantra is to change tyre, and people don't even get the chance to familiarizing with their new wheel. 

To me it looks more and more look like people expected something and not geting it because they didn't think/research what this could become. So we now have a baby Z10 that causes this polarized love vs hate opinions for whatever the reason. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ir_fuel said:

That explains everything wrt stability. Try riding it at 30psi and braking hard from 40km/h.

That's the thing I've noticed here. Everyone who claims they don't have braking wobbles rides with pressures around 20psi.

But then again both of you are fairly light riders. The higher you pump the tyres pressure the more difficult you will have controlling the wheel. (like standing on a wide fat robe or a thin wire for a line dancer at the circus).

We saw the same thing  with the Z10 as it didn't have a car tyre profile but a mc race profile tyre. And I think this is what is going on too with the KS16X. it is just not so perfound as the Z10. So what people are used to ride on other wheels pressure wise might not translate straight off to the KS16X.

btw @ir_fuel what pressure do you use in the Z10? and what is the tyre rated at?

Edited by Unventor

5 hours ago, Mike Paolini said:

Many of the riders are coming from 18x3" (MSX) and 18x4.1" (Z10) tires and we know what the ride is on these larger tires just as we know how to ride on the smaller ones...  

I agree with a lot of what you say but for

example.

I have some experience of the MSX, I believe that one of the reasons (main reason) that it does not vobble as much as the 16x(cause it does vobble), is that you have more control over it due to the locked position with the side pads hitting your legs. Put thicker side pads on the 16x and see what happens :)

Don’t hate me now, lol. I won’t take away you guys superior experience here. Just thoughts.

anyways, thanks @Mike Sacristan for a great time and testing your wheel!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Unventor said:

btw @ir_fuel what pressure do you use in the Z10? and what is the tyre rated at?

1.7 bar. No idea what the rating is but you can't compare because the Z10 is tubeless so it has a much stiffer tyre. My KS16X I can really bounce when standing on it, with that pressure. The Z10 is still pretty hard.