My KS18XL Trials, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

1 hour ago, TomOnWheels said:

I remember some kids ,yelling: "you are coming from the future" while seeing me on my EUC... I really ask my self what they will say seeing you... :-)

"You are coming from the future........to kill us and eat our brains" (runs away screaming)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TomOnWheels said:

I remember some kids ,yelling: "you are coming from the future" while seeing me on my EUC... I really ask my self what they will say seeing you... :-)

:) very funny. I rode past some kids the other day, and they cried out "the future is here."

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

51-miles with 31% battery remaining at the end. This wheel is amazingly efficient compared to any other wheel I've ridden. And I did a lot ~20-mph riding on this ride, with lots of wind too. 

I also used this ride to test my flat repair. I had to remove the tube from the tire to discover two punctures. I patched both and re-installed the wheel.

It occurs to me; why do many people go the route of replacing a $20+ inner tube when they can be easily patched? Hmmmm.

That is some impressive range!  

Back in my mnt biking days I patched many many tubes, often times I'd have multiple patches on a tube by the time I replaced em. I never had a patch fail. When the time comes that the slime wont save me I'll be patching before replacing. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I get even more stares when I'm riding with this gear on, that's for sure. A couple of months ago I heard one little kid ask his mother if I was a robot :)

Hilarious ! I also like: "Mom, what is it ?", and Mon answering: "I don't know..." :-)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I get even more stares when I'm riding with this gear on, that's for sure. A couple of months ago I heard one little kid ask his mother if I was a robot :)

Oh, most definitely when you got the whole stormtrooper getup on. That looks crazy futuristic. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flying W said:

That is some impressive range!  

Back in my mnt biking days I patched many many tubes, often times I'd have multiple patches on a tube by the time I replaced em. I never had a patch fail. When the time comes that the slime wont save me I'll be patching before replacing. 

I dread having to change a tire on an EUC, but I bought a new patch kit yesterday. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lutalo said:

I dread having to change a tire on an EUC, but I bought a new patch kit yesterday. 

After patching my first KingSong wheel (this wheel), it's really a piece of cake. You will hear some people say that it's easier to remove the wheel than a Gotway, but I contend that they both take about the same amount of work, just different work. A lot more screws with the KingSong. I think I prefer Gotway, but the difference isn't night-and-day.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Marty Backe said:

After patching my first KingSong wheel (this wheel), it's really a piece of cake. You will hear some people say that it's easier to remove the wheel than a Gotway, but I contend that they both take about the same amount of work, just different work. A lot more screws with the KingSong. I think I prefer Gotway, but the difference isn't night-and-day.

It was Kingsong that inspired me to buy power tools. 30 screws attaching the outershells to the body; that's a whole Lotta screws. :D

• Like 3

So I've had the 18XL for almost 2 weeks and ever since then I've been having sharp pain mid shin that lasts for maybe 15 seconds. My mind tells me shin splints but when I was a runