Out of the box ninebot z10 not working

Marco Domingos

Hi everyone..

This chrismas my girlfriend decided to buy me the ninebot z10.. But the problem is that the board dont start.. He never turn on one time and if you put in charge thr charger continue green. After that i decided to open and check it by my self if it could be a connection with the battery but in the end no.. Is even flashing 2 small red light.  Can someone help me please? I dont know what to do

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice girlfriend, does she have a sister? ;)

But seriously, and firstly, welcome to the site.  Lots of good people here.

Secondly, DON'T OPEN A BRAND NEW WHEEL, IT MAY VOID THE WARRANTY !

Oh, I see you already did that.  Ok, so the advice so far is good. Leave it to the retailer to get it fixed.  Hopefully she bought it from someone reputable.  It might be frustrating waiting, but it will be resolved before long.  Just don't mess with it anymore.

I'm over in Biggleswade for the rest of the winter, so if you need assistance maybe we could meet up somewhere in between. (when I get my control board back from Poland, see, you're not the only one waiting for a repair)

So I looked up Gearbest and although there is a UK web page, I think it is all shipped from China by order.  Someone else can confirm or deny that.  Don't worry (yet) many things purchased directly this way, get fixed, eventually.  You might not like the method though.  You may have to ship the wheel back to China, and/or pay for shipping on a new one.  Just speculation here.

I am in a similar situation, as I bought both my wheels internationally (Germany and Poland). currently my KS16s control board is in the mail back to me from Poland.  Of course shipping from Europe is a doddle compared to China (distance, cost, language, duties, time, etc, etc, etc).

Try to look at it this way; your girlfriend is getting you a Z10 for Easter. :(

9 minutes ago, Vanzen said:

Many topics about "deep sleep Z10".

1 disconnect the battery power connectors, ie two yellow connectors.

2. disconnect the charging connectoor, the white one. Then reconnect it.

3. Press power button for 30 seconds.

4. plugging in the charger to the charging port.

5. the charger's light blinks red and green alternatively.

6. after 10 minutes, the charger light will turn to red, charging is going on now. The battery is activated .

The video stops here. I think you just let it charge up to green, then reconnect the yellow connectors.  put the cover back. Done.

Now add @novazeus's observation to the instruction: power on to the charger first before plug it to the charging port.

I'm going once again to try to do this but I have already tried it. And nothing lets give a second go. They already told that they give me the money back but I have to pay for shipping when they should have checked that is a faulty unit. If it will work I will let you guys know

4 minutes ago, Marco Domingos said:

They already told that they give me the money back but I have to pay for shipping when they should have checked that is a faulty unit. If it will work I will let you guys know

How much do they ask for shipping?

With the amount of Z10s dead on arrival it would not really be recommendable to order such units from gearbest... :(

@jojo33 - do you have any tipps on how to solve such a problem. I'd assume you are one of the most experienced here in regard to gearbest?

17 hours ago, Smoother said:

So I looked up Gearbest and although there is a UK web page, I think it is all shipped from China by order.  Someone else can confirm or deny that.  Don't worry (yet) many things purchased directly this way, get fixed, eventually.  You might not like the method though.  You may have to ship the wheel back to China, and/or pay for shipping on a new one.  Just speculation here.

I am in a similar situation, as I bought both my wheels internationally (Germany and Poland). currently my KS16s control board is in the mail back to me from Poland.  Of course shipping from Europe is a doddle compared to China (distance, cost, language, duties, time, etc, etc, etc).

I doubt that any normal user is able to send a EUC back to China....beside the fact that the Costs of that are horrendous.

The only reason that this works for shipping in Europe is because it is Transport by land, not by air.

Complete EUCs with our batterysize are dangerous goods and the paperworks Needed for that are crazy and can afaik only be done by Special freight handlers.

But for a sendback to Gearbest there might be the lucky Situation that you can send back the goods to the european warehouse, at least i heard such Things.

