Out of the box ninebot z10 not working

Marco Domingos

3 minutes ago, jojo33 said:

I said it's supposition  batteries are not activated or desactivated for pass custom 

But if this were the case, wouldn't every Z6, Z10 be shipped the same way, and wouldn't instruction on how to wake them up, be in the box?  And what about other makes of wheels.  No dealer has said "oh yes, they all come to us in sleep mode and we have to revive them".  The opposite in fact.  Dealers on here report it as a failure.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/27/2018 at 9:59 PM, Smoother said:

But if this were the case, wouldn't every Z6, Z10 be shipped the same way, and wouldn't instruction on how to wake them up, be in the box?  And what about other makes of wheels.  No dealer has said "oh yes, they all come to us in sleep mode and we have to revive them".  The opposite in fact.  Dealers on here report it as a failure.

Maybe it's from the shipper agent 

But we need to know whats really happens with these DOA batteries 

@US69 have right we had last winter from amazon usa à lot of mini pro DOA and members post serial with production date in 2016 

Batteries went in winter sleep mode 

I saw a similar post in Gearbest Customer Reviews for the Z10.

-Activer la batterie : Débranchez l’alimentation transfo, dévissez le panneau droit, débranchez les câbles batterie(x2), branché l’alimentation transfo, batterie activé…, débranché l’alimentation transfo, rebranché les câbles batterie(x2), revisser, rebranchez l’alimentation.-Attention : ne pas lever en tenant les extrémités du manche, ne pas lever après avoir fait avancée manuellement.-Lourde : attendre la batterie graphène plus légère et performante.-Le bouton OFF, coupe instantanément la roue, obligatoire en cas de défaut capteur (arrêt d’urgence), donc ne pas appuyer en roulant !!!-Bouchon de l’alimentation, pas top !Pour le reste … machine de guerre !

Google Translate to English:

-Activate the battery: Disconnect the transformer power supply, unscrew the right panel, disconnect the battery cables (x2), connect the transformer power supply, battery activated ..., unplug the transformer power supply, reconnect the battery cables (x2), screw back, reconnect the power supply.-Caution: do not lift while holding the ends of the handle, do not lift after having advanced manually.-Heavy: wait for graphene battery lighter and powerful.-The OFF button, instantly cut the wheel, mandatory in case of sensor fault (emergency stop), so do not press while rolling !!! - Stopper of the power supply, not top! For the rest ... war machine!

13 minutes ago, jojo33 said:

This is false because gearbest dont have any stock it's a dropshipper 

I never speak about a chemical sleep mode these are your words 

I said it's supposition  batteries are not activated or desactivated for pass custom 

And wé can ask to @Marco Domingos post serial number and we could check year and week of the year of his one z production 

He, this is nothing against Gearbest...i am a happy Customer there myself.....or by any means against you, and your efforts to show good deals here! Nope, keep up the good work! Just wanted to clear up this cell thing...

Would be nice if a „activation“ or „deactivation“ of lithium cells would work...but unfortunatly its not.

Its not alone that lithium cells must be transported in a specific charge state, also all electric vehicle producers that are reliable test all the cells they are using. And when they receive a cell from the battery cell producer its allready working and can not be „deactivated“ in any way....

8 minutes ago, jojo33 said:

Batteries went in winter sleep mode 

https://www.mini-j.world/home/news/warning-mini-pro/

Good warning there on your website!

But as you yourself say: Only revive batterys when they are not under 2,5-3volt per cell!

Reviving more empty cells can be fatal for later security.

On the Z10 the problem is just that the board/wheel draws a good amount of voltage when the wheel is not powered on, so even relativly new wheels -one/two months old- may slip under 3,3 Volt per cell. That would be no problem if board/BMS react proper to it...but it doesnt.

So the correct solution is to civrcumvent the board (best after checking the voltage isnt already TO low) and charge the battery directly as shown in the videos....

Then the problem should be solved. As it seams the Z6/10 takes a good draw even if OFF, so check the wheel when not using it over longer time.

or else another explanation: it is not the battery that would pose a problem to the customs but bluetooth radio equipment that does not respect the American and European standards that could explain why the One Z have no FCC USA approval or in Europe.

Custom cant check bluetooth signal intensity if the device cant be turn on

16 minutes ago, US69 said:

Good warning there on your website!

