My KS18XL Trials, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

2 hours ago, Smoother said:

Nice paint job, I'm envious.........................of your hair.  You've got Hollywood hair.  I've got rest home hair:efef27703d:

I am waiting for a picture here...no fake news like one. 😏

53 minutes ago, Unventor said:

I am waiting for a picture here...no fake news like one. 😏

There's a picture by @meepmeepmayer complete with bald spot.:(

1 hour ago, Rehab1 said:

47016969624_32ffe91072_b.jpg

Yeah but he's got form from when he DID have good hair:

MV5BOWM2YzUxNDQtNzRiZi00Y2YzLTg4MmYtMzE1

No! Wait! that's 1975 and he had a receding hairline even then!

• Like 1

On the subject of the 18XL and overheating, I did a fairly taxing off-road stretch of about 3,6 km yesterday, with a nearly 80 m change in altitude, and the wheel barely went over 50º C. It's worth noting that:  1) It was 10 p.m. and ambient temperature was about 15º C;  2) There are a couple of short downhill sections along the way, but that didn't seem to affect/reduce the wheel's temperature (braking and regen a form of load, right?); and 3) about 1,3 km in, I stopped for about 10" to check the map.

It would appear ambient temperature has a considerable affect on the 18XL's cooling capacity (uninformed guess, but fits with @Marty Backe's results).

Screenshot from 2019-05-09 12-15-30e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TomOnWheels said:

Did you paint your KS ? Looks nice !

Yes. RUST-OLEUM 2X Ultra Gloss Colonial Red. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Unventor said:

It looks nice in red too.

I had considered to buy an set of side covers and top cover. With the intention to paint those and of course in (metalic) red too.

But then I went for the EUC guard solution instead. Simpler and less work. 😉 

Saved it from scratches yesyerday as I manage to do an overlean acceleration uphill when the wheel did a tyre burnout. I had breaked for a car turing and as I were to aggressive on catching my balance. A real ups, what happened and trying to play it cool picking up the wheel😊

Side note: no helmet Marty?

The amount of gear that I put on varies based on the riding that I'm doing and random inputs such as "I forgot to pack my helmet" :)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

Yes. RUST-OLEUM 2X Ultra Gloss Colonial Red. Thanks.

Marty,

Did you have to prep the wheel shell in any way before painting to get the paint to stick?  Let us know how well it holds up.

1 hour ago, Smoother said:

That's me every time (no helmet) except for the hair, unless you count my back hair, which only blows in the wind if i ride shirtless. 

You are bald right?

3 hours ago, Smoother said:

That's me every time (no helmet) except for the hair, unless you count my back hair, which only blows in the wind if i ride shirtless. 

I was expecting that sentence to end with "pantless". Thank you for saying "shirtless" and sparing me the image that my all too active imagination would have otherwise projected in my mind :roflmao:

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Smoother said:

47762189592_a55ec3bd5e_b.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/9/2019 at 8:54 PM, Unventor said:

You are bald right?

No, I'm not bald.  I'm the youngest of 6 brothers and none before me are bald or grey, so I have faith I will not also.  My hair is just very thin, as in each strand and the number of strands.  It's not a good combination.

22 hours ago, travsformation said:

I was expecting that sentence to end with "pantless". Thank you for saying "shirtless" and sparing me the image that my all too active imagination would have otherwise projected in my mind :roflmao:

Emm!  Now you've got me thinking. That plus a real cape. That would make a statement.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

What is this diode that has been mentioned several times?

Thank you.

A protection diode that EWheels had Gotway add to the charge port. You can Google "msx protection diode" to get lots more info.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:20 AM, Marty Backe said:

black and white is so boring 

Remember for a while Gotway offered some other options like red and blue? I wonder why they stopped? I think EUC companies are missing easy extra money here. Many customers would be willing to pay extra for special color shells or interchangeable accent panels with different colors.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

Do you mean to prevent sparking? If so, why does the diode prevent 100% charging?

According to @US69 "Yes, a protection charge Diode can lead to the effect that About 0,6Volt dont reach the BMS" I guess that is an inherent characteristic of diodes. I was unaware of it. Am I correct that this diode was added to prevent a spark when connecting the charger?

7 minutes ago, MaxLinux said:

According to @US69 "Yes, a protection charge Diode can lead to the effect that About 0,6Volt dont reach the BMS" I guess that is an inherent characteristic of diodes. I was unaware of it. Am I correct that this diode was added to prevent a spark when connecting the charger?

No, it does not prevent sparks. It prevents the user from blowing up the wheel if they were to somehow connect the charger with the incorrect polarity. For more in depth knowledge about diodes and electronics, best to study electronics 101.

• Like 1