And yeah, acording to ewheels, who is having more than 10% of the Z10  DeadOnArrival ordering from gearbest is a lotterie :-)

2 hours ago, Marco Domingos said:

I'm going once again to try to do this but I have already tried it. And nothing lets give a second go. They already told that they give me the money back but I have to pay for shipping when they should have checked that is a faulty unit. If it will work I will let you guys know

Well,  there's hope at least.  I would try it more than once, if it doesn't work the first time.  I can't count the number of things in life that didn't work the first second, or fifth time but then suddenly worked on the Nth try.  Can't explain it and can't replicate it, but for a £1500+ item, its worth giving it a real good go, or 6.  Try variations of the main instructions.  Something will work, eventually.

3 hours ago, Marco Domingos said:

50 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Well,  there's hope at least.  I would try it more than once, if it doesn't work the first time.  I can't count the number of things in life that didn't work the first second, or fifth time but then suddenly worked on the Nth try.  Can't explain it and can't replicate it, but for a £1500+ item, its worth giving it a real good go, or 6.  Try variations of the main instructions.  Something will work, eventually.

Yes and no - this dis- and reconnecting sounds like doing some BMS or whatever reset? If this does not work, the chances are high that the battery voltage already got too low. Like in the other topic i linked above one Z10 owner reported the battery pack went already down to 20V - with it's 14 cells that's ~1.4V per cell. With such a voltage the cells are dead - already lost much of their capacity and if they can be "revived" (like this poster did) there will be an ongoing future risk of thermal runaway.

So nothing one really want to try and try until it somehow works. Best to measure with an voltmeter how much voltage is left on the battery pack... if it's below 2 volt per cell one should try to get rid of this Z10 or at least the battery pack.

From the german/austrian gearbest website i read about a 30 days dead on arrival guarantee - one has to pay the shippment and it will be refounded, if gearbest confirms the DOA.

I assume this is exactly what @Marco Domingos wrote in his post, but i did not get that the shipment costs will be refounded?

On 12/27/2018 at 3:10 PM, Chriull said:

14 cells that's ~1.4V per cell.

So assuming a minimum acceptable voltage at 3.1V per cell should he be reading 43.4V (3.1V x 14 cells) or higher from a pack? ( I assume that's 14 cells in series, disregarding any parallel nature of the packs).

EDIT. Others later state that 2.5V is a safe minimum Voltage, so 2.5V x 14 cells = 35V

8 hours ago, Marco Domingos said:

I don't remember if @obus or @mono who experienced a no loading charge, issue was resolved, it worked after several tries

it appears that the batteries have been neutralized before shipment, to allow the carrier not to declare hazardous materials

therefore the batteries are inert and require that the chemical action is triggered, so it must wait a long time before the process starts

wait many hours 

8 hours ago, Chriull said:

@jojo33 - do you have any tipps on how to solve such a problem. I'd assume you are one of the most experienced here in regard to gearbest?

ok Gearbest after sale service

1 make video pictures about the issue

2 open a ticket, send the video in attached file or video link youtube

3 wait many days before they answer, 

4 wait the proposal

they totally refund you

or they change for a new unit

5 Return: wait agreement before return, you will receive a RMA 

6 never close ticket

7 when you receive RMA ok for return to european warehouse (spain generally), go activate return option with paypal if you used paypal when ordered, will refund 30 euros

8 pack all , send it with tracking to the european warehouse with a copy of RMA, send in attach file copy of shipping fees, 

9 european gearbest warehouse received your packed and send confirmatoion to gearbest

10 gearbest refund you for shipping fees and if you choice be totally refunded, they refund you one z price

11 paypal refund you 30 euros

3 minutes ago, jojo33 said:

appears that the batteries have been neutralized before shipment, to allow the carrier not to declare hazardous materials

therefore the batteries are inert and require that the chemical action is triggered, so it must wait a long time

Please what???

