Its that time of the year! Wheel prediction for 2019??

Hsiang

So what do we think? what's the predcition for 2019? Given the huge amount of interests I get for my wheel I am sure the sport will grow.

So far We have the Gotway Nikola with its polarizing design, and I also heard predication that a new monster will show up, what about the other manufacturer? A 22" wheel from KingSong? Now I am just spreading rumors.. =)

I'm not aware of any reliably upcoming wheels other than the Nikola. So I can come up with little here.

Pure speculation:

• Gotway: other than the rumored Monster2 (but maybe that is only the usual Monster with the new TO-247 board as it apparently exists already), the MCM5 is new, the Nikola will be new, the MSX isn't old and a redesign would mean GW has another motor generation after their current 2000W motor, a motor that is quite new. So it might take a while before we see another Gotway.
    History says they will have more wheels out in 2019, but I have no idea what that would be. mten4 with 1500W motor would be rad!
    Maybe they'll experiment with new form factors like with the Nikola.
  • KingSong: nothing announced, and until now their wheels were always announced long in advance. Maybe they'll update the 14S and 16S with a stronger motor and 84V... KS14E, KS16E? If the 16E gets a 1600Wh option...:efefd0f676: I'm hoping the 18XL 1600Wh lit a fire both under their asses in understanding that many people want bigger batteries, and under Gotway's who now have big battery competition.
    18S update with 18L electronics would be nice, but I'm not seeing it.
  • Inmotion: I see nothing. They seem content to milk their older wheels at lower prices, and they have the V10(F). A new wheel? End of 2019 at earliest, I'd say. Maybe an 18 incher - but that would have to be a new design, vs. the V10 which is very V8-derivative. An 18 incher with their usual battery pack only on top might or might not work.
    An update to the V10 would be cool: better electronics (no more overheating), 50kph, some other small improvements. They have the right tire and could make it more of a performance wheel. But no idea if they even entertain this idea.
  • IPS: seems to be dead now, much much more dead than usual.
  • Rockwheel: they won't release their 18 incher in 2019 just like they didn't this year:efee8c29ce:
  • Ninebot: I would be very surprised to see another wheel by them in 2019. They seemed surprised by the Z's success, so if they started another project, it'll take time.

I think another manufacturer coming in would be good for the industry. Either broader competition, or expanding the market with specialty models (like an offroad-focused wheel or whatnot).

Also I'm surprised no manufacturer has released a Onewheel clone already. The market seems to be huge and high-priced, underserved (Onewheel acting like Solowheel back in the day, keeping technological progress back - they don't even have speed warning beeps, battery is tiny, electronics sketchy, etc; with no real alternative to buy), and the EUC manufacturers are far ahead tech-wise to any other possible electric ridable producer. Seems like an easy money maker.

Maybe that's what the video of Gotway's EUC that looked like a Onewheel is about.

1 minute ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Also I'm surprised no manufacturer has released a Onewheel clone already. The market seems to be huge and high-priced, underserved (Onewheel acting like Solowheel back in the day, keeping technological progress back - they don't even have speed warning beeps, battery is tiny, electronics sketchy, etc; with no real alternative to buy), and the EUC manufacturers are far ahead tech-wise to any other possible electric ridable producer. Seems like an easy money maker.

Maybe that's what the video of Gotways EUC that looked like a Onewheel is about.

AliExpress seems saturated with 300-600 dollar OneWheel clones.

The specs of the latest OneWheel are so low that I feel all the clones improve upon it.

However, the Ninebot Z10 is sorta a OneWheel done right, notwithstanding the Z10's wretched reliability and terrible design of the rear that makes braking on it awful (not that I've ever ridden one).

17 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

(Onewheel acting like Solowheel back in the day, keeping technological progress back - they don't even have speed warning beeps, battery is tiny, electronics sketchy, etc; with no real alternative to buy),

Exactly! my viewpoint, too! When you see what GW can achieve with their smallest wheel, the Mten3...Speed and powerwise, then the abilities of the Onewheel are just ….sad! It is a nice Vehicle and fun to ride, but when Gotway would produce such a design with their current motors, Onewheel would have a really hard time.

38 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

18S update with 18L electronics would be nice, but I'm not seeing it.

The Shellsides of the 18S are not real capable of 20S battery Systems.

The 18S will stay in the market, and as i have/had them both i can assure there is not much difference power and torquewise to the 18l/XL. Yes, because of the formfactor it is a Total different ride Feeling and Needs more Adjustment before Feeling comfy, but therefore it is the best Wheel for riding seated.

