Whats best MSX tyre upgrade for Trail riding

Hi All 

Currently looking to change the tyre on my MSX to be better suited for off road -Trail riding 

Its the Wet season in Darwin and the current tyre is slipping and sliding like no ones business 

All experiences and input appreciated

Cheers Gaz

Edited by Gaz Bon

A knobby tire like this worked pretty well for me in wet grass, mud, snow slush, etc. There was definitely an improvement compared to the stock tire on my ACM (which has a similar profile to the MSX standard tire). You'd have to find one in MSX size.

The bigger the knobs, the better. It's quite loud, bunch of angry hornets style, on pavement. Also, mine died after a season (rubber is thin aside from the knobs), so it might not hold too long. Make sure you have an extra tube, I suspect my tire killed my tube, something that never happened before or after but with this tire. But it certainly offers grip when those knobs can dig into whatever soft ground you have. Definitely better than a thick rubber tire with some kind of profile.

001jpg

Edited by meepmeepmayer
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

A knobby tire like this worked pretty well for me in wet grass, mud, snow slush, etc. There was definitely an improvement compared to the stock tire on my ACM (which has a similar profile to the MSX standard tire). You'd have to find one in MSX size.

The bigger the knobs, the better. It's quite loud, bunch of angry hornets style, on pavement. Also, mine died after a season (rubber is thin aside from the knobs), so it might not hold too long. Make sure you have an extra tube, I suspect my tire killed my tube, something that never happened before or after but with this tire. But it certainly offers grip when those knobs can dig into whatever soft ground you have. Definitely better than a thick rubber tire with some kind of profile.

001jpg

:wub: the sound of my ACM with this tire. Your hornets description is perfect.

Thx for the feedback

I was thinking this would have been a tried and tested topic 

So the knobbly tyre is the way to for sure but tyre in pic looks like a BMX tyre and would not be suited for purpose with the specs of MSX and failure would ensue and bodily harm soon after  

Im looking at or for motorcycle tyre but proving hard to find with the clearance issues 

Will update when found and fitted

Gaz

• 3 weeks later...

So I found a 60/60 14" dirt bike tire to fit the MSX. I was looking for something more dual-sport but I settled on this one made by CST (easy to find, available from multiple sellers). I have seen on this forum and on the facebook group that someone had fitted a 2.75" tire but had to trim it. I was reluctant to do this since I was not sure if I could do this evenly enough to not effect handling.

When fitted with this tire, the MSX is a true 18" wheel since the sidewalls are shorter. The tire is a bit narrower, of course, but is well accommodated in the shell. The tire is very stiff.

I've had it on for a few, limited sessions. With the tire pumped to its max 30 PSI it felt way too squirrelly. I lowered it to 20 PSI and it felt much better, though still very different. Part of this can be attributed to the narrower width but most is probably due to the tire geometry. The tread wraps more aggressively and remains deep as it rounds to the sidewall. Theoretically this should provide superior cornering grip. Riding it some very muddy grass it proved to be vastly more sure-footed than the stock tire.

On pavement, though, it has been an adjustment as the feel is totally different. Low-speed turning is almost no existent at this point and turning generally is difficult. With more time I found that turning was easier when under acceleration. More broadly it makes the MSX more active and, in a way, more nimble. Shock - absorption is great. Definitely a drag on speed. Certainly brings back early learning days...

Going to give it some time before I make a decision. Only have one wheel so this tire has to serve on and off-road. Going to take it out on the MTB trails after it rains...

IMG_6768.HEIC

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hermes said:

So I found a 60/60 14" dirt bike tire to fit the MSX. I was looking for something more dual-sport but I settled on this one made by CST (easy to find, available from multiple sellers). I have seen on this forum and on the facebook group that someone had fitted a 2.75" tire but had to trim it. I was reluctant to do this since I was not sure if I could do this evenly enough to not effect handling.

When fitted with this tire, the MSX is a true 18" wheel since the sidewalls are shorter. The tire is a bit narrower, of course, but is well accommodated in the shell. The tire is very stiff.

I've had it on for a few, limited sessions. With the tire pumped to its max 30 PSI it felt way too squirrelly. I lowered it to 20 PSI and it felt much better, though still very different. Part of this can be attributed to the narrower width but most is probably due to the tire geometry. The tread wraps more aggressively and remains deep as it rounds to the sidewall. Theoretically this should provide superior cornering grip. Riding it some very muddy grass it proved to be vastly more sure-footed than the stock tire.

On pavement, though, it has been an adjustment as the feel is totally different. Low-speed turning is almost no existent at this point and turning generally is difficult. With more time I found that turning was easier when under acceleration. More broadly it makes the MSX more active and, in a way, more nimble. Shock - absorption is great. Definitely a drag on speed. Certainly brings back early learning days...

Going to give it some time before I make a decision. Only have one wheel so this tire has to serve on and off-road. Going to take it out on the MTB trails after it rains...

IMG_6768.HEIC

Someone posted this tyre on the forum i don't know if it's the same as yours though . Here's the pic and tyre info , let us know thx 

IMG-20190118-WA0012.thumb.jpg.dbdd1a4820f5070e5e4a3575ad5711c9.jpg

Screenshot_20190118_223427_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Hermes said:

IMG_6768.HEIC

Would love to see some pics can't open the image you have attached 

Off 2 x over the weekend due to loss of traction in the mud

28 minutes ago, Gaz Bon said:

Would love to see some pics can't open the image you have attached

Just change the file name and put .jpeg on the end😊 here I've done it for you

@Hermes picture of his msx

Screenshot_20190121_071335_com.android.gallery3d.png

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

No, this tire is a bit more aggressive than above. It is the CST "Surge", available from many places.

Went up to the snow with the kids, today. Tire was great in powder, still treacherous in the slush. I rode some gravel roads that had a lot of wash-out and slippery spots and the tire did well. Really surprised how well it subdues wet/muddy grass. 

Handling is getting better for me: the key is being aggressive in the turns. Definitely makes the MSX feel more agile.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Hermes said:

No, this tire is a bit more aggressive than above. It is the CST "Surge", available from many places.

Went up to the snow with the kids, today. Tire was great in powder, still treacherous in the slush. I rode some gravel roads that had a lot of wash-out and slippery spots and the tire did well. Really surprised how well it subdues wet/muddy grass. 

Handling is getting better for me: the key is being aggressive in the turns. Definitely makes the MSX feel more agile.

Do you happen to have a link. Sometimes it's difficult to get the exact tire based on a description. A link leaves no ambiguity.

Thanks/

23 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Do you happen to have a link. Sometimes it's difficult to get the exact tire based on a description. A link leaves no ambiguity.

@Hermes If you have a nice link for this tire, please post the tire in the tire thread. We're trying to get a compendium of available tires and info on them (picture, description, etc), including links where to buy (as Marty says, those are always hard to get).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@Hermes If you have a nice link for this tire, please post the tire in the tire thread. We're trying to get a compendium of available tires and info on them (picture, description, etc), including links where to buy (as Marty says, those are always hard to get).

@Hermes also a few more pics of side profile and front/back pictures would be nice ,Ooooh maybe a little snippet of a video as well :popcorn:

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Gaz Bon said:

Still a little miffed at the 2.5-14 being the 14 

Still cant get my head around 14 will fit 

Bicycle measurement standards vs motorcycle. Like inches vs cm. 😃

Edit: I think all tires you just mentioned are motorcycle tires. It means they go on a 18” rim. EUC inch sizes are for the nominal outer diameter of the tire, not the rim. 18” EUCs have a 14” rim, 16” EUCs a 12” rim.

Bicycle tire sizes are usually written a bit differently: 18x3.00 (bicycle) vs 2.50-14 (motorcycle).

And to make it really complicated, the 3.00” bicycle tire on the MSX actually measures 2.75”. On motorcycle tires the width is without the tread or knobs, so a 2.50” should be around the same. The wheel well on the MSX is just past 3”, so even an actual 3” tire wouldn’t fit.

And yes, it did require quite a bit of detective work to find out about all this.

Edited by mrelwood
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, mrelwood said:

Bicycle measurement standards vs motorcycle. Like inches vs cm. 😃

Edit: I think all tires you just mentioned are motorcycle tires. It means they go on a 18” rim. EUC inch sizes are for the nominal outer diameter of the tire, not the rim. 18” EUCs have a 14” rim, 16” EUCs a 12” rim.

Bicycle tire sizes are usually written a bit differently: 18x3.00 (bicycle) vs 2.50-14 (motorcycle).

And to make it really complicated, the 3.00” bicycle tire on the MSX actually measures 2.75”. On motorcycle tires the width is without the tread or knobs, so a 2.50” should be around the same. The wheel well on the MSX is just past 3”, so even an actual 3” tire wouldn’t fit.

And yes, it did require quite a bit of detective work to find out about all this.

Thanking you for saving me many questions :)

On 1/20/2019 at 11:40 PM, stephen said:

IMG-20190118-WA0012.thumb.jpg.dbdd1a4820f5070e5e4a3575ad5711c9.jpg

I had a chance to ride this exact wheel a few weeks ago during our Escape From New York ride. I believe he got the tire directly from gotway! 

Little strange at first. You can feel the knobs flexing on pavement during low speed turns. No clue how it does off-road

• 2 years later...