What are some good body armor shirts and pants?

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Now you bring up a good point (maybe you already did and it went over my head). Body armor/full-face helmet, etc., is not conducive to commuting. I'm with you there. I'm a purely recreational rider yet I know there are people who primarily use EUCs for practical purposes.

I will be purchasing (probably soon) commuting type gear. Mainly, a motorcycle type jacket with built-in protection. I want something that I can throw on when I go to the store - all the practical uses.

Maybe when I ride around town I'm creating interest from one type of person and when I'm cruising on the trails I'm attracting interest from a different crowd. See, I'm covering all the bases :)

What! You mean you don’t commute to work on your EUC’s!? 

I’m purely recreational as well. But I find myself commuting to the grocery store or Walmart, or appointments etc on my EUC 99% of the time. I could drive, but that’s no fun! 

They make a lot of stealthy looking motorcycle jackets these days that appear to be regular jackets but have the abrasion resistance and impact protection. Also Kevlar lined normal looking jeans with impact protection at the hips and knees. I do have some of these and it’s nice to look so casual but protected with the ability to throw them on. This “stealth” gear is a definite must have! 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lutalo said:

Last time I checked in on this conversation it was about style choices in wearing gear; concealed beneath clothing (casual style) vs openly displayed on top of clothing (hardcore style). 

I tend toward pretty liberal in my attitudes about how/what protective gear is worn and/or is necessary in a given riding scenario.

Apart from our on-road riding behavior, I have never consciously considered how others might perceive the practice of EUC-riding based on the gear that I wear, or don't wear. For me, to begin thinking of it would be a brand new consideration. 

While rolling around DC no one has ever yelled out to me: "hey dude, your gear looks frightening." they have yelled on many occasions regardless of how I was dressed: "hey dude, that is very cool." I often hear as I pass: "ooh! I need whatever that is."

My personal style preference is to conceal whatever protective gear I can under regular clothes because it looks more natural, and to me more natural looks more better. Maybe it's just me. or maybe it's a east coast thing like my man @houseofjob said; I don't know.

I do know that if there is conflict between personal taste and protection; protection will always win. So, as a result, I often end up wearing gear on the outside of my clothing when it is not practical or comfortable wearing it underneath my outer garments. 

I think the most important thing is our courteous, safe, and law-abiding (whatever this may mean in your state as it applies to EUCs) riding behavior when we are immersed in our daily activities and commuting or riding recreationally. 

Geez! I sound like my grandmother. :huh:

:cheers:

• Like 1

I also like the semi casual look  but still feel well padded underneath .ive had a couple of small falls (when in the woods ) both times i roled on my shoulder and elbow ,the thing is when i got up i thought Mmmm! i thought that would of hurt, it is amazing how much pads cushion you ,ive  upgraded my hoddie to an extra set of pads so i have 2 sets in one jacket😊Screenshot_2018-11-01-23-05-21.thumb.png.91374f92658c0bbd5ca479ff220b67cd.pngScreenshot_2018-11-01-23-07-05.thumb.png.4c731a339a60be66c7af0d4ac8ff55d1.png

Edited by stephen
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, who_the said:

West Coast +1 here. I commute daily via EUC and also ride (daily :)) for pleasure. Definitely a member of the "under-clothes" club for gear. I nearly always ride full KEWGH knee/elbow/wrist/gloves/helmet. Only time I don't wear my Leatt Dual-Axis knee guards is showering, sleeping, and one other thing. I don't ride regularly with full armor and padding, but I do have it and have worn it under clothes for technical or off-road riding.

Other than the modular full-face helmet, I choose to ride with pads discreetly, but I can totally understand and appreciate riders who choose to roll with more visible gear. People might see me and think it's safe to ride, like I do — without visible pads, in traffic, on urban roads, at vehicle speeds — not knowing that I'm fully geared up but they just can't see it. Another obvious advantage of pads over clothes is that you don't ruin your clothes if you fall. 

691854355_0046fd7695b311fa8f146a396792169b681df167-1S_1280(2).jpg.a3b4b37a9e3bfa9941e2cc1a2bd4efa7.jpg

Nice suit :)👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stephen said:

I also like the semi casual look  but still feel well padded underneath .ive had a couple of small falls (when in the woods ) both times i roled on my shoulder and elbow ,the thing is when i got up i thought Mmmm! i thought that would of hurt, it is amazing how much pads cushion you ,ive  upgraded my hoddie to an extra set of pads so i have 2 sets in one jacket😊Screenshot_2018-11-01-23-05-21.thumb.png.91374f92658c0bbd5ca479ff220b67cd.pngScreenshot_2018-11-01-23-07-05.thumb.png.4c731a339a60be66c7af0d4ac8ff55d1.png

Other than the hip protection looking a bit weak, I like the smoother, less intrusive look of those armored bottoms. Is the hip showing a pocket for optional d30, or is there d30 already in place?

2 hours ago, stephen said:

Other than the hip protection looking a bit weak, I like the smoother, less intrusive look of those armored bottoms. Is the hip showing a pocket for optional d30, or is there d30 already in place?

29 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

The hip is a little bit weak but it's better than nothing i really bought them for the built in knee pads shin gaurd but as a bonus got some hip  protection and a bum bone gaurd lol forgot what you call it😀 , take seconds to put on and so comfy you can't tell your wearing them .

Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

They make a lot of stealthy looking motorcycle jackets these days that appear to be regular jackets but have the abrasion resistance and impact protection. Also Kevlar lined normal looking jeans with impact protection at the hips and knees.