There is no definitive announcement of any new Wheel...but lets say it like this:

Since i know KS, they  bring out a new Wheel every year, and there have been rumours that now the 16inch is in the row :rolleyes:

This is not an exciting improvement but given that many people are using wheels for commuting, an optional street legal light and reflector scheme would be nice. You could change your settings in the app so that you have proper tail and side lights. Then change back to the fun patterns when not on the road. Maybe people would take us more seriously.

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

This is not an exciting improvement but given that many people are using wheels for commuting, an optional street legal light and reflector scheme would be nice. You could change your settings in the app so that you have proper tail and side lights. Then change back to the fun patterns when not on the road. Maybe people would take us more seriously.

Changing your rotating lights to mirror red and blue cop lights has resulted in a dramatic reduction of drivers illegally running into or near me especially on crosswalks. It is one of the biggest things you can do to improve your safety.

Guarantee of 2019: every new wheel / wheel design will get 💩'd on by one or more forum members!!:lol:   ....especially since, for the most part, all new wheels now sport spinning LEDs for broader, new buyer commercial appeal... damn those EUC co's for wanting to make more money / maximize sales!!

Unless it drops near Q4/EOY 2019, we're pretty much guaranteed no ground-up, truly new wheel models from non-Gotway, as they tend to announce ~6 months in advance. So at the most, minor spec bumps, ala 16B > 16S, etc.

And FWIW, except for Ninebot, it's been years since non-Gotway EUC co's have launched a real ground-up new model design:

• King Song is going on ~3 years now re-sizing up and down their same Ninebot One copy shell design (KS-14D/S; KS-16B/S; KS-18L/XL)
  • InMotion has never really departed / improved upon fundamentally their original 2015 V5 EUC design yet, just increasing sizes and adding sidelights for the V8 & V10
  • Ninebot is the only exception: their Z is a dramatic departure obviously from their 14"/16" One lines, and even the 14" One had a more complex inner shell structure when compared to their very simplistic 16" One OG flagship design.

Given the history of each company's upgrade cycles and random murmurings, I'd say for 2019:

• Gotway: the Monster is next in line for an upgrade (*fingers crossed*), and obviously the 16 x 3 Nikola ....
    • also something totally left field that no one is expecting, since they've done this every year I think: (2018) MTen3, back from the dead; (2017) 22" Monster when we were only expecting the 18" MSuperV3 at the time.
  • King Song: definitely the 16S seems due for an upgrade, considering all the new and multiple 16's available in the market (Gotway ACM/Tesla/Nikola; InMotion V8/V10), and riders' perception that sweet 16 is some kind of golden rule
    • *please Monster-sized KS model... but I know this is very unlikely *smh
  • InMotion: they were on FB and here, leaning towards a V8 upgrade (based on its popularity), which still doesn't make sense to me, considering the V10 is the same diameter.
    • I will lobby to the death for a 14 x 3, 25mph V5!!! :ph34r:
  • Ninebot: Europe still has no official Z distribution, and given their poor upgrade track record, highly doubt we'll see any new EUC Ninebot development for 2019, but who knows...

What throws a monkey wrench into all this is that 2018 was the year of the e-scooter / e-scooter share, ie. free money for crap e-scooter mass manufacture, so I think many of our favorite EUC co's will attempt to chase that rainbow, at the slight detriment of new EUC innovation, unfortunately.

Thankfully no Gotway e-scooter yet, so they can still keep lighting a fire, forcing the competitions' hands.

15 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Guarantee of 2019: every new wheel / wheel design will get 💩'd on by one or more forum members!!:lol:   ....especially since, for the most part, all new wheels now sport spinning LEDs for broader, new buyer commercial appeal... damn those EUC co's for wanting to make more money / maximize sales!!

Unless it drops near Q4/EOY 2019, we're pretty much guaranteed no ground-up, truly new wheel models from non-Gotway, as they tend to announce ~6 months in advance. So at the most, minor spec bumps, ala 16B > 16S, etc.

And FWIW, except for Ninebot, it's been years since non-Gotway EUC co's have launched a real ground-up new model design:

• King Song is going on ~3 years now re-sizing up and down their same Ninebot One copy shell design (KS-14D/S; KS-16B/S; KS-18L/XL)
  • InMotion has never really departed / improved upon fundamentally their original 2015 V5 EUC design yet, just increasing sizes and adding sidelights for the V8 & V10
  • Ninebot is the only exception: their Z is a dramatic departure obviously from their 14"/16" One lines, and even the 14" One had a more complex inner shell structure when compared to their very simplistic 16" One OG flagship design.

