My KS18XL Trials, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

2 hours ago, ED209 said:

@RockyTop, Nice! do you know if that 25% offer is open to those of us in Europe? 

Sorry, :( eWheels only delivers to the US under normal circumstances.  

Edit: It would seem that they ship the larger pedals across the pond. Thanks @Siggy

I got the mat black. Although it was a hard choice. The white looks great with the new larger black pedals. The black pedals match the black pads and set the white off nicely. 

Edited by RockyTop
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, ED209 said:

@RockyTop, Nice! do you know if that 25% offer is open to those of us in Europe? 

Also which Colour did you go for?

@Lutalo,  Which colour do you favour the most? The White or Matt Black?

I like the Matte Black of my 18L over the white of my XL. Though, I am quite surprised by how much I like the white in person. It's a very nice choice. 

I chose the white because I plan to wrap the wheel. The vinyl wrap will adhere better to the harder, smoother surface of the white wheel than to the rubberized black finish.

If I was not planning to customize my XL, I would have gone Black for both wheels. 

You would only be able to tell them apart by looking at the mud flaps; nut sack Vs Donkey tooth.:D:D

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

I chose the white because I plan to wrap the wheel.

Will it be similar to the KS18s that you wrapped in blue last time? I understand that the wrapping may not happen for some time as your wheel is still new, can't wait to see the outcome of this one. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ED209 said:

Will it be similar to the KS18s that you wrapped in blue last time? I understand that the wrapping may not happen for some time as your wheel is still new, can't wait to see the outcome of this one. 

Perhaps I will start the project in February. It will allow me some time to wear out the novelty of the white that I am enjoying to a surprising degree. I'm thinking red on this one. Got it all picked out too.  :rolleyes:👍

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, RockyTop said:

I just ordered my 18XL.  Jason said they would likely ship around the end of next week. I also got a set of pedals for my KS16s. I can’t wait. 

Get them while you can! eWheels.com  $25 off, free shipping and free wrist guards for the next 4 days!  ( promo code 25OFF)

I am not a paid sponsor just a happy customer. :D

:clap3::clap3::clap3::clap3: Congrats, dude. Good move on getting the XL, and the new plats for the 16.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RockyTop said:

The black pedals match the black pads and set the white off nicely. 

Yeah. That's what I think. The black plats offer an exceptionally nice-looking contrast against the white shell. It looks really nice in person. 

Personally,  I like the more sinister, stealth appearance of the black a bit more, but I have been truly surprised by how quickly this white is growing on me. I literally didn't think that I would like it at all, but I actually really think it looks cool. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Unventor said:

Uhh careful now you almost sound like you are loving a non-Gotway wheel now 😆😉😎

Now that said maybe that is why Gotway decided to make the mint design. I forgot the name off it.

RRIIIIICOOLAAAA! no, wait. NNIIIIIKOOLAAAA! :D:D

32 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Better than the one on the 18L

Please if you can, as you have both models, a comparison would be nice. How about taking a photo of the 2 units side by side with the lights on facing out away from the camera? Or something similar. 

Edited by ED209
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ED209 said:

Please if you can, as you have both models a comparison would be nice. How about taking a photo of the 2 units side by side with the lights on facing out away from the camera? Or something similar. 

Btw:

Beside the stronger battery there is no difference at all between -latest version- 18L and 18XL (btw a limited Edition).

If your LED Lights ever give up, replacement parts then should be the newer LEDs...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

Yes sir, it's impressive. Better than the one on the 18L. Took a ride to my local grocer for a slice of Amish pie. Now, If you have ever had a slice of Amish apple pie you would know that it was worth a special trip to the store :efeebb3acc:. But, pie is tangental to the point. The light on the XL worked very well illuminating the road ahead. Enough that oncoming traffic seemed to respect me as a fellow motor vehicle - my speed may have had something to do with that too. 

@Lutalo, would you be so kind and put both your wheels side by side and make a photo of light spot projected on the wall? :) I'm really curious and can't wait till my wheel arrive to check myself :) 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Unventor said:

Uhh careful now you almost sound like you are loving a non-Gotway wheel now 😆😉😎

Now that said maybe that is why Gotway decided to make the mint design. I forgot the name off it.

I love my KS14S and the Z10. It's just that Gotway makes a lot of wheels that I really like.

3 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Yes sir, it's impressive. Better than the one on the 18L. Took a ride to my local grocer for a slice of Amish pie. Now, If you have ever had a slice of Amish apple pie you would know that it was worth a special trip to the store :efeebb3acc:. But, pie is tangental to the point. The light on the XL worked very well illuminating the road ahead. Enough that oncoming traffic seemed to respect me as a fellow motor vehicle - my speed may have had something to do with that too. 

I didn't realize that the XL has a different headlamp than the L. Than that's another reason to buy the XL instead of the L.

4 minutes ago, Seba said:

From what I know lights are the same, but older "L" models had different PCB assembly with LED of older type. This old assembly was equipped with Cree XM-L LED and has design flaw, that caused many lamps to dim significantly over time or even stop working at all. It was because of using glass substrate, that doesn't conduct and dissipate heat well enough to keep LED temperature below allowed limits. New assembly is made of amuminium substrate and King Song used newer and slightly brighter Cree XM-L2 LED. There are also small mechanical changes to the PCB that cause beam shape to be slightly different (more focused spot). So all recent L and XL units should be equipped with the same lamp with new PCB assembly. Of course I may be wrong, but don't think that King Song would install different lamps in L and XL. It would be impractical and economically unjustified.

So @Lutalo's KS18L is an older version of the wheel, but all currently shipping L and XL wheels have the identical headlamp. Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

So @Lutalo's KS18L is an older version of the wheel, but all currently shipping L and XL wheels have the identical headlamp. Thanks for the clarification.

Yip, thats how it is...

Both  L and XL have slighlty different boards than older L model, newer brighter LED lights, and much stronger trolley insides/inlays with stronger locks.

Beside the bigger battery L and XL are totally identical. 

Edited by US69
  • Like 2