KingSong 16X 1554Wh 2200W 16*3in (Released July 2019)

Jean eRide.ie Community

24 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

However the 20-25% discrepancy on the Kingsongs can probably be calculated if they are a fixed number.

On my KS18L is isn't that high. Maybe 10-15% (more towards 10) the problem is it isn't constant. What is constant is what the wheel report. Using different GPS solutions report different. Both phone apps and Sony fdr-x3000r camera. 

So in the end I started just to go by what the wheel reports. It is similar to my car. It report like 5% too high a speed compared to GPS... Most cars are set up that way to ensure you don't get cought speeding. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2019 at 6:42 PM, chrisjunlee said:

To unlock the full potential of this wheel, you need to ride in soft mode. Hence why I'm putting up with it.

No, no, maybe I was unclear.

For Gotway, yes soft (or softer) mode is the key to unlocking the potential of the wheel: this is like set in stone in my mind as I have experienced it first hand.

But this only for Gotway.

I've ridden in soft modes for other manufacturers, and the pedal response curves just don't have enough difference from their hard modes to really be useful. 

In the case of KS & IM (whose modes are very similar feeling in my experience), they just soften across the board as the modes move to medium and soft; the actual signature of the response curve has not changed.

Hence, for non-Gotway, I just ride Hard mode, as there's no point (plus, unless this was fixed by a recent firmware, KS was telling us during the preproduction run that the firmware bobble issue was only being fixed for the 16X Hard mode)

On 8/9/2019 at 1:50 AM, chrisjunlee said:

@houseofjobcan you explain why soft mode gets you the maximum potential of a wheel?

I think I need to make a separate, more definitive post at least on this, as I feel like I repeat myself all over different threads (and this has been good for me to refine my views on the why?, but again, requires me to keep re-drafting the same explanation)

On 8/8/2019 at 6:46 PM, ir_fuel said:

You need room to carve, I guess? I ride a lot on bike paths and I don't have much space to go left right. It's getting better now I must say, by locking the euc with my heels/ankles. Just need more road miles to adapt my riding.

Keep at it I think.

Bike paths are enough space IMHO to s-carve brake, you just need to be adept at hip movement, using alternating heels, wide stance, etc.

If you're feet are not mobile, yes it will be hard to do this

If you also carve where your torso moves with the carve, yes, it will also be harder to do this (on forward or braking carves, your torso should face straight, while the legs will pivot and turn with the carves, as this is basically ski technique: torso up is calm and moves down the mountain, never changing directions, while the lower half does all the work and movement).

On 8/8/2019 at 6:58 PM, Gustesta said:

Does it carve better than the Z10?

On 8/8/2019 at 6:56 PM, Gustesta said:

I really prefer wheels that are easy carving.

Do you think the 16x is better at carving than the Z10?  I didn't like the Z10 and I sold it.  

My V10F is so easy to carve etc.

The main factor in ease of carving is predominantly wheel width IMHO.

So, if you like the 2.5" V10F, you're not gonna get better by going up .5" width in the 3" wide 16X or up 1.6" in the 4.1" wide Z10.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Unventor said:

On my KS18L is isn't that high. Maybe 10-15% (more towards 10) the problem is it isn't constant. What is constant is what the wheel report. Using different GPS solutions report different. Both phone apps and Sony fdr-x3000r camera. 

So in the end I started just to go by what the wheel reports. It is similar to my car. It report like 5% too high a speed compared to GPS... Most cars are set up that way to ensure you don't get cought speeding. 

And the speeds?
And for the 16X?
Why don't we know these numbers??? How hard can it be?

Aaaaargh!!!

1 hour ago, Patton250 said:

After this post I have come to the conclusion that,  A.  You are most definitely a multimillionaire, B.  You have an incredibly smoking hot wife that is an 11 out of 1-10.  C.   You could kick Chuck Norris’s ass. :-)

Thank you <3

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mike Sacristan said:

And the speeds?
And for the 16X?
Why don't we know these numbers??? How hard can it be?

Aaaaargh!!!

I have not yet worked out an algorithm for the KS18L yet even after a year and 2700+ km (KS 😉 km). 

As you know I am still waiting for my KS16X to arrive, so how this turns out I can't even guess. 

I can add that my Inmotion V8 also was off between wheel reported and GPS logged distance. I only did like 400 km on it but my estimate is something like 5% too high on the wheel compared to GPS. 