Given the history of each company's upgrade cycles and random murmurings, I'd say for 2019:

• Gotway: the Monster is next in line for an upgrade (*fingers crossed*), and obviously the 16 x 3 Nikola ....
    • also something totally left field that no one is expecting, since they've done this every year I think: (2018) MTen3, back from the dead; (2017) 22" Monster when we were only expecting the 18" MSuperV3 at the time.
  • King Song: definitely the 16S seems due for an upgrade, considering all the new and multiple 16's available in the market (Gotway ACM/Tesla/Nikola; InMotion V8/V10), and riders' perception that sweet 16 is some kind of golden rule
  • InMotion: they were on FB and here, leaning towards a V8 upgrade (based on its popularity), which still doesn't make sense to me, considering the V10 is the same diameter.
    • I will lobby to the death for a 14 x 3, 25mph V5!!! :ph34r:
  • Ninebot: Europe still has no official Z distribution, and given their poor upgrade track record, highly doubt we'll see any new EUC Ninebot development for 2019, but who knows...

What throws a monkey wrench into all this is that 2018 was the year of the e-scooter, ie. free money for crap e-scooter mass manufacture, so I think many of our favorite EUC co's will attempt to chase that rainbow, at the slight detriment of new EUC innovation, unfortunately.

Thankfully no Gotway e-scooter yet, so they can still keep lighting a fire, forcing the competitions' hands.

Since KingSong appears to be a firm believer in the enclosed wheel shell design, can you image how big their 22-inch version of an EUC would be. Truly a Monster :laughbounce2:

I like your overview. I do hope Gotway releases a new Monster. Maybe an Mten4 too? And assuming that Gotway isn't blind to the competition, they may try something along the lines of a Z10 (4-inch tire).

All we know for sure is that Gotway will be the only company pushing the boundaries in 2019.

A member of our NYC riding group is looking to make a new wheel.  I'll be the first in line to buy it if it comes to fruition.  

If any of the wheel manufacturers are listening, they really need to make a 18" wheel with a properly sized motor, not some 16" motor slapped onto a 18" wheel.  Maybe the new wheel will be 18" and made of some special material other than steel to reduce the weight to a 16" wheel while having a 18" form factor with telescoping seat.  Some steel need to be used due to the requirement of steel to allow the magnetic field to travel.  But the rest of the motor can be some lighter stronger composite.

King Song should be coming out with a new 16" wheel, but if they keep it at 35-40kmph limit it will be a failure.  I disagree that a bigger batter is needed for these smaller wheels.  IMO, the 840wh is more than enough for a smaller wheel.  Leave it to the 18" for the longer range.  If you are traveling that many miles, you would want a bigger wheel as it cruises at higher speed better.

I have no idea what Gotway is coming out with, but what ever it is you can count on it being ugly as hell.  Design is not in their vocabulary. 

Inmotion is dead.  They had an early lead in releasing a wheel in 2018 that is the only reason their V10's sold at all.  It is a wheel stuck in the middle and doesn't do anything well.  With all the new better wheels out, they shouldn't be selling at all.  People still buying the V8 as a training wheel.

We have to wait another 5 years for Ninebot to release another wheel.  Don't count on them releasing another EUC until 2023.

5 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

A member of our NYC riding group is looking to make a new wheel.  I'll be the first in line to buy it if it comes to fruition.  

If any of the wheel manufacturers are listening, they really need to make a 18" wheel with a properly sized motor, not some 16" motor slapped onto a 18" wheel.  Maybe the new wheel will be 18" and made of some special material other than steel to reduce the weight to a 16" wheel while having a 18" form factor with telescoping seat.  Some steel need to be used due to the requirement of steel to allow the magnetic field to travel.  But the rest of the motor can be some lighter stronger composite.

King Song should be coming out with a new 16" wheel, but if they keep it at 35-40kmph limit it will be a failure.  I disagree that a bigger batter is needed for these smaller wheels.  IMO, the 840wh is more than enough for a smaller wheel.  Leave it to the 18" for the longer range.  If you are traveling that many miles, you would want a bigger wheel as it cruises at higher speed better.

I have no idea what Gotway is coming out with, but what ever it is you can count on it being ugly as hell.  Design is not in their vocabulary. 

Inmotion is dead.  They had an early lead in releasing a wheel in 2018 that is the only reason their V10's sold at all.  It is a wheel stuck in the middle and doesn't do anything well.  With all the new better wheels out, they shouldn't be selling at all.  People still buying the V8 as a training wheel.

We have to wait another 5 years for Ninebot to release another wheel.  Don't count on them releasing another EUC until 2023.