Thank you @US69 

2 hours ago, jojo33 said:

I also have never read of deactivated li ion batteries before. There are li ion cells with protection circuits (they are a little bit longer - the protection circuit sits on the top) - they are disabled once their voltage goes under some threshold  (2.5V?) and they can be activated again with a special charger. If their internal voltage did never drop below 1.5V and not below 2V for too long. But as far as i know these cells were never used for eucs - the Z10 would be the first and imho this is not really feasable (more expensive and mor e important higher internal resistance? Does the protection circuit "survive" 10A?!). But who knows?

More likely (imho) is: For air cargo the are only allowed to be charged to a maximum of 30%. There will be some limitations like this for other transportation modes, too. And some Z10 with quite some self discharge were already reported - so even "normal" transportation times could be enough to deplete the batteries, as the one reported with only 20V (~1.4V per cell).

Edit: maybe ninebot implemented some BMS "sleep mode" which deactivates power supply (turning the wheel "totaly" off below some battery voltage for transportation) and should be deactivated by plugging the charger to the wheel again? But this did/does not work out in some cases? Wasn't there also the tip that some BMS firmware update can solve such problems?

And/or some battery packs were just charged too low before the transport and/or transported a bit too long, so that pack voltages like this 20V occured in some cases, so that they could not be charged normally again?

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

So assuming a minimum acceptable voltage at 3.1V per cell should he be reading 43.4V (3.1V x 14 cells) or higher from a pack? ( I assume that's 14 cells in series, disregarding any parallel nature of the packs).

2.5V is the specified low limit voltage for most li ion cells. 2V for not too long could be ok. 1.5V could work to revive but incresses risk for hazard (according to batteryuniversity.com - cells below 2V (for something like a week? Don't remember exactly) and cells near this 1.5V need special monitoring and tests to be sure they will operate normaly and safely again.

Guys i try what you guys told me to do with the video and notging happen.. The problem is to send it back they are asking to send it back and is around 400£. What should i do? I dont know what to do really. Should i do or not the jump start? Should i ask for a parcial refund and repair here in the uk? And where to go

9 hours ago, Marco Domingos said:

Guys i try what you guys told me to do with the video and notging happen..

You opened a case for DOA? @jojo33 told, they don't answer immedeately.

The problem is to send it back they are asking to send it back and is around 400£

Pfff... That is hard :blink1:. This is "only" the retour shipment cost for their DOA guarantee?

And they refund the money after they checked it?

But if they did not respond to your video, how can this be a DOA case? Am i missing something or am i just lost in translation?

. What should i do? I dont know what to do really.

Maybe it helps that you mention the reports in big EUC communities of the well known Z10 probs and asking 400£ shipment cost wont help their sales?

Should i do or not the jump start?

It's not guaranted it will help, and if they batteries were below 28V too long you can still have a bad (and dangerous) battery pack. And this would finaly void any warranty.

Should i ask for a parcial refund and repair here in the uk? And where to go

A 1000Wh battery pack costs much much more than £400. Official ninebot spare parts are not available at the market.

Btw: you have some legal expenses insurance? Maybe they can help you - don't know if it is according to the UK consumer protection law for online business to let you pay such shipment cost for a DOA with the "promise" to check and refund it...

Ps.: Make a nice documentation, follow the steps @jojo33 gave you, don't miss any time frames - and publish the return costs for DOA Z10 of £400 in the EUC social media world... I'd assume bad reputation is the last thing .... wants.

Edit: ... Everything changes .... 😎

In the end she buy from aliexpress. Is it the same procedure? And yes we reported to them that the device was dead. Today I'm going to call ninebot here in the UK and see what they tell me if not I will have to send it back if exchanging the battery is so expensive like you guys tell and besides that of ninebot don't give us the chance to buy new batteries how can we maintain our wheel for a good time? I'm super disappointed with all this. I should have continued only riding electric skateboards. 

1 hour ago, Marco Domingos said:

In the end she buy from aliexpress. Is it the same procedure?

On aliexpress it's different - aliexpress is just an online platform and there are different sellers. The sellers provide a set of return guarantees and aliexpress provides a return & refund guarantee. Everything including workflow details to be found on aliexpress's website:

https://sale.aliexpress.com/__pc/buyerprotection-seller_guaranteed.htm#2

You're hopefully still in the 15 days protection period. 

Never ever close the opened dispute on aliexpress or pay something to the seller before you are "satisfied" - there are some not so nice practices already reported from some aliexpress resellers...

And yes we reported to them that the device was dead.

To aliexpress or to the reseller? You hopefully already opened a dispute at aliexpress?!

Today I'm going to call ninebot here in the UK and see what they tell me if not I will have to send it back if exchanging the battery is so expensive like you guys tell and besides that of ninebot don't give us the chance to buy new batteries how can we maintain our wheel for a good time?

