Jump to content
Marty Backe

My KS18XL Trials, Tribulations, and Failures

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TomOnWheels said:

I remember some kids ,yelling: "you are coming from the future" while seeing me on my EUC... I really ask my self what they will say seeing you... :-)

"You are coming from the future........to kill us and eat our brains" (runs away screaming)

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TomOnWheels said:

I remember some kids ,yelling: "you are coming from the future" while seeing me on my EUC... I really ask my self what they will say seeing you... :-)

:) very funny. I rode past some kids the other day, and they cried out "the future is here."

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

51-miles with 31% battery remaining at the end. This wheel is amazingly efficient compared to any other wheel I've ridden. And I did a lot ~20-mph riding on this ride, with lots of wind too. 

I also used this ride to test my flat repair. I had to remove the tube from the tire to discover two punctures. I patched both and re-installed the wheel.

It occurs to me; why do many people go the route of replacing a $20+ inner tube when they can be easily patched? Hmmmm.

That is some impressive range!  

Back in my mnt biking days I patched many many tubes, often times I'd have multiple patches on a tube by the time I replaced em. I never had a patch fail. When the time comes that the slime wont save me I'll be patching before replacing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Still plenty of snow in the mountains above Southern California, even though it was about 80-degrees where I was.

IMG_1253

 

Klaatu Barada Nikto

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Marty Backe said:

I get even more stares when I'm riding with this gear on, that's for sure. A couple of months ago I heard one little kid ask his mother if I was a robot :)

Well are you?

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Smoother said:

Well are you?

Android

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Smoother said:

"You are coming from the future........to kill us and eat our brains" (runs away screaming)

Ha ha ! Yeah ,they also called me robocop one day :-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I get even more stares when I'm riding with this gear on, that's for sure. A couple of months ago I heard one little kid ask his mother if I was a robot :)

Hilarious ! I also like: "Mom, what is it ?", and Mon answering: "I don't know..." :-)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I get even more stares when I'm riding with this gear on, that's for sure. A couple of months ago I heard one little kid ask his mother if I was a robot :)

Oh, most definitely when you got the whole stormtrooper getup on. That looks crazy futuristic. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Flying W said:

That is some impressive range!  

Back in my mnt biking days I patched many many tubes, often times I'd have multiple patches on a tube by the time I replaced em. I never had a patch fail. When the time comes that the slime wont save me I'll be patching before replacing. 

I dread having to change a tire on an EUC, but I bought a new patch kit yesterday. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lutalo said:

I dread having to change a tire on an EUC, but I bought a new patch kit yesterday. 

After patching my first KingSong wheel (this wheel), it's really a piece of cake. You will hear some people say that it's easier to remove the wheel than a Gotway, but I contend that they both take about the same amount of work, just different work. A lot more screws with the KingSong. I think I prefer Gotway, but the difference isn't night-and-day.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

After patching my first KingSong wheel (this wheel), it's really a piece of cake. You will hear some people say that it's easier to remove the wheel than a Gotway, but I contend that they both take about the same amount of work, just different work. A lot more screws with the KingSong. I think I prefer Gotway, but the difference isn't night-and-day.

It was Kingsong that inspired me to buy power tools. 30 screws attaching the outershells to the body; that's a whole Lotta screws. :D

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you do when you have a flat 20 miles from home?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've had the 18XL for almost 2 weeks and ever since then I've been having sharp pain mid shin that lasts for maybe 15 seconds. My mind tells me shin splints but when I was a runner back in the day they felt more like a constant pain not sharp and quick. It almost feels like a Charlie horse or muscle spasm. Anyone else have this experience when going to a bigger wheel?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Going from V8 to the XL I had a mild pain from the sidepads but only on my first ride and it's no comparison to the pain from learning to ride EUC. Since then I never had a problem apart from the pain under the feet I have almost every time for the first couple of minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

So I've had the 18XL for almost 2 weeks and ever since then I've been having sharp pain mid shin that lasts for maybe 15 seconds. My mind tells me shin splints but when I was a runner back in the day they felt more like a constant pain not sharp and quick. It almost feels like a Charlie horse or muscle spasm. Anyone else have this experience when going to a bigger wheel?

Maybe your legs don't like the angle of the new pedals.

Edited by Smoother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Smoother said:

Maybe your legs don't like the pedal angle the new wheel is set at.2

Aren't they flat? The old pedals aren't at a different angle to the XL ones are they? I did switch the wheel setting to beginner mode to see if that helps. i like the slight lean forward when accelerating that way my heel doesn't leave the pedal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm referring to the lean (forwards or back).  If you still have the old wheel get your level device/app and see what you had and what you have now.  While you're at it measure the dihedral too (angle pedal makes with the body or from vertical, same difference)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2019 at 10:07 AM, Mossi said:

What do you do when you have a flat 20 miles from home?

I live in DC. DC is extremely accessible. Even 20 miles from home I am always near some form of public transportation: subway, bus, trolley, uber, Lyft etc. :efee8319ab:👍

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×