Of course this is all your opinion, but it always strikes me as funny that you say such things with utter confidence that they are the truth.  840wh is not more than enough for a smaller wheel. You're not a distance rider so that's your perspective, but you surely know that there are a lot of people that do ride far distances. I love to be able to cruise 45-miles on my ACM. Hell, I've ridden 40-miles on my KS14S (which is impressive - the 14S is a very efficient wheel). I know other local riders who ride far and wide on their 1600wh ACMs. Maybe it's a California thing?

I see zero correlation between wheel size and distance traveled. If a wheel is fun to ride for 10-miles it can be fun to ride for 50-miles.

And regarding Gotway and design, I disagree. I'll leave it at that.

Otherwise I agree with your other commentary.

1 hour ago, eddiemoy said:

I am curious about this one; why is it that no american company design or make an electric unicycle? There are certainly lots of electric skateboard maker, and I can't imagine the market here being that much smaller then that of China? 

8 minutes ago, Hsiang said:

I am curious about this one; why is it that no american company design or make an electric unicycle? There are certainly lots of electric skateboard maker, and I can't imagine the market here being that much smaller then that of China? 

This has been well-covered on the forum, google Inventist + Segway + lawsuit.

There is a reason why InMotion paid Inventist money to enter the US market this past year, as a patent-troll shield.

Several countries will be looking to update legislation in 2019, so if all goes well, EUC riding will be legal in more places around the world and that should result in more people getting involved and more innovation from manufacturers.

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

FWIW, except for Ninebot, it's been years since non-Gotway EUC co's have launched a real ground-up new model design:

•  King Song is going on ~3 years now re-sizing up and down their same Ninebot One copy shell design (KS-14D/S; KS-16B/S; KS-18L/XL)

To break it a bit more down..

KS started only with the -rectangular- 14c..

Then developed the 16b as first 16inch wheel and their KS18A. (btw the FIRST 1600wh plus wheel)

Then they brought over the -very well receiced- 16inch design to the 14d/s...

For about 2 years then there where complains that they finally should update their „ugly 18inch“ wheel and take over the 16inch design also.

Now they have done that....so i would call their 14 and 18inch wheel new-  funny is now people complain about that for example you cant seat anymore on the 18L/XL...

Calling that „resizing up and down“ is one opinion....i would call that strategy brand building...integrated trolley which is at the same time the carrying handle is their outstanding design, which no other brand has and -in my opinion- makes the KS wheels the best commuter wheels available :-) 

3 hours ago, houseofjob said:

and riders' perception that sweet 16 is some kind of golden rule

what is a „Monster“ sized 16inch? :) means that the battery?

Unfortunately in the moment i can only say....we will see.....

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Since KingSong appears to be a firm believer in the enclosed wheel shell design, can you image how big their 22-inch version of an EUC would be. Truly a Monste:laughbounce2:

I can promise we wont see a 22inch KingSong.....to much of a niche wheel! And yeah, would probably have the size of a truck wheel :-)

But what comes to my mind when making that fun of the KS wheel design is the new GW „Ricola“...

Good one, Marty, when a 16/17inch wheel is nearly as big as 22inch one .... and has that nice carrying handle,which is only suitable for „Yeti“ size hands...haha...Truly a Inmotion and KS copy, with having the worst of both pressed in one wheel :laughbounce2:

(Hope you can take a joke ;-) )

20 minutes ago, US69 said:

To break it a bit more down..

KS started only with the -rectangular- 14c..

Then developed the 16b as first 16inch wheel and their KS18A. (btw the FIRST 1600wh plus wheel)

Then they brought over the -very well receiced- 16inch design to the 14d/s...

For about 2 years then there where complains that they finally should update their „ugly 18inch“ wheel and take over the 16inch design also.

Now they have done that....so i would call their 14 and 18inch wheel new-  funny is now people complain about that for example you cant seat anymore on the 18L/XL...

Calling that „resizing up and down“ is one opinion....i would call that strategy brand building...integrated trolley which is at the same time the carrying handle is their outstanding design, which no other brand has and -in my opinion- makes the KS wheels the best commuter wheels available :-) 

Unfortunately in the moment i can only say....we will see.....

I can promise we wont see a 22inch KingSong.....to much of a niche wheel! And yeah, would probably have the size of a truck wheel :-)

But what comes to my mind when making that fun of the KS wheel design is the new GW „Ricola“...

