Jump to content

Inmotion V10 Pedal Removal Issue


Julian Alvarez
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

 

So, I went out today and got some mud in my V10 and wanted to disassemble it to clean the mud out. I looked up some video tutorials on disassembling the unit and unfortunately could not get past removing the V10 pedals. As stated in the video, I removed both hex screws on either side of the pedal and the hex screw underneath the pedal.

Then my issue came when the video showed people easily removing the 'axle'. I have tried both sides of both pedals and can not get the axle to come out. I've tried tapping on it with a hammer and flathead and it is not showing any signs of budging. I noticed that there appears to be some kind of white plastic cap or something when I look down the thread of the axle. Both sides look the same to me. The pedals feel very loose and there is some give between the pedal and spacers. It almost seems like the axle is stuck inside the pedal itself, but is loose from the part that's connected to the wheel itself.

Does anyone else encountered this issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 12/25/2018 at 7:19 PM, Julian Alvarez said:

Hi All,

 

So, I went out today and got some mud in my V10 and wanted to disassemble it to clean the mud out. I looked up some video tutorials on disassembling the unit and unfortunately could not get past removing the V10 pedals. As stated in the video, I removed both hex screws on either side of the pedal and the hex screw underneath the pedal.

Then my issue came when the video showed people easily removing the 'axle'. I have tried both sides of both pedals and can not get the axle to come out. I've tried tapping on it with a hammer and flathead and it is not showing any signs of budging. I noticed that there appears to be some kind of white plastic cap or something when I look down the thread of the axle. Both sides look the same to me. The pedals feel very loose and there is some give between the pedal and spacers. It almost seems like the axle is stuck inside the pedal itself, but is loose from the part that's connected to the wheel itself.

Does anyone else encountered this issue? Any help would be appreciated.

How did you get the Axel out the pedal. I cut the Axel on both sides of the pedal brackets to see if that would make it easier to remove the remaining Axel out of the pedal brackets. I still can't get that tiny piece out of either side! (I bought some inmotion honeycomb pedals which I will replace the pedals with)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the same problem and ended up using a small screwdriver and a blowtorch. Heat the tip of the screwdriver until it's glowing red-hot, then jam it in there and let it sit until the plastic cools down and solidifies again. Pull out. Of course, now you need some new plastic bits to replace the ones you just destroyed, but you got four of them with the honeycomb pedals kit.

Are you about to put the pedals on a V10F? They don't officially fit this wheel, but it can be done. Read on:

To fit the new pedals, you'd need to shorten the axles a bit (the ones included with the new pedals won't fit at all on the V10F, put them to the side). If you don't want to destroy the original axles I recommend buying some 8mm hardened steel rod and cut to size. Be careful when cutting so you don't ruin the hardening by heating the steel up too much. When I did this, I only cut a little bit at a time, then ran it under the tap for a few seconds before resuming the cutting.

Finally, you also need to grind away some material on the pedals themselves, otherwise they won't flip down. Mount them on the wheel and you'll see where they catch. Once in a while when grinding, use a sharpie or similar on the newly exposed metal, mount the pedal, and push it down as far as it'll go. This will leave marks in the ink, showing exactly where you need to grind a little more. Keep doing this until you're satisfied. Try to figure out how much of a V angle you'd like before going too far here. This process took me an hour or two per pedal, but slow and steady wins the race.

Good luck, I think you'll love the upgrade! 

Edited by thefork
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ChiWestSider said:

Thanks for the advice.  Looks like I've got a lot of work to get this back functional. 

No problem. If you have access to a rotating multi tool, all you need is a cutting disc (preferably reinforced) and a small helping of patience. And eye protection, don't forget eye protection!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/28/2021 at 7:47 PM, thefork said:

Are you about to put the pedals on a V10F? They don't officially fit this wheel, but it can be done. Read on:

To fit the new pedals, you'd need to shorten the axles a bit (the ones included with the new pedals won't fit at all on the V10F, put them to the side). If you don't want to destroy the original axles I recommend buying some 8mm hardened steel rod and cut to size. Be careful when cutting so you don't ruin the hardening by heating the steel up too much. When I did this, I only cut a little bit at a time, then ran it under the tap for a few seconds before resuming the cutting.

Finally, you also need to grind away some material on the pedals themselves, otherwise they won't flip down. Mount them on the wheel and you'll see where they catch. Once in a while when grinding, use a sharpie or similar on the newly exposed metal, mount the pedal, and push it down as far as it'll go. This will leave marks in the ink, showing exactly where you need to grind a little more. Keep doing this until you're satisfied. Try to figure out how much of a V angle you'd like before going too far here. This process took me an hour or two per pedal, but slow and steady wins the race.

Good luck, I think you'll love the upgrade! 

On 7/27/2021 at 10:31 PM, ChiWestSider said:

How did you get the Axel out the pedal. I cut the Axel on both sides of the pedal brackets to see if that would make it easier to remove the remaining Axel out of the pedal brackets. I still can't get that tiny piece out of either side! (I bought some inmotion honeycomb pedals which I will replace the pedals with)

@thefork Nicely explained! 
I bought the Inmotion Hex Pedals also for my V10F after reaching out to eWheels and they confirmed it will fit.
Guess what, it did fit, but didn't open outwards, lol.
I ended up filing down the edge of the pedal hanger to make way for the hex pedal to come down.

You are right, slow and steady wins the race. It took me a total of 2 hours (from start to finish) of slowly filing them down.

They make the ride feel so much better!

@ChiWestSiderI've posted this experience of mine on Instagram if you'd like to see pics of it: https://www.instagram.com/p/CSFDwJGM1uu/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mo_euc said:

I ended up filing down the edge of the pedal hanger to make way for the hex pedal to come down.

Yeah, that's the other option. No going back though (I guess), if you change your mind, without replacing those hangers.

5 hours ago, mo_euc said:

They make the ride feel so much better!

They sure do! Especially if/when riding in wet conditions.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...