Had a motorcycle accident some years back while wearing Kevlar impact protected jeans. At a stoplight. The light went green and I started across the intersection. Driver ran the red light. I low-sided the bike to prevent being broadsided By the car. The Kevlar impact protection worked fairly well except for riding up and leaving my knee and leg pretty scarred. I also broke my ankle. The car kept going. The damage to the bike gave me my reason to install an aftermarket exhaust ;)

Since I dress nothing like @who_the :) when EUC riding, I am attracted to the idea of armored baselayers; like the Demon Flex Force X2 D30 long pants if I am going to insist on tearing my clothes in an accident due to style preference. I haven't bought riding jeans in a bit, but mine were pretty pricey. I still have one pair (though they are pretty old now) and I wear them sometimes when riding EUCs.

Edited by Lutalo

6 minutes ago, stephen said:

The hip is a little bit weak but it's better than nothing i really bought them for the built in knee pads shin gaurd but as a bonus got some hip  protection and a bum bone gaurd lol forgot what you call it😀 , take seconds to put on and so comfy you can't tell your wearing them .

They look comfy, and that's definitely a win for me. 

16 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Nice. They look like they would fit nicely under my 👖 what are these called?

Mcw gear 

I'm from UK but I'm sure if you type this from discription something should show.

• MX Motocross Protection Trousers
  • Highly ergonomic design improves streamlining while providing crucial protection for MX and off-road riding.
  • Ideal for Motorcycle, Mountain Bike, Skiing, and Snowboards the one guards 
  •  
  • fit lovely over knees you can't tell you got them on with your jeans over the top
  •  
Edited by stephen
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, stephen said:

Mcw gear 

I'm from UK but I'm sure if you type this from discription something should show.

• MX Motocross Protection Trousers
  • Highly ergonomic design improves streamlining while providing crucial protection for MX and off-road riding.
  • Ideal for Motorcycle, Mountain Bike, Skiing, and Snowboards the one guards 
  •  
  • fit lovely over knees you can't tell you got them on with your jeans over the top
  •  

Cool. Thanks I'll check them out 

6 hours ago, stephen said:

One downside (for the vain members of this forum) of wearing padding under your clothes is that it makes you look a lot heavier and unfit than you really are.

I Google searched that Hoodie image and found it on Amazon. I may buy this. You can buy extra pads and double them up? They stay in place properly?

With my body armor, it's all secured with tight fitting Lycra which keeps all the pads in their proper place. How does that work in the hoodie - what keeps the pads in place? Thanks.

15 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

But what it really comes down to with me is; I'm not selling EUCs. I don't care about enticing new people into EUCs. If I really thought about this I might conclude that I want to discourage growth because I don't want to see what's happening with e-scooters happen to EUCs. We're pretty much under the radar now and nobody is going to be making laws targeting us.

Now in reality I do like to see new riders joining us. I'm actually encouraged by seeing more new people who appear geared up. Relative to a few years ago, people seem much more aware of the dangers and are dressing accordingly.

This is pretty much my stance on this all as well.  FWIW, I do own and wear concealable safety gear (I love my G-Form Pro pads!) at times. I choose what to wear as it pertains to how I ride. I just mostly want to ride fast more than not. Hahahaha! 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

One downside (for the vain members of this forum) of wearing padding under your clothes is that it makes you look a lot heavier and unfit than you really are.

I Google searched that Hoodie image and found it on Amazon. I may buy this. You can buy extra pads and double them up? They stay in place properly?

With my body armor, it's all secured with tight fitting Lycra which keeps all the pads in their proper place. How does that work in the hoodie - what keeps the pads in place? Thanks.

Don't think that I would trust the hoodie. An armored base layer with a regular hoodie of your choosing would be more reliable. I usually wear my hoodies loose-fitting because they are more comfortable that way for me. No way hoodie pads would provide me any protection unless I wore a tight-fitting hoodie. :efef19744a:

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

what keeps the pads in place? Thanks.

My muscley body😆

nah theres pockets in the shoulders and elbow, two pads fits nice if you get the right size hoodie not to loose so it stays where it should  ,i have had a couple of little falls and it worked well i should of been hurt but i wasnt ,its also got a foam back protector:efee47c9c8:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Don't think that I would trust the hoodie. An armored base layer with a regular hoodie of your choosing would be more reliable. I usually wear my hoodies loose-fitting because they are more comfortable that way for me. No way hoodie pads would provide me any protection unless I wore a tight-fitting hoodie. :efef19744a:

I wear thermals and have the hoodie fitted  ⁿin the summer i have different options but for now that's my cold season gear.i wish i could wear my summer gear all year round but i can't .its protected me so far 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

:laughbounce2:

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, stephen said:

Don't tell me you slipped on the ice your to brave I'd be very scared

:rolleyes:

Yup, that's exactly what happened; got distracted by the incessant beeping while turning a sharp corner, having forgotten to charge the darn thing last night. :angry:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, stephen said:

I bought a pull over MC trousers that came with D3O hip and knee pads. It does take much to be effective at EUC speeds.20181004_174708.thumb.jpg.daf7ae8eb016613158b8cafd703423ca.jpg

Btw @stephen did that "house" your in the video, come with one or two butlers?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Btw @stephen did that "house" your in the video, come with one or two butlers?

Who do you think is doing the filming running behind me with the camera cause there's no selfie stick😂, yes my butler:laughbounce2:

• Like 1