We live in a colourful world, no black and whites only.... Many this are not as simple as one might would hope for. 🙄

• Like 1

Pretty impressed by those calling it a stable wheel. I still have to concentrate not to have left/right wobbles at 35+km/h, and have to concentrate A LOT not to have huge wobbles when braking from those speeds. What works for now is pushing my heels towards the body of the wheel when riding, and combining this with locked knees when braking. But having to do this I can hardly call the wheel "stable" since I have to put this effort in. My Z10, that's a stable wheel. I can just ride it 40+km/h without doing any effort or concentrating on foot placement etc, and when I brake it's rock solid straight line braking.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Pretty impressed by those calling it a stable wheel. I still have to concentrate not to have left/right wobbles at 35+km/h, and have to concentrate A LOT not to have huge wobbles when braking from those speeds. What works for now is pushing my heels towards the body of the wheel when riding, and combining this with locked knees when braking. But having to do this I can hardly call the wheel "stable" since I have to put this effort in. My Z10, that's a stable wheel. I can just ride it 40+km/h without doing any effort or concentrating on foot placement etc, and when I brake it's rock solid straight line braking.

Same for me. I'm riding at 20psi (I weigh 128 lbs without gear). I might try dropping the pressure a few psi.

I think part reason for people having wobbles is the increased pedal hight. This should mean distance from pedels to wheel/motor axel is shorter, so you need to "work more" to move wheel or catch balance. Or this is what I am expecting at least. Still 2+ weeks before I can test out my theory 😕

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jon Stern said:

Same for me. I'm riding at 20psi (I weigh 128 lbs without gear). I might try dropping the pressure a few psi.

Clamping the euc with my lower legs on braking seems to work. I m riding at 2 bar.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, ir_fuel said:

Of all the wheels I had so far (Inmotion V8, Rockwheel GT16, Ninebot Z10, Gotway Mten3, Gotway MCM5) this is the first wheel on which I experience this.

I get it a little on my V8. I think it might be me.

4 hours ago, ir_fuel said:

4 hours ago, Jon Stern said:

Dropping the pressure significantly reduced the wobbles for me.

BW: 137 lbs, ungeared.

At 30psi, I get wobbles past 15mph.

At 18psi, it feels planted, no wobbles until 25+mph? And this is with an asymmetrical stance.

As @ir_fuel said, it might be placebo nonsense, but 20 PSI vs 18 PSI made a difference for me. I can’t find anything to support the notion of an inflection point for pneumatic tires, so it probably is placebo :)

Also, my stand pump gauge was waaaay off, and it wasn’t a linear systematic offset.

Edited by chrisjunlee

As for braking wobbles, I can’t figure out how to aggressively straight line brake on this wheel without wobbles. Have tried both symmetrical and asymmetrical stances.

If I slowly decelerate at, let’s say 50% effort, it doesn’t wobble. But as soon as I try to brake it hard, it wobbles.

But it doesn’t bother me too much, since I’ve learned how to heel pump brake.

Edited by chrisjunlee

19 minutes ago, chrisjunlee said:

As for braking wobbles, I can’t figure out how to aggressively straight line brake on this wheel without wobbles. Have tried both symmetrical and asymmetrical stances.

If I slowly decelerate at, let’s say 50% effort, it doesn’t wobble. But as soon as I try to brake it hard, it wobbles.

I get stability when clamping the wheels with my legs under braking.

10 minutes ago, Ben Kim said:

Not being trollish at all, it just seems like everyone here is trying very hard to like this wheel, but it’s not what they expected. Is this a fair assessment?

I see what you are pointing at, and in a sense you are right. At this point in time (I have 160km on my wheel, most of them off road), if I had to get rid of all my wheels and keep only one to do it all, I'm not sure this one would be it. Compared to all other wheels I had it seriously lacks straight line stability at higher speeds. I don't know where it comes from and I find it strange that all of the sudden I have to adapt to something I never needed adapting to before. This is my 3rd 16" wheel so it's not as if my experience is limited to the Z10 and dunno, a Gotway Monster or whatnot.

This is not the wheel for me to do normal road riding. The lack of stability under braking limits my enjoyment as I will always need to be on the lookout and super defensive, because I know I can't stop it as hard as I can stop any other wheel I had ridden until now. Off road there are zero issues as I don't hit such speeds (25mph). If you are not confident under braking you should not be going fast. This is why I am impressed by people here going 30mph with this thing. I honestly don't understand how they do it.

Right now the Z10 still has a very important place in my wheel collection. The only thing the KS16X has going for it, compared to the Z10, is that it is A LOT more comfortable over bumps and cracks. I wish I could combine all the features of the KS16X with the stability of the Z10. That would for me be the perfect wheel on the road.

Will this improve? Time will tell.

I would love to see some videos of current owners here going 25mph and doing hard braking.

Edited by ir_fuel
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1