Out of the box ninebot z10 not working

Marco Domingos

After posting my two suggestions and getting minimal feedback I decided to unfollow.
I've been on the internet and on this planet long enough to know when i'm helping someone more than they want to help themselves.
My will to help shouldn't be stronger than the persons who needs help.

Regardless I came back to check on the progress.

Marco if you still want help then give us the information we asked for.
You should be able to name the seller. If we know the name of the seller we *might* know if it is a reputable seller and so on.
Also explain in more detail the method of your test and the results.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Mike Sacristan said:

Yes I also want this to turn out well.
This kind of hassle is my greatest nightmare and something that might await me soon considering I have ordered an MSX from AliExpress.

:roflmao:  .  Eh, I mean...Let's hope it all goes well. :facepalm:

12 hours ago, Marco Domingos said:

the seller name is sumtop store. 

Because I don't like crying myself to sleep, I don't buy off Aliexpress, But has anyone bought a wheel from the SUMTOP store.  Specifically any experience with returns or repairs or exchanges?

Smoother i saw that we are only around 45 minutes away do you think that you could help me? By the way i buy a voltmeter today and i check and super bad results 6.6walts. Im waiting to see what they tell me about the proposal because i asked the refund and if they want the wheel back they will have to pay the shipping. Maybe they tell me to stay with it. Of yes what should i do? And beside that 6.6walts this battery is definitley dead yeah? Is dangerous to make a jumpstart to this one dont you guys think? By the way i was waiting to have once again the right to write another comment here because is blocking me after 1 or 2 comments. Smoother if you think that maybe you could help me send me a private message by email. Marcoavdomingos@gmail.com

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

hi guys (sorry bad english)

2 days ago I received my Z10 from gearbest and yes, unfortunately for me it is a bad  battery one. no turn on, no charge, nothing. dead

after some videos and procedures without success I test the output voltage of the battery, less than 10V. I think this battery is very dead. what do you think?

i am sad. this is my first euc.. bad start :(

photo_2019-02-09_16-47-40.jpg

photo_2019-02-09_16-48-13.jpg

43 minutes ago, kamadella said:

hi guys (sorry bad english)

2 days ago I received my Z10 from gearbest and yes, unfortunately for me it is a bad  battery one. no turn on, no charge, nothing. dead

after some videos and procedures without success I test the output voltage of the battery, less than 10V. I think this battery is very dead. what do you think?

i am sad. this is my first euc.. bad start :(

photo_2019-02-09_16-47-40.jpg

photo_2019-02-09_16-48-13.jpg

The measured voltage has nothing to say...as the BMS cuts off voltage output, when under a certain voltage.

Just follow the instructions, which are in short, charge the battery directly by circumventing the board of Z10.

Also you need to plug out the other white plugs i see in the photo!

Just now, US69 said:

The measured voltage has nothing to say...as the BMS cuts off voltage output, when under a certain voltage.

Just follow the instructions, which are in short, charge the battery directly by circumventing the board of Z10.

Also you need to plug out the other white plugs i see in the photo!

really thank you, I was lost all hope

i will re-try

thank again

Can I ask...US69...the BMS isn't cutting off the voltage though is it. It's showing 4.89v. I can't understand why a BMS voltage cutoff isn't a proper, 0v cutoff. It's how my previous experience of BMS's work. That said I bow to Ninebots greater wisdom, there must be a reason for it (and it's uncannily close to a USB voltage) but I can't see what possible reason there is that carries a greater urgency for a low voltage feed than shutting off the batts completely. It's one concern that I am trying to find a conclusive answer to - the Z range really interests me but I would be much happier if I had the knowledge that whatever happens to the wheel or length of storage, the batts do not ever (within reason) drop below minimum safe voltage. With the reading found by kamadella, I am unsure.

I accept that if they do drop below minimum, people can and do manage to charge them but the cells will never be the same again, for sure. Having had an e-bike battery re-celled at some expense, I would not want to do the same with the (larger) Z battery. especially on what could be a brand new wheel.

13 hours ago, Planemo said:

Can I ask...US69...the BMS isn't cutting off the voltage though is it. It's showing 4.89v. I can't understand why a BMS voltage cutoff isn't a proper, 0v cutoff.

Once the output mosfets of the bms cutoff and one tries to measure with an high impedance voltmeter one gets a voltage divider. So the voltmeter shows the battery voltage divided in the ratio of the bms mosfet shut off resistance and the voltmeter input resistance.

13 hours ago, Planemo said:

It's one concern that I am trying to find a conclusive answer to - the Z range really interests me but I would be much happier if I had the knowledge that whatever happens to the wheel or length of storage, the batts do not ever (within reason) drop below minimum safe voltage. With the reading found by kamadella, I am unsure.

One would have to open the battery pack to get the real measurement of the cells and the knowledge if all of them were within a safe voltage range...

Or one could measure the output voltage while "reviving" the pack - once the bms turns on again on get valid voltage readings again, turn off the charger and one can (almost) see about which voltage the pack went down to. But one will still not know if and how "balanced" the cells were in such a situation.

