My KS18XL Trials, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/19/2019 at 12:01 AM, meepmeepmayer said:

1% Gotway and 1% KingSong are not the same. It's more like 1% GW = 0.9% KS. A Gotway % is less energy than a KS %.

Gotway says the wheel is at 100% at 82.25V, so if you keep charging to 84V after that you gain an extra ~10% capacity, but it won't count higher than 100%.

I don't know what the KS formula is, but assumedly, for them 84V is 100% (unless they do the same s**t GW does, then my argument is completely moot).

So 97% on a Gotway would be equivalent to 88% (estimate) on a KS, despite being the exact same charge state (=voltage) of the battery pack.

It is exactly other way around!

On the newest 18L/XL a 0%battery on KS is 60Volt....while on a GE it is 66Volts. At least when using the producers apps...

KS on the newer 18inch wheels makes perfect usage of the battery...thats why Marty...and a lot other people experinced a very good range on the 18L/XL.

Wheellog and Darknessbot use the same 0%/Voltage relation on ALL wheels....so they dont mirror the exact approach the wheel producer is taken.

10 hours ago, US69 said:

On the newest 18L/XL a 0%battery on KS is 60Volt....while on a GE it is 66Volts.

Hm so KS says 3.0V is empty, and GW says 3.3V is empty ("empty" here = 0% in app)? And KS says 4.2V is full and GW says 4.1125V is full ("full" here = 100% in app). No wonder you get more range from the KS then.

I wonder why they do that and what is better for safety at low battery percentages, and maybe for battery life. Gotways always have been rock-solid at low battery %, until the tiltback starts, I hope they don't change that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Hm so KS says 3.0V is empty, and GW says 3.3V is empty ("empty" here = 0% in app)? And KS says 4.2V is full and GW says 4.1125V is full ("full" here = 100% in app). No wonder you get more range from the KS then.

I wonder why they do that and what is better for safety at low battery percentages, and maybe for battery life. Gotways always have been rock-solid at low battery %, until the tiltback starts, I hope they don't change that.

I think the answer to your wonderings is contained in your post.  GW says 3.3V is empty (when in reality there is usable power down to 3V) so as you drive a GW at 1% you go "wow this thing pulls right down to nothing" but it isn't nothing, it's nothing (3V) plus 0.3V.  GW knows that they still have 0.3V to handle sudden power surges.

KS reports 3V as 0% but around 3.3V (pure guess) they start to seriously throttle you back ( I mean crawling along and beeping), because they know that 3V (empty) is just around the corner.  Two different companies, two different philosophies.  Both sound plausible, depending on your corporate goals.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@Smoother I think you are spot on here. Eventually it all comes down to how har do you push red zone before empty (tank) and if you push for distance or speed and what you as company write as trotting breakpoint in your specefication. 

In the end of the day you can only use that much energy before you need a refill.

So so it comes down to what effor does it take to get yhe last teaspon of ketchup out of the bottle 😉

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Smoother said:

I think the answer to your wonderings is contained in your post.  GW says 3.3V is empty (when in reality there is usable power down to 3V) so as you drive a GW at 1% you go "wow this thing pulls right down to nothing" but it isn't nothing, it's nothing (3V) plus 0.3V.  GW knows that they still have 0.3V to handle sudden power surges.

KS reports 3V as 0% but around 3.3V (pure guess) they start to seriously throttle you back ( I mean crawling along and beeping), because they know that 3V (empty) is just around the corner.  Two different companies, two different philosophies.  Both sound plausible, depending on your corporate goals.

In fact there is no significant difference between 3.3 V and 3.0 V, because below 3.3 V voltage drops sharply as the battery is being discharged. So no usable charge is left in the cell below 3.3 V. It's easy to see on the Li-Iion cell discharge curve:

UkodS.gif

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, TomOnWheels said:

What is incredible is that it's almost not possible to see the stick... and I just can't explain how did it switch from one view to another near the guy who is standing on your left...

That's @Marty Backe pointing out the highlights by choosing the angle in post production.

I was wondering what you were feeling during that scene Marty.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TomOnWheels said:

I guess this will be my next camera ! Seeing that I'm wondering what GoPro has to offer now...

You can do the same thing with the existing GoPro Fusion although the camera is substantially more expensive and the workflow (hours in front of the computer) is awful compared to the Insta360 software. The Insta360 X is a wonderful camera to use.

Edited by Marty Backe
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Rehab1 said:

@Marty Backe are you running low on money? ;)

33477443118_532399ee6d_b.jpg

Still at 50% charged. Free of charge;)

Full charge upon request +$10:D

Added slime +30$ (delicate procedure risk fee):whistling:

Display on a rainy day in LA +$100 (due to stock space waiting for a rainy day, eta 180+ days):popcorn:

Edited by Unventor
Sorry I couldn't resist
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Unventor said:

Still at 50% charged. Free of charge;)

Full charge upon request +$10:D

Added slime +30$ (delicate procedure risk fee):whistling:

Display on a rainy day in LA +$100 (due to stock space waiting for a rainy day, eta 180+ days):popcorn:

LOL!

47354384031_ef7a35c7e1_b.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Still plenty of snow in the mountains above Southern California, even though it was about 80-degrees where I was.

IMG_1253

I remember some kids ,yelling: "you are coming from the future" while seeing me on my EUC... I really ask my self what they will say seeing you... :-)

• Like 3