Back Protection?

My new (Christmas present to myself from my wife) Demon United Flex-Force X D30 Top Body Armor V2 comes with a removable D3O back protector pad.

I'm thinking that I'll remove it and ride with a less bulky jacket, but is this a smart move?

Is there any plausible scenario under which back protection is needed on EUC? Has anyone hurt their spine in an accident?

Well, backward riding can induce some bad falls backward. If you are doing any of that stuff, it can be a good idea to protect you coccyx at least in the beginning.

For sure if you are riding stairs backwards like @Sidestreet Reny you need back, neck and coccyx protection...

and disability insurance. ;)

• Like 1

>Is there any plausible scenario under which back protection is needed on EUC? Has anyone hurt their spine in an accident?

We should make a new law for fast EUC riders:  Anything that you don't protect, will get hurt.

On 12/25/2018 at 4:41 PM, Jon Stern said:

Is there any plausible scenario under which back protection is needed on EUC?

The one time I've come off and not kept my feet, I rolled over. Luckily I came down on a nice soft grassy incline. The same onto hardpan would have left me needing a new jacket at least.

Yes, you will thank yourself when you least expect it. It's needed insurance so to speak -smile.

By merely having a Motorcycle Jacket on, that will disburse your fall, and including those hurtful abrasions, it is a great start.

For myself, while doing my practice laps, i.e. 20 minutes full focused specific lap runs - track riding, I will have of course my motorcycle jacket plus overpants on. Now I add my Forcefield's  PRO PANTS - PRO SHIRT as an armoured undergarment, I know it seems overkill, but for my practice-training laps I need to focus entirely vs crashing. And when I crash, its fun, thanks to forcefield lol

Oh, did I mention head-protection? Please have a helmet at first, I had too many concussions, in the past it fun but dumb lol

Cheers,

• Upvote 1

Yes, my first faceplant was on a grass field, and I rolled correctly until I got to my lower back which was mostly straight. I ended up with very slight bruising and the wind knocked out of me.

I would say a spine protector would really help in most crashes, especially high speed ones where you're almost certain to roll.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also have this same top and added the SAS TEC chest option which is really bulky lol, makes me look like hunchback of Notre dame unless I wear a backpack to hide the bulk. The chest protector juts out enough at some fall angles it could hit first instead of your jaw. 

Back protection will make rolls a lot softer! I’ve rolled four or five times at 33 mph and didn’t feel a thing thanks to the back protector. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

i cant see any possible use for back or chest protection.. hand/wrist, knee, elbow, helmet in that order imo.. maybe thats just me but im not sure how you would ever land on your back

Edited by Rywokast

I have wrecked many times on my wheel at about 27-37 MPH. When I hit I always spin and get to my back sooner or later. I have always had a backpack that has a lower belt strap. I would have lost a lot of skin without it. Just be careful about what you have in your backpack. 

1 hour ago, RockyTop said:

I have wrecked many times on my wheel at about 27-37 MPH. When I hit I always spin and get to my back sooner or later. I have always had a backpack that has a lower belt strap. I would have lost a lot of skin without it. Just be careful about what you have in your backpack. 

How has your wheel held up to many crashes at those speeds👀

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rywokast said:

cant see any possible use for back or chest protection

Some members who faceplant actually fall on their chest while superman’ing. So a chest protector would definetly help in a faceplant. Back protector cushions rolls; I actually had a cutout while riding backwards and fell on my back and elbow pads and didn’t feel a thing thankfully. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Some members who faceplant actually fall on their chest while superman’ing. So a chest protector would definetly help in a faceplant. Back protector cushions rolls; I actually had a cutout while riding backwards and fell on my back and elbow pads and didn’t feel a thing thankfully. 

its instinctual to protect your torso by putting out your arms or legs, and you would have zero hesitation if you had on wrist guards, elbow and knee pads.. youd have to be going pretty damn fast and be very unlucky to need them.. i guess its better safe than sorry but i just see it as overkill

20 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

better question is why are you crashing many times at those speeds O.o lucky you havent broken your neck

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Rywokast said:

its instinctual to protect your torso by putting out your arms or legs, and you would have zero hesitation if you had on wrist guards, elbow and knee pads.. youd have to be going pretty damn fast and be very unlucky to need them.. i guess its better safe than sorry but i just see it as overkill

Even if you do put out your arms this isn’t a regular 5mph stumble and fall. The velocity someone could be traveling at would just cause their arms to buckle instead of holding them up and cause the chest to impact the ground hard. 

Not to mention you’re forgetting wrist guards cause your arms to slide forward to prevent wrist strains, exposing your chest to an impact. 

Edited by Darrell Wesh
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Darrell Wesh said:

Even if you do put out your arms this isn’t a regular 5mph stumble and fall. The velocity someone could be traveling at would just cause their arms to buckle instead of holding them up and cause the chest to impact the ground hard. 

Not to mention you’re forgetting wrist guards cause your arms to slide forward to prevent wrist strains, exposing your chest to an impact. 

yea good points.. i guess maybe im used to riding around with like three coats on here lmao so i basically have upper body protection already xD

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Darrell Wesh said:

MSX . Amazingly well. I added protection to the wheel. All of the corner edges are protected. That said I have broken about 5 internal stew towers and it make creaking sound when I shift from one foot to the other. The plastics above the tail light is bent in a little. 

10 hours ago, Rywokast said:

better question is why are you crashing many times at those speeds O.o lucky you havent broken your neck

DISCLAIMER: 

I do not encourage people to crash and I am not telling you how to crash properly. It takes a lifetime of experience and quick instinct. 

I have crashed on a large list of powerful machines.......  and self made contraptions. My best skill is crashing and I DO NOT encourage others to truly test their crashing skills. While hitting the ground is quicker on an EUC I have found that even in a cut out do to low battery power and high speed I still have enough time to turn and hit the ground properly. Yes it still hurts. The biggest mistake people make is putting their arms out in front of them and try to stop the forward motion and downward fall. You break arms and shoulders. Instead you need to swipe and turn. Turn you head and get to your back. I wear a glossy helmet and have never even scratched the thing. ( years of protecting the head)

WHY SO RECKLESS !!!??

As I said, my best skill is crashing.... not riding.  It was not intentional. I make mistakes and learn from them.  I now know the limits and what to expect. Sadly I tend to get hurt more when not pushing the limits. It is a lesson on complacency. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Was doing some skill riding the other day and had on my full armour(EVS g7 suit and Fox proframe helmet) .I was riding backwards in a straight line at about 20kmh and got a bit loose and fell backwards onto asphalt and with my back taking first impact and then my head getting a whack.Paying for good armour and a good helmet means i got away with nothing more than a sore back and a stiff neck for 2 days as opposed to probably a couple of broken ribs which hurt like FxxK and a visit to the local emergency department to have my head sewed back together.Crashes are best avoided but are inevitable.

• Like 1

I am thinking the best course of action if you experience a cut out is bending the knees and having them hit first, then the hands and elbows follow.  Plastic pads should slide on the pavement, and I always wear knee, wrist, elbow protection and a helmet.  If it’s cool enough where I am wearing a motorcycle jacket I shouldn’t have too many abrasions.  If it’s hot, well low speed road rash normally heals faster than broken bones.  Now just to get my mind to make my body do this and not try to run it off.  Falling vertically is not going to be as bad as a sudden stop at speed.  The worst accidents will be contacting immovable objects or a vehicle going the other way.   Having a cut out and falling into a tree or fire hydrant is going to be bad.   So will hitting a bicycle going the opposite direction.