Ninebot has no official distribution of the Z10 in Europe. They are in no way involved in this. Some resellers already stated that there is (almost) no support from ninebot for them - so they are not really pushing anything (maybe just inside china?)

And yes - normally batteries are about the most expensive parts of an EUC

I'm super disappointed with all this. I should have continued only riding electric skateboards. 

Understandable. But if you buy a electric skateboard at aliexpress from the wrong shop, I'm sure similar things happen...

Additionally it's a pity you choose the Z10 with their (by now) quality problems with the battery/BMS or whatever this is exactly and had the bad luck to just get one of the affected ones ;(

10 hours ago, Marco Domingos said:

Guys i try what you guys told me to do with the video and notging happen.. The problem is to send it back they are asking to send it back and is around 400£. What should i do? I dont know what to do really. Should i do or not the jump start? Should i ask for a parcial refund and repair here in the uk? And where to go

Gearbest seem to a have a completely open return policy https://www.gearbest.com/about/warranty-and-return.html#war1

Follow it precisely, they will refund you. You cannot be expected to foot he bill, this is against EU law.

Aliexpress have nothing to do with the leagl status of your transaction, your issue is with Gearbest.

They are EU based seller and therefore must comply with EU law.

I think you should just go through the motions of the return as directed.

You will get your refund.

3 minutes ago, Chriull said:

Ahh ok my apologies, I may have missed that post in the thread.

so if she bought from AliExpress, not Gearbest, its all safe... just a headache and time-waste in the returns process.

11 hours ago, Marco Domingos said:

@Marco Domingos

So you bought on aliexpress….

What is the Name of the specified shop you bought it? Some are even here in the Forum, and for some sellers i can tell About our (Forum) experiences.

As i said before….sending the Wheel back is ridiculous expensive and makes nearly no sense! Name and shame the seller!

What i would advise if he absolutly dont give you a new Wheel without sending back: 

Try to find out a bit more About the Problem, what is for example the voltage of the battery pack?

There are two Major Quality Problems with the Z10 at the time:

First there is the "battery to low-Firmware does not allow to charge" Problem....but then the other one with over 10% Dead on Arrival is a specific resistor which is dead on the Mainboard! So your Wheel might even Need a new Motherboard...

So what i personal would recommend (after dealing more with the seller, getting a partial refund at least!!!):

Bite  in the apple and instead of blowing over 400pounds in the air for sending back...send your Wheel to 1radwerkstatt.de!!! In Germany....

He can repair all wheels, he offered the Z10 himself and knows what todo ….and he has a fantastic Reputation. Sending your Wheel in Europe Costs just About 20-40Euro.

So it is worth it.... So to make it short...squeeze as much Money out of the seller...then contact 1Rad and get it repaired.

That would be my strategy

And btw: Please Forget calling Ninebot in the UK....they would only lough at you and ask why you buy in China directly...no Chance there!

1 hour ago, US69 said:

Try to find out a bit more About the Problem, what is for example the voltage of the battery pack?

Yes - that's an important point for the next steps! But please be careful not to short anything while handling this - such a battery pack holds enormous amounts of energy!

1 hour ago, US69 said:

There are two Major Quality Problems with the Z10 at the time:

First there is the "battery to low-Firmware does not allow to charge" Problem....but then the other one with over 10% Dead on Arrival is a specific resistor which is dead on the Mainboard! So your Wheel might even Need a new Motherboard...

So what i personal would recommend (after dealing more with the seller, getting a partial refund at least!!!):

Bite  in the apple and instead of blowing over 400pounds in the air for sending back...send your Wheel to 1radwerkstatt.de!!! In Germany....

He can repair all wheels, he offered the Z10 himself and knows what todo ….and he has a fantastic Reputation. Sending your Wheel in Europe Costs just About 20-40Euro.

So it is worth it.... So to make it short...squeeze as much Money out of the seller...then contact 1Rad and get it repaired.

Could be worth the money, if he can repair it - if he has to replace the battery (because the voltage went too low) it will get expensive anyhow... ;(

1 minute ago, Chriull said:

if he has to replace the battery (because the voltage went too low) it will get expensive anyhow

Sure...that would be really the worst case Scenario :-(

I HOPE the BMS of the Z10 is at least that good, that it has a undervoltage protection, and then cuts off the battery when going under a certain voltage (KS for example does on 2,6Volt per cell -pack 52Volt- on the new 18L/XL).

Then -whatever electronics part are the culprit - should not be able to deplete the Z10 battery even more.  If the BMS is NOT doing that...shame on 9b....