Good one, Marty, when a 16/17inch wheel is nearly as big as 22inch one .... and has that nice carrying handle,which is only suitable for „Yeti“ size hands...haha...Truly a Inmotion and KS copy, with having the worst of both pressed in one wheel :laughbounce2:

(Hope you can take a joke ;-) )

I enjoyed your jokes :D

BTW, never say never when it comes to a 22-inch wheel from KingSong. I heard people (I think you were one of them) that said KingSong would never release a 84-volt wheel. And what do we have? The KS18(X)L :thumbup:

4 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

KingSong would never release a 84-volt wheel. And what do we have? The KS18(X)L 

?????

really? Did i say that? What was my argument?

Cant remember that, beside saying that serializing more and more cells certainly has its limits.

But ok...take that with the 22inch KS wheel, that i just know, that there are no plans at all.

7 minutes ago, US69 said:

?????

really? Did i say that? What was my argument?

Cant remember that, beside saying that serializing more and more cells certainly has its limits.

But ok...take that with the 22inch KS wheel, that i just know, that there are no plans at all.

I'm almost positive that you said the owner of KingSong had no intention of "chasing" the higher voltages. This was probably sometime in 2017.

I forgive you :P

51 minutes ago, US69 said:

funny is now people complain about that for example you cant seat anymore on the 18L/XL...

Yup, exactly.

Apparently people want to squat straight down, OG bathroom-style, as an afterthought feature, instead of having the proper height for seated riding BTW, why did you sell your KS-18S again?

Call me vain, I get bored with the same-looking wheels year after year :D

Bullet point makes it a little confusing: I meant a 22" or larger competitor.

I know it won't happen.... but who knows(?). 18" was once relegated to "niche" size I believe, when the (over-priced) OG 18's (SBUv3, SoloWheel Xtreme) were being passed over, as companies like AirWheel, Gotway, and Ninebot were popularizing the more compact 14" & 16" formats.... only to come back around this year, back to 18's, all thanks to the legacy of the MSuper.

Awesome, if I get this spinning ball, I refuse to call it the Nikola, and will call mine the 'Ricola' :D

hqdefault.jpg

@Marty Backe let's bookmark this quote when we see how KS responds with their new KS16, and where/how they'll fit the inevitable moar battery :D

1308168106001.jpg

6 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

I'm almost positive that you said the owner of KingSong had no intention of "chasing" the higher voltages. This was probably sometime in 2017.

I forgive you :P

Naah, that was chasing the “high speeds”.....the KS owner isnt into the speed game.

2 minutes ago, US69 said:

Naah, that was chasing the “high speeds”.....the KS owner isnt into the speed game.

Yet he released the high-speed L-series.

At some point a business has to respond to the competition or you go the way of the Solowheel :)

@houseofjob

Yeah..i sold my 18S in a psychic and financial weakness, i really dont know what has ridden me and i regret that like no other EUC sell :-(

Already thought of buying a 18S again....

So i now have to get somewhat of a wheel, which enables seated riding......and ordered a MSX :-) 

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Yet he released the high-speed L-series.

At some point a business has to respond to the competition or you go the way of the Solowheel :)

The same speed was available already for the 18S....and even now with the 18L/XL -that both are capable of a higher speed - it did not happen. And i really hope that stays that way...(my honest - and i know lonesome - opinion)...30mph/50kmh is more than i ever have needed.

Beside that i like the power reserves :-) 

1 minute ago, US69 said:

@houseofjob

Yeah..i sold my 18S in a psychic and financial weakness, i really dont know what has ridden me and i regret that like no other EUC sell :-(

Already thought of buying a 18S again....

Ah, I see, thanks!

Totally understand, this was my case for my premptive 84V 2400Wh Monster sale, which I think I sold too early... missing that wheel ever since :crying:, and still navigate to the 100V Monster page every so often 

1 minute ago, US69 said:

So i now have to get somewhat of a wheel, which enables seated riding......and ordered a MSX :-) 

Better get those hips limber for those squated seated rides! (BTW, @dieterGRAMS was on the same OG MSuperV3 seat hunt you are currently on, apparently some E. Europe country only has them left as new(?))

ebc58153cf89c3ecb49f8b28b91d7796.jpg

Just now, houseofjob said:

Ah, I see, thanks!

Totally understand, this was my case for my premptive 84V 2400Wh Monster sale, which I think I sold too early... missing that wheel ever since :crying:, and still navigate to the 100V Monster page every so often 

Better get those hips limber for those squated seated rides! (BTW, @dieterGRAMS was on the same OG MSuperV3 seat hunt you are currently on, apparently some E. Europe country only has them left as new(?))

ebc58153cf89c3ecb49f8b28b91d7796.jpg

Haha...yeah, hard job to get a older type seat!

Have 2 sources now, hopefully one will make it happen, the actual seat is just nothing for a old guy like me :-) 

Archived