Its that time of the year! Wheel prediction for 2019??

Hsiang

54 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Better get those hips limber for those squated seated rides! (BTW, @dieterGRAMS was on the same OG MSuperV3 seat hunt you are currently on, apparently some E. Europe country only has them left as new(?))

ebc58153cf89c3ecb49f8b28b91d7796.jpg

LOL. I gave up on the MSX seat. It felt so dangerous compared to my KS18s seated riding. Very uncomfortable. The seat is somewhere in a closet collecting dust. 

4 hours ago, houseofjob said:

Thankfully no Gotway e-scooter yet, so they can still keep lighting a fire, forcing the competitions' hands.

Calling it now, in 2019 we’ll see the Gotway Mach 1 E-Scooter. 76mph top speed with a 0-60 time rivaling supercars 

:w00t2:  I remember @Linnea Lin Gotway saying that speeds somewhere over 60 kph were way to dangerous in their minds to even consider, but we do see some people hitting over 70 kph on their 100V Monsters... A few years ago I don't think anyone would have even dreamed it would be possible to go that fast on one wheel.  ONE WHEEL!  Now we take it for granted almost.  It's mind boggling when you consider it.  I think as the speeds go up, there are dangers that these will be seen as vehicles that require licensing, registration and insurance which could be good or bad.  For something that fast, it would likely be only allowed on roadways, but then it wouldn't meet road safety standards.  Sure they could slap on marker and signal lights, but I'm not sure I would want to share the road in my car with an EUC going at 80-100 kph... :blink:   Reaching moped/motorcycle/car speeds brings things into a whole new ballpark...

5 hours ago, Hunka Hunka Burning Love said:

:w00t2:  I remember @Linnea Lin Gotway saying that speeds somewhere over 60 kph were way to dangerous in their minds to even consider, but we do see some people hitting over 70 kph on their 100V Monsters... A few years ago I don't think anyone would have even dreamed it would be possible to go that fast on one wheel.  ONE WHEEL!  Now we take it for granted almost.  It's mind boggling when you consider it.  I think as the speeds go up, there are dangers that these will be seen as vehicles that require licensing, registration and insurance which could be good or bad.  For something that fast, it would likely be only allowed on roadways, but then it wouldn't meet road safety standards.  Sure they could slap on marker and signal lights, but I'm not sure I would want to share the road in my car with an EUC going at 80-100 kph... :blink:   Reaching moped/motorcycle/car speeds brings things into a whole new ballpark...

There is really a speed limit on these due to aerodynamics.  When I started learning to ride my motorcycle, I felt huge resistance at about 45-50mph.  It took me a couple of weeks to get beyond that resistance and at that point I felt that it was hugely unsafe to go that speed on a EUC.  It took me a while to work up to and above 80mph, but this is hanging on for dear life and a cross wind felt like it was going to knock me off.  I feel that because of this brick wall of air, might not be able to go beyond that point.  We only have a small 10" contact patch.  Could be wrong, maybe some will be stupid enough to go faster with motorcycle gear on.  Without it would be certain death.

Plus at those speeds, you can't hear squat except the wind.  If you don't have some other way of warning you on the GW's then you are going down due to cut out. 

39 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Plus at those speeds, you can't hear squat except the wind.  If you don't have some other way of warning you on the GW's then you are going down due to cut out. 

Gotways have the same warnings like every other wheel. Beeps, and tiltback. Are you shitting on GW again, or is it just that they're the only wheels that can go that fast?:efee8319ab:

2 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Gotways have the same warnings like every other wheel. Beeps, and tiltback. Are you shitting on GW again, or is it just that they're the only wheels that can go that fast?:efee8319ab:

GW tiltback max is at 48kmph.  Can't set it any faster.  So with tiltback on, it is slower than KS. Historically tiltback was unreliable, so instead of making tiltback reliable, they decided to allow the user to turn it off so they can blame the user for the cut out instead of themselves.  Tiltback is a safety feature unless it is on GW, then it is a dangerous feature.  

@eddiemoy My bad, you're right. They really need to update their app. No tiltback if you want it higher than 48kph. So no tiltback at higher speed limits.

Not sure what you mean by unreliable, though. Tiltback was sudden and scary and might have thrown one off before they made it more mellow, but was it ever unreliable? You mean because you could switch it off, and so it wasn't immediately clear for a rider if it was on or off?

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

@eddiemoy My bad, you're right. They really need to update their app. No tiltback if you want it higher than 48kph. So no tiltback at higher speed limits.