On the other side li ion cells have very small self discharge (some percent per month) so they could survive by such a undervoltage bms cut off very long time in some save voltage range like from ?2.5V downto 2.xV?

Edit: ps: the "main problem" seems to be to way to high used quiesent current while turned off. So as some/many reports show here, such bms undervoltage shut off happen also once the wheel is stored and not recharged regularly... :( Would be great if this is no "hardware design fault" but could be solved by ninebot with a firmware update! ... But there are no reports i got in this direction...

Hi folks,

I outgrew my ninebot e+ and ordered the z10 on a whim 2 days back. It arrived today but will not power on. I bought via Ebay seller pro-optics, it was shown to be in Los Angeles. I have a 14 day window to return it to the store (I would have to pay for return shipping). I have well... many questions running through my head lol...

1. Is this a newer unit with BMS update? Can someone tell when it was manufactured based on the serial #?

664404312_ninebot(1).thumb.png.111dd316399c5b20b0ad66165ae1e080.png

2. Should i try this fix?

3. Is it is safe to use the z10 with this fix, is the battery at risk of cutting out (:facepalm:), going up in flames (:furious:)

4. Will i die from using this product...:popcorn:

5. If I end up returning it, I wonder if my CC purchase protection will cover the shipping (Chase)

17 minutes ago, monkykap said:

Hi folks,

I outgrew my ninebot e+ and ordered the z10 on a whim 2 days back. It arrived today but will not power on. I bought via Ebay seller pro-optics, it was shown to be in Los Angeles. I have a 14 day window to return it to the store (I would have to pay for return shipping). I have well... many questions running through my head lol...

1. Is this a newer unit with BMS update? Can someone tell when it was manufactured based on the serial #?

2. Should i try this fix?

3. Is it is safe to use the z10 with this fix, is the battery at risk of cutting out (:facepalm:), going up in flames (:furious:)

4. Will i die from using this product...:popcorn:

5. If I end up returning it, I wonder if my CC purchase protection will cover the shipping (Chase)

When you say it won't power up, do you really mean that "you can't charge it"?

If the issue is charging, this is a well known problem with a documented fix. At this point, nobody should buy a Z10 unless they are willing to open it and perform this simple surgery, because the odds are high that you will receive a fully discharged wheel.

I assume that you've already seen the multitude of fixes that have been posted here and in Facebook, and understand the process.

1. Can't help you here, but not sure why it's important
2. Only you can answer this question
3. The "fix" is to charge the batteries. Not really a fix and therefore I can't see any downstream issues with charging it.
4. Highly unlikely, but no guarantees :D
5. No idea.

Hope this can help: I (and many others) have had same situation with new Z10 out of the box. So please don't worry because you aren't alone. It's just the downside when buying a product without 10000+ reviews on Amazon or elsewhere and the lacking momentum on (tiny) manufacturers. On the other hand we have a very skillful and engaged community where you can expect qualified help nearly any time. This has been my experience in here all the time. Besides from that you now are member of a sworn community of uniques...:rolleyes:

But now absolutely: What @Marty Backe mentioned is true at all. Just do the resurrection of batteries which were cut off by BMS due to self discharge rate. They are not dead at all but disconnected at a certain voltage rate.  There are lot descriptions avialable here or on YT how to get on.  Of course that's a silly feature because offline power drain should be fixed with priority. Hope this get fixed by next firmware release.

29 minutes ago, Mimetic Polyalloy said:

Hope this can help: I (and many others) have had same situation with new Z10 out of the box. So please don't worry because you aren't alone. It's just the downside when buying a product without 10000+ reviews on Amazon or elsewhere and the lacking momentum on (tiny) manufacturers. On the other hand we have a very skillful and engaged community where you can expect qualified help nearly any time. This has been my experience in here all the time. Besides from that you now are member of a sworn community of uniques...:rolleyes:

But now absolutely: What @Marty Backe mentioned is true at all. Just do the resurrection of batteries which were cut off by BMS due to self discharge rate. They are not dead at all but disconnected at a certain voltage rate.  There are lot descriptions avialable here or on YT how to get on.  Of course that's a silly feature because offline power drain should be fixed with priority. Hope this get fixed by next firmware release.

We hope that there will be another firmware release :cry2:

12 hours ago, monkykap said:

Hi folks,

[Cut]

If you want to know manufacturing date of whole wheel you will have to look at your unit´s serial number i.e. in the app. It reads typical  N30TC1838Txxxx which means that it was produced in week 38 of year 2018. The last four digits are counting upwards continiously with eyery item. But again I think it´s not necessary to solve your issue.

Update:

Thanks for easing my conscience. The activation fix in the above video worked for my z10. Riding it the first evening was a little weird with the way it handles turns, but I got used to it by the second day. Just waiting on a helmet to ship, but already hit close to top speeds. I feel pretty safe on this wheel, the only issue I would say is the rate @ which you can break. That being said to ride the wheel safely means keeping safe distance and appropriate speeds for the situation, accelerating and breaking reasonably. I can definitely get places with this wheel with easy speed, looking forward to testing it on different terrains and whether conditions. :D

Archived