What are some good body armor shirts and pants?

8 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Don't think that I would trust the hoodie. An armored base layer with a regular hoodie of your choosing would be more reliable. I usually wear my hoodies loose-fitting because they are more comfortable that way for me. No way hoodie pads would provide me any protection unless I wore a tight-fitting hoodie. :efef19744a:

Do you have experience wearing motorcycle jackets with the integrated elbow/shoulder pads? In your opinion are those pads secured well enough against the body to be effective? I'm under the impression that there are straps along the waist and arms which are used to secure everything.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Do you have experience wearing motorcycle jackets with the integrated elbow/shoulder pads? In your opinion are those pads secured well enough against the body to be effective? I'm under the impression that there are straps along the waist and arms which are used to secure everything.

Motorcycle jackets are made with abrasion resistant Cordura material (or leather) to protect against road rash and the pads protect against impact. Coming off at speed will wear through normal clothes pretty fast.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

I bought a pull over MC trousers that came with D3O hip and knee pads. It does take much to be effective at EUC speeds.20181004_174708.thumb.jpg.daf7ae8eb016613158b8cafd703423ca.jpg

Btw @stephen did that "house" your in the video, come with one or two butlers?

Do you think you will be able to wear those MC trousers in Summer? I bought myself an MC textile summer jacket, but I had to send trousers back as they were too heavy and hot even without a liner. I managed to find Cordura MTB trousers (Endura Singletrack) instead and they are suitable for all seasons as they have zip vents and seem pretty tough, but they don't have pads.

Edited by Nic
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Nic said:

Motorcycle jackets are made with abrasion resistant Cordura material (or leather) to protect against road rash and the pads protect against impact. Coming off at speed will wear through normal clothes pretty fast.

Yes, I know all that. I was just asking @Lutalo his personal experience wearing these items and their effectiveness at keeping the pads properly positioned.

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I typically ride with sportbike/race jackets. They have a slimmer fit, but feel great when well-fitted; lots of movement, good ventilation. 

I have never had any issues with the impact protection moving. Most jackets nowadays are made well enough to prevent this anyway as long as they fit. 

Even during my low side accident when I slid across the pavement for a couple of feet everything stayed in place, and all the damage I sustained was below the leather jacket/waist. In fact, I still use that very jacket for EUC riding. 😉👍

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Lutalo said:

I typically ride with sportbike/race jackets. They have a slimmer fit, but feel great when well-fitted; lots of movement, good ventilation. 

I have never had any issues with the impact protection moving. Most jackets nowadays are made well enough to prevent this anyway as long as they fit. 

Even during my low side accident when I slid across the pavement for a couple of feet everything stayed in place, and all the damage I sustained was below the leather jacket/waist. In fact, I still use that very jacket for EUC riding. 😉👍

Thanks for that  :cheers:

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Nic said:

Do you think you will be able to wear those MC trousers in Summer? I bought myself an MC textile summer jacket, but I had to send trousers back as they were too heavy and hot even without a liner. I managed to find Cordura MTB trousers (Endura Singletrack) instead and they are suitable for all seasons as they have zip vents and seem pretty tough, but they don't have pads.

Aye I do. As we dont's have @Marty Backe overheat summers here, normaly. :PShorts with the MC trousers should work. I only paid 50 € including the D3O padding. 

Edited by Unventor

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes, I know all that. I was just asking @Lutalo his personal experience wearing these items and their effectiveness at keeping the pads properly positioned.

In the incident where a Volvo V90 forced my Inmotion V8 into a deep water filled pot hole, the trouser worked perfectly. I partly tumbled partly slid on the tarmac. I didn't feel a thing on my knees or hip. Only a temp pain as I landef on a index finger. Similar as it got squeezed in a door frame. 30 min after the finger was fine. The clothing didn't show any wear or tate either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nic said:

These look excellent ... gloves with built-in wrist guards and sliders...

https://flatland3d.com/shop/all-products/all-e-skate-accessories/pro-e-skate-glove/

Too bad it’s winter most everywhere and those are purely warm weather gloves.

Edited by Darrell Wesh

Recently purchased the Demon Flex Force Pro and, to be honest, I’ve not exactly been blown away with what I received. The quality doesn’t seem to even nearly match the price.  Adjustability is minimal, and protection seems negligible.  It’ll be going on eBay. In the meantime, I’ve ordered, and received, this:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M5B2G38?ref_=pe_3187911_248764861_302_E_DDE_dt_1

A third of the price, bags more protection, seemingly nicer quality, and extremely adjustable.  There are straps everywhere, and you really can get the armour to sit exactly where you want.  The back protector seems very substantial, there are thumb-holes to keep the jacket from riding up. Very well thought out.  A snip at £35.99 delivered. Just wish I’d seen it before the Demon FFP :blink:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Ande said:

Recently purchased the Demon Flex Force Pro and, to be honest, I’ve not exactly been blown away with what I received. The quality doesn’t seem to even nearly match the price.  Adjustability is minimal, and protection seems negligible.  It’ll be going on eBay. In the meantime, I’ve ordered, and received, this:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M5B2G38?ref_=pe_3187911_248764861_302_E_DDE_dt_1

A third of the price, bags more protection, seemingly nicer quality, and extremely adjustable.  There are straps everywhere, and you really can get the armour to sit exactly where you want.  The back protector seems very substantial, there are thumb-holes to keep the jacket from riding up. Very well thought out.  A snip at £35.99 delivered. Just wish I’d seen it before the Demon FFP :blink:

I've looked at that inexpensive Amazon stuff and wrote it off as cheap wannabe stuff from the far east.  But you say you have one in your possession and you like what you see.  Can you go outside and throw yourself off your wheel a few times at high speed please, I must know for sure. :D

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Girth Brooks said:

@Smoother I also have that Fox knock-off armour and I would recommend for sure. Mine has held up well for the price and he's right about fitment/adjustment.

Just hope it actually has the "real" D3O-type padding instead of basic foam. At that price point, I have my doubts.

It's not just about looking like you're well protected. You want to be actually well protected.

\

Just now, Marty Backe said:

Just hope it actually has the "real" D3O-type padding instead of basic foam. At that price point, I have my doubts.

It's not just about looking like you're well protected. You want to be actually well protected.

I have hit the ground with it and would say it worked well for me personally.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Girth Brooks said:

@Marty Backe the skid plating is what made it most effective in my instance.

I really want the skip protection too. But from my recent faceplant experience, there was little skidding and more blunt force impact. For me, if I'm going to sacrifice any level of protection, I'll forego the skid protection.

It's not a perfect science for sure - always compromise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

I've looked at that inexpensive Amazon stuff and wrote it off as cheap wannabe stuff from the far east.  But you say you have one in your possession and you like what you see.  Can you go outside and throw yourself off your wheel a few times at high speed please, I must know for sure. :D

As tempting as that seems, I’m gonna let the gods decide when a tumble is due, thanks ;)

• Like 1