My KS18XL Trials, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

1 hour ago, US69 said:

Yip, thats how it is...

Both  L and XL have slighlty different boards than older L model, newer brighter LED lights, and much stronger trolley insides/inlays with stronger locks.

Beside the bigger battery L and XL are totally identical. 

But they changed oscillation frequency too for the motor control to a higher frequency. What that does in practice I am not aware. @US69 ?

My lamp failed and got serviced. I like it when there is no other lights, but I need extra light to out while lamp posts or else my eyes can't see well enough as they tend to be slow in reaction to changing light conditions.

I just wish we could get a full permanent on mode both front and rear. As it seem the rear light turns off when not breaking.

Edited by Unventor

2 minutes ago, Unventor said:

But they changed oscillation frequency too for the motor control to a higher frequency. What that does in practice I am not aware. @US69 ?

The KS18XL motor is very loud compared to all the newer wheels. KingSong really needs to work on this.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I just wish we could get a full permanent on mode both front and rear. As it seem the rear light turns off when not breaking.

I covered the light sensor with an opaque black tape. The simplest solution that just works :)

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Unventor said:

The DarknessBot app “automatic torch”keeps the light on. It uses time of day to turn the light on rather than the sensor. ..... but tapping the sensor works too. 

6 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

The DarknessBot app “automatic torch”keeps the light on. It uses time of day to turn the light on rather than the sensor. ..... but tapping the sensor works too. 

Well I don't have Apples 😁 and in Kingsong you can turn on headlight to on but it don't seem to affect rear light mode, only headlight, same as if you use power button to force on.

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

Ah! ... I would not have apples either if I did not get a free one from work. ..... You got me thinking. Now I have to go home and see if the rear light stays on.  On a side note, reflectors seem to work better than lights when car headlights are hitting them. 

42 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

The KS18XL motor is very loud compared to all the newer wheels. KingSong really needs to work on this.

„Very loud“ is relative :-) Compared to my 18S its quite quiet , haha...

But yes, not comparable to the silence of newer GW wheels. In my opinion they still both seam to use total different motor driver behaviour.

I have to admit that on the GW i have more of a „gliding“ feeling. Therefor in my view the KS drivers seam to „grab“ more on the magnets and develop especially more breaking torque. But thats all very subjective.....

51 minutes ago, Unventor said:

Afaik this only means a bit different sound :-) And i am not sure, but the newer 18L should use the same, as they all got the same -very minor different- board now!

• Like 1

Ohh thanks @RockyTop 

You like lifted me to the 1000 mark on my profile. 😀

Sorry couldn't help myself. Despite it is kinda off topic. 😇

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ED209 said:

@Unventor & @RockyTop congratulations  you guys, I hope to get there one day 😊

Sure you will +1 😉        more😁

Edited by Unventor
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Bright Light!

I had an opportunity to use the headlamp in total darkness tonight. I'm very impressed. I think this may be the best light of any current EUC.

The Z10 is fairly bright, but it's too dispersed. The Inmotion V10 has a very nice light, but I think it's also a bit too washed out.

The current crop of Gotway wheels have a very bright light but the distribution of light is very tight and not very regular.

This KS18(X)L light is fantastic. Extremely bright with a great distribution pattern. Not too wide like the Inmotion or too tall like the Z10. Seems just about perfect to me :thumbup: 

I just can't help it....your headline..I simply had to...

4 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Yes, we all feel like F-something sometimes :lol::lol::roflmao:

( @Tishawn Fahie perhaps? )

Kinda rings a bell or two...I just like your reviews so much better 😉

Edited by Unventor
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I guess they should if it is bothersome to a large enough rider constituency. Not a problem for me. It's quieter than my other KS wheels. Got caught on Rock Creek Trail at dusk.  The deer were jumping from my path before I reached. They don't do this for headlights, so it must be the XL whine that alerted them to move. 

Cool. I have a built in deer whistle. I bet kingsong didn't figure the sound being useful in this particular application. 😀

• Like 3

3 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I need to replace the inner shells on my 18L in the next week or so, and while it is open I am going to take the opportunity to upgrade the LED and trolley. I'll probably video the "rebuild" and will try to show the difference.

Then I guess I will have an 18L+.   :D

I should probably upgrade the headlight on my L also so it matches the loveliness of the XL shine. 

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ED209 said:

Please if you can, as you have both models, a comparison would be nice. How about taking a photo of the 2 units side by side with the lights on facing out away from the camera? Or something similar. 

Sure. That's a good idea. I wouldn't take the photo I send too seriously though because as @Marty Backe has already pointed out, my 18L is an early 1st batch wheel. If you bought an 18L today you would get the same light that is on my XL.

So, in perspective, the photo I take "is only really going to show the improvement from the old light to the new light as opposed to a difference between the wheels. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Seba said:

@Lutalo, would you be so kind and put both your wheels side by side and make a photo of light spot projected on the wall? :) I'm really curious and can't wait till my wheel arrive to check myself :) 

Sure. Happy to do this. I will post it tomorrow. I am at a "thing" at the moment trying to stay awake 😀😀😀

Edited by Lutalo