7 minutes ago, US69 said:

Please what???

really seems for a lot of kick scooters or euc, the batteries are inert to avoid transporting them in special containers, which would be expensive, in the eyes of the customs, the chemical process is not active so the batteries can be transported in any container without being worried by the customs

this is an assumption that we discussed with @smallexis an active member with lithium batteries, he repairs batteries in France , and many stocks from china arrived neutralized

it's just a very realistic assumption, we had this problem last winter with the DOA Mini Pro batteries sold by Amazon

Just a small explanation to the „deep sleep problem“ of several Z6/z10

Thats because of a BMS firmware problem. This wont allow the wheel to turn on on to low voltage, but also dont allow the charger/BMS to charge the battery correct. Thats why the workaround is to open the wheel and plug onto the battery directly by going aoround the BMD/board. As soon as the battery runs, this wheels should update their BMS firmware...and this problem should never happen again.

10 minutes ago, US69 said:

and plug onto the battery directly by going aoround the BMD/board.

How is that done?  I didn't see the "going around" step in the step by step instructions.  What you say makes sense.  I recently experimented with recycled lap top batteries.  Some of them wouldn't charge on the Li Ion setting on my charger.  But if I put it on lead acid or some other chemistry (learned it on YouTube) they charged enough to be put back on Li Ion mode and charge successfully.  I'm wondering if what @Chriull said about  revived batteries becoming susceptible to thermal run-away is relevant at that point.

1 minute ago, jojo33 said:

really seems for a lot of kick scooters or euc, the batteries are inert to avoid transporting them in special containers, which would be expensive, in the eyes of the customs, the chemical process is not active so the batteries can be transported in any container without being worried by the customs

this is an assumption that we discussed with @smallexis an active member with lithium batteries, he repairs batteries in France , and many stocks from china arrived neutralized

I really would like to see any trustable article which describes how you can put any new standard lithium 18650 cells into a „chemical sleep mode“...

Sorry, never heard of this ...and if i know anything at all, then i have quite some knowledge about 18650 lithium cells, too

Actually transporting lithium batteries is very fine regulated...and you can just not „avtivate“ or „deactivate“ the chemical process on them. Depending on quantity of cells they are dangerous goods, no matter what „status“ they are in....it is even written  that they must be in a charge status of about 20-60%, when in transport...dont hammer me on exact percentage numbers, but i know they are not allowed to be empty or totally full when in transport....

The z6/z10 problem is because of one of the first firmware BMS versions...its just faulty on he first batches of z6/z10 and received updates lately, see above. and thats something i knew from a trusted seller....

Thats a bit of a general problem on warehouses like gearbest. they have large amount of wheels sitting there for a longer time, the batterys deplete, and there you go when you recieve them and have a sensible wheel firmware. Good luck to anyone buying a 9b One C plus at gearbest...not produced since over 2 years :-) Seams like a good starter wheel for 280 bucks...when the battery is still working :-) 

2 minutes ago, Smoother said:

How is that done?  I didn't see the "going around" step in the step by step instructions.  What you say makes sense.  I recently experimented with recycled lap top batteries.  Some of them wouldn't charge on the Li Ion setting on my charger.  But if I put it on lead acid or some other chemistry (learned it on YouTube) they charged enough to be put back on Li Ion mode and charge successfully.  I'm wondering if what @Chriull said about  revived batteries becoming susceptible to thermal run-away is relevant at that point.

BMS/board sits on the motherboard here, or at least its the motherboard that prevents the z10 from charging on low voltage.

Thats why in the video its enough  to open up the wheel and connect the pack directly to charging.

It is as Chriull said: you may somehow revive the „dead“ cells...but they will continue to make problems!

A 18650 cell is good to go down to about 2,5 - 3 Volt...depending on cell producer, but if they where more down, they are garbage and should go to garbage, nowhere else!

I also revived some 18650 cells in early days of my vaping....they made it one or two charges more .and after that they died again.

Chemical is destroyed when going under a certain voltage, no chance to repair that!

2 minutes ago, US69 said:

they have large amount of wheels sitting there for a longer time

This is false because gearbest dont have any stock it's a dropshipper 

I never speak about a chemical sleep mode these are your words 

I said it's supposition  batteries are not activated or desactivated for pass custom 

And wé can ask to @Marco Domingos post serial number and we could check year and week of the year of his one z production 

Archived