Thats why @Marco Domingos should try to find out the voltage of his Wheel...

24 minutes ago, US69 said:

Thats why @Marco Domingos should try to find out the voltage of his Wheel...

Btw. As Marco said, the Video method did not work….so either the cells are really to low already (what is kind of hard to believe for me)...or it really Points to a Board Hardware failure :wacko:

10 hours ago, US69 said:

Btw. As Marco said, the Video method did not work….so either the cells are really to low already (what is kind of hard to believe for me)...or it really Points to a Board Hardware failure :wacko:

Board failure? That's the best case scenario.  Its a lot easier to ship a board than a wheel, cheaper too.  Just need that confirmed by Marco.

I don't have a voltmeter to check.. I'm going to try to get my money and I'm really thinking to buy an evolve carbon gt.. Customer service 0. I call the guys responsible for ninebot in the UK and they told me we don't have your payment so we don't have anything to talk. For sure its a fake wheel. I couldn't expect this. Never been so badly treated by a company in all my life. So I really think to send this piece of garbage to them and get my money. That will be the fight now. I'm used to riding electric skateboards here in the UK and I think that I will continue in this path.. Im sad because i really wanted this wheel but in the end even if i was swaping to another z10 what could i expect for the future if I get another problem? Evolve give 5 years warranty to all parts.. I needed this wheel to make 11miles per day

56 minutes ago, Marco Domingos said:

I don't have a voltmeter to check.. I'm going to try to get my money and I'm really thinking to buy an evolve carbon gt.. Customer service 0. I call the guys responsible for ninebot in the UK and they told me we don't have your payment so we don't have anything to talk. For sure its a fake wheel. I couldn't expect this. Never been so badly treated by a company in all my life. So I really think to send this piece of garbage to them and get my money. That will be the fight now. I'm used to riding electric skateboards here in the UK and I think that I will continue in this path.. Im sad because i really wanted this wheel but in the end even if i was swaping to another z10 what could i expect for the future if I get another problem? Evolve give 5 years warranty to all parts.. I needed this wheel to make 11miles per day

@Marco Domingos I'm afraid this is rapidly turning into a fiasco....on your part.  First you give us the wrong supplier.  Then you tell is it's from Aliexpress, but you don't answer the question when people ask "which Supplier?".  Then when told to check the battery voltage, you say you don't have a voltage meter.  I just saw one on line for £3.99.  Now you tell us Ninebot UK tell you you are not a customer because you haven't paid them anything, even though others have already told you that you are not their customer.  The only person not trying to help you  is you.

"so for that reason, I'm out"... of this discussion.  Good luck with your skateboarding.

First it was a Christmas present since the beginning I told you guys. Beside that at this time of the year with only 6 days to decide is not something is to resolve and by a voltmeter. I don't have a lot of friend in here. I asked for my neighbour and 2 other friends they don't have between arriving the voltmeter the 6 days will be gone. I try to make everything that you guys told me to do. I try the 2 ways. I contact segway ninebot here in the UK to see if they could resolve the problem. Im not losing my time also writing in here just for fun. Sharing my thoughts and hearing what you guys have to say. Sorry if it was a present and if i dont have the access to the aliexpress account. Because like i told you guys it was a present from my girlfriend. Im going to see what they tell me. Im just scared of all this situation.. Im not good with electrician things. Sorry if i upset someone. 

2 hours ago, Marco Domingos said:

First it was a Christmas present since the beginning I told you guys. Beside that at this time of the year with only 6 days to decide is not something is to resolve and by a voltmeter. I don't have a lot of friend in here. I asked for my neighbour and 2 other friends they don't have between arriving the voltmeter the 6 days will be gone. I try to make everything that you guys told me to do. I try the 2 ways. I contact segway ninebot here in the UK to see if they could resolve the problem. Im not losing my time also writing in here just for fun. Sharing my thoughts and hearing what you guys have to say. Sorry if it was a present and if i dont have the access to the aliexpress account. Because like i told you guys it was a present from my girlfriend. Im going to see what they tell me. Im just scared of all this situation.. Im not good with electrician things. Sorry if i upset someone. 

Its a real shame that you and your girlfriend don't talk any more.:facepalm:  Not upset, just can't be bothered anymore to help someone who doesn't seem to take advice, or can't buy a volt meter.  I realise English might be a second language for you, but you seem to be understanding just fine, except when it comes to answering questions from those trying to help you. It's probably just you and me on this thread now.  Every one else has found better things to do.

Archived