Not sure what you mean by unreliable, though. Tiltback was sudden and scary and might have thrown one off before they made it more mellow, but was it ever unreliable? You mean because you could switch it off, and so it wasn't immediately clear for a rider if it was on or off?

Back when they had worst wheels, their tiltback would cause cutouts.  That is what I meant by unreliable.  That is why they chose not to pursue fixing it and instead chose to let the user disable a feature that was causing cutouts to shift the blame from them to the user.  If you disable tiltback and had cut out it is on you.  If you kept the tiltback, then it is on them.  great strategy as most users just disabled tiltback because they wanted more speed.  Notice no one blaming GW for their cutouts after that?

8 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

There is really a speed limit on these due to aerodynamics.  When I started learning to ride my motorcycle, I felt huge resistance at about 45-50mph.  It took me a couple of weeks to get beyond that resistance and at that point I felt that it was hugely unsafe to go that speed on a EUC.  It took me a while to work up to and above 80mph, but this is hanging on for dear life and a cross wind felt like it was going to knock me off.  I feel that because of this brick wall of air, might not be able to go beyond that point.  We only have a small 10" contact patch.  Could be wrong, maybe some will be stupid enough to go faster with motorcycle gear on.  Without it would be certain death.

There’s quite a difference between being on an EUC wind resistance vs being on a motorcycle/scooter wind resistance. I was just on my MSX going 35mph (without a helmet *but motorcycle jacket and pants/gloves* and could hear the beeps quite clearly through my windstopper beanie which does quiet down sounds too) and then switched to my dualtron Thunder. The difference being that on the EUC you’re always leaning into the wind to generate that speed while on the scooter you’re just a passenger standing up on a vehicle moving rapidly beneath you holding onto handlebars for dear life.

If I didn’t hold onto the handlebars of the scooter I would get blown off even if the scooter had perfect alignment and tracked straight. On an EUC it’s different... obviously it’s hands free, but I can stand straight up and the wind resistance will slow me AND the EUC. AND the EUC. That’s the important part. So no getting blown off on an EUC from wind resistance.

EDIT: Because you’re so connected to the EUC, it actually feels a lot slower going 35 on one then on a scooter. I feel like I could go 45mph and it wouldn’t feel half as fast as on a moped or kick scooter. 

2 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

There’s quite a difference between being on an EUC wind resistance vs being on a motorcycle/scooter wind resistance. I was just on my MSX going 35mph (without a helmet *but motorcycle jacket and pants/gloves* and could hear the beeps quite clearly through my windstopper beanie which does quiet down sounds too) and then switched to my dualtron Thunder. The difference being that on the EUC you’re always leaning into the wind to generate that speed while on the scooter you’re just a passenger standing up on a vehicle moving rapidly beneath you holding onto handlebars for dear life.

If I didn’t hold onto the handlebars of the scooter I would get blown off even if the scooter had perfect alignment and tracked straight. On an EUC... obviously it’s hands free and I can stand straight up and the wind resistance will slow me AND the EUC. 

Try going 45mph and let me know if you can hear the beeps.  Will you not wear a helmet when going 45mph?  Leaning at 35mph is different than leaning at 45mph.  I lean into the wind when going on my motorcycle, it was still difficult.  You do get used to it though.  I think we both agree that the wind affects our riding a lot.  When it is windy out and you get gust from the side, I get blown off my intended direction.  It is extremely dangerous to ride when it is windy and the wind changes direction on you.  I'm sure you've experienced this before.  Even riding with a grocery bag in one hand makes it difficult to ride at 30mph if you hold it slightly to the side.  

Imagine you leaning into the wind at 35mph, then the wind changes direction and pushes you from the back instead of going against you.  What would happen?  a 10mph gust or a 20mph gust?  Some in our group have been pushed into cars while riding in windy conditions.  It is dangerous. It is a totally different feeling when you hit wind at 35mph vs 45mph.  Doesn't matter if you are leaning into it or not.  Aerodynamic resistance is equal to the speed squared.  This means the force you experience is 4x when the speed doubles.  There is a limit and it is in my opinion difficult to over come when standing on an EUC.  Easier when you are sitting, but still hard.  

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

Try going 45mph and let me know if you can hear the beeps.  Will you not wear a helmet when going 45mph?  Leaning at 35mph is different than leaning at 45mph.  I lean into the wind when going on my motorcycle, it was still difficult.  You do get used to it though.  I think we both agree that the wind affects our riding a lot.  When it is windy out and you get gust from the side, I get blown off my intended direction.  It is extremely dangerous to ride when it is windy and the wind changes direction on you.  I'm sure you've experienced this before.  Even riding with a grocery bag in one hand makes it difficult to ride at 30mph if you hold it slightly to the side.  

