My KS18XL Trials, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

3 hours ago, Lutalo said:

my 18L is an early 1st batch wheel

So is mine 😊. Just want to see the difference, that's all.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ED209 said:

Please if you can, as you have both models, a comparison would be nice. How about taking a photo of the 2 units side by side with the lights on facing out away from the camera? Or something similar. 

Pictured is the light on 18L.

IMG_20181227_184206.jpg

14 hours ago, ED209 said:

Please if you can, as you have both models, a comparison would be nice. How about taking a photo of the 2 units side by side with the lights on facing out away from the camera? Or something similar. 

The 18XL light. I will do a proper side-by-side tomorrow.

IMG_20181227_184614.jpg

16 hours ago, Seba said:

@Lutalo, would you be so kind and put both your wheels side by side and make a photo of light spot projected on the wall? :) I'm really curious and can't wait till my wheel arrive to check myself :) 

Couldn't get them side-by-side (my son was out with the L). I had to take the photos at different times. My photos exceed the limitations on the forum so I have to send two separate. Below is the 18L light projected onto a wall. 

IMG_20181227_184206.jpg

17 hours ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

I need to replace the inner shells on my 18L in the next week or so, and while it is open I am going to take the opportunity to upgrade the LED and trolley. I'll probably video the "rebuild" and will try to show the difference.

I'm very tempted to upgrade LED from Cree XP-G2 to newer and slightly brighter Cree XP-G3. I used this LED when repairing original, 1st generation of KS-18L:

Personally I liked very much this slightly warmer and much more natural 4000 K light.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, US69 said:

Would Need gyro steered light todo it better :-)

I'm afraid that gyro, servomotor etc. won't help without precise knowledge of the terrain elevation data. Compass, GPS receiver and huge digital, very precise world elevation database would be needed to control the light. Althought technically possible, would add a lot of $$$ to the EUC price. Hand flashlight is much cheaper and versatile: :)

https://najednymkole.pl/en/headlight-in-unicycle/

Of course there is much cheaper and simple solution - additional, small front wheel that tracks the terrain slope ahead. Unfortunately wheel would not be called a unicycle anymore :laughbounce2:

• Like 3

How about a small infrared laser scanning the terrain ahead, estimating the slope?

Or some kind of low-res photosensor checking the light's shape on the ground and adjusting.

Or some machine learning algorithm following the power/speed/current/etc numbers and guessing at the slope.

Or just a light on your helmet. Might work, but it's too easy;)

Edited by meepmeepmayer
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

How about a small infrared laser scanning the terrain ahead, estimating the slope?

Or some machine learning algorithm following the power/speed/current/etc numbers and guessing at the slope.

Laser distance metering would be good if combined with smart algorithm removing measurement errors etc. At least worth to try by R&D teams of EUC manufacturers.

6 minutes ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Or some kind of low-res photosensor checking the light's shape on the ground and adjusting.

I was learning more towards glasses with a tracking camera. The information could be sent to the headlight. ....... But I guess a light on your helmet could work too as long as you keep it simple. B)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jason McNeil said:

This is what's so right about KS &  Gotway, these guys are constantly tweaking/improving the Wheels. Don't think anyone put in the request for a brighter headlight, they took their own initiative to make this change. 

Agreed!

But too bad they don't think in the first place what the point of lights is, and add fully traffic-capable bright front and back lights right away. I never understood this (and so many other idiosyncrasies), it's like they build devices for space aliens and get the general idea what the point is, but never really understand exactly what they are doing.

Do they not have cars and motor scooters in China at which they can have a look to see what lights are supposed to be?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jason McNeil said:

This is what's so right about KS &  Gotway, these guys are constantly tweaking/improving the Wheels. Don't think anyone put in the request for a brighter headlight, they took their own initiative to make this change. 

Indeed. Continuous improvement. I love it. It's what the word "progress" should mean. 😀👍

They could not have expected this type of use. But they certainly should have designed for this type of use - strong enough.

And if proper lights aren't a low-hanging fruit, I don't know what could be even lower:rolleyes:

Oh well, as long as they're getting there eventually... still, some more competent and responsive company could pretty much wipe the floor with all of them. Please someone give me the millions to start a EUC manufacturer.

1 hour ago, meepmeepmayer said:

Agreed!

But too bad they don't think in the first place what the point of lights is, and add fully traffic-capable bright front and back lights right away. 

Bright reflective clothing is virtually useless at night. Wearing such clothing doesn't make you more visible to drivers because the headlights of vehicles point below the waist. You need to ride with an active light source above the waist along with reflectors and lights on the wheel.

I will point out the rotating ring of colored lights we see on most wheels are very useful to be seen by cars making a right hand turn on red at night, as most cars do not have lights that can point into the turn.

I have read quite a bit on the headlight issues with all the different wheels... I do not do much night riding but I did buy a triple bulb 6500 headlamp I mounted to my helmet (amazon under $20)... in my opinion no matter what headlight is on the wheel, nothing compares to a bright light that will shine exactly where you move your head and are looking. The best/brightest light fixed on your wheel will not help you see to the side when you need to see the road ahead when you are turning... 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, Marcglider said:

I have read quite a bit on the headlight issues with all the different wheels... I do not do much night riding but I did buy a triple bulb 6500 headlamp I mounted to my helmet (amazon under $20)... in my opinion no matter what headlight is on the wheel, nothing compares to a bright light that will shine exactly where you move your head and are looking. The best/brightest light fixed on your wheel will not help you see to the side when you need to see the road ahead when you are turning... 

Totally agree.  I have a rechargeable headlamp with a strap long enough to fit around my helmet.  It works great for night riding.  Frequently, what you need illuminated is not what the wheel is pointing at.  Also, it comes in handy when you need to be seen by others.  Drivers approaching from the left or right aren't necessarily going to see the light on your wheel which is not really pointing at them.  But they focus on you right away when you sweep them with a powerful headlamp beam.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LanghamP said:

Bright reflective clothing is virtually useless at night. Wearing such clothing doesn't make you more visible to drivers because the headlights of vehicles point below the waist. You need to ride with an active light source above the waist along with reflectors and lights on the wheel.

Really? Even my Herschel Limited all-3M-reflective backpack? :confused1:

pGsmNLq.png

Edited by houseofjob
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Really? Even my Herschel Limited all-3M-reflective backpack? :confused1:

Ooh that is that F-something 😉

I really like that backpack of your.

• Upvote 1