Imagine you leaning into the wind at 35mph, then the wind changes direction and pushes you from the back instead of going against you.  What would happen?  a 10mph gust or a 20mph gust?  Some in our group have been pushed into cars while riding in windy conditions.  It is dangerous. It is a totally different feeling when you hit wind at 35mph vs 45mph.  Doesn't matter if you are leaning into it or not.  Aerodynamic resistance is equal to the speed squared.  This means the force you experience is 4x when the speed doubles.  There is a limit and it is in my opinion difficult to over come when standing on an EUC.  Easier when you are sitting, but still hard.  

You’re talking about two different things man. Wind is not wind resistance. Wind blowing you from the sides is entirely different than natural wind resistance you encounter from speed. 

There is zero chance you’ll get “blown off” an EUC from your own wind resistance. 

12 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

You’re talking about two different things man. Wind is not wind resistance. Wind blowing you from the sides is entirely different than natural wind resistance you encounter from speed. 

There is zero chance you’ll get “blown off” an EUC from your own wind resistance. 

Yes, they are different things but they are dynamic and interact and affect your riding.  Are you saying that we can the air we are pushing against cannot change?  There are head, tail, and cross winds.  Can't predict where and when these are coming and at 45mph, a cross wind will be deadly.  

35 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

Yes, they are different things but they are dynamic and interact and affect your riding.  Are you saying that we can the air we are pushing against cannot change?  There are head, tail, and cross winds.  Can't predict where and when these are coming and at 45mph, a cross wind will be deadly.  

My experience is that EUCs are frighteningly susceptible to cross winds in the first year of ownership, especially if you try to ride with an umbrella, but then even very strong crosswinds can be enjoyed by veteran EUC riders (not with an umbrella).

Don't you have an 18XL AND a 1000cc bike? I would think 30 mph on the xl is about comparable to going 120 leaned in a turn on a bumpy road; I find EUCs terrifying above 26 mph in a way motorcycles can't approach. 

14 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

My experience is that EUCs are frighteningly susceptible to cross winds in the first year of ownership, especially if you try to ride with an umbrella, but then even very strong crosswinds can be enjoyed by veteran EUC riders (not with an umbrella).

Don't you have an 18XL AND a 1000cc bike? I would think 30 mph on the xl is about comparable to going 120 leaned in a turn on a bumpy road; I find EUCs terrifying above 26 mph in a way motorcycles can't approach. 

I don't ride my EUC when there is strong winds.  I've learned from others experience and my own.  Sometimes in the northeast we get some really strong winds.  It's too dangerous.  

On a bike it is definitely not as scary or susceptible to winds because the bike has two wheels and weighs 10x more than the EUC.

2 hours ago, eddiemoy said:

I don't ride my EUC when there is strong winds.  I've learned from others experience and my own.  Sometimes in the northeast we get some really strong winds.  It's too dangerous.  

On a bike it is definitely not as scary or susceptible to winds because the bike has two wheels and weighs 10x more than the EUC.

I agree, when I see the trees swaying and hear the wind moving I avoid riding my EUC. Just no fun on windy days. Rainy days suck too, I’m afraid of loss of traction with such a thin wheel. 

2 hours ago, LanghamP said:

lol come on who rides an EUC with an umbrella??!! 

What EUC is terrifying above 25+mph ? There’s no way you’d be scared to go 30mph on a 22” Monster 😂

7 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

What EUC is terrifying above 25+mph ? There’s no way you’d be scared to go 30mph on a 22” Monster 😂

I ride with a red umbrella.  When it is raining and I have to do a bubble tea run.  LOL

29 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

I'm scared of a crash at 30 mph because I have crashed several times between 12-18 mph, and the energy I had to get rid of was unexpectedly enormous.

That's just me. You're likely to be perfectly safe at 30 mph crashes due to your superb physical conditioning.

19 minutes ago, LanghamP said:

I thought you guys might enjoy crosswind landings.

Remind me never to fly in or out of Birmingham :cry2:

4 hours ago, LanghamP said:

I'm scared of a crash at 30 mph because I have crashed several times between 12-18 mph, and the energy I had to get rid of was unexpectedly enormous.

That's just me. You're likely to be perfectly safe at 30 mph crashes due to your superb physical conditioning.

Ah, of a crash. I do believe that the more dense your body is(muscle is more dense than fat) the easier you can absorb the punishment of hitting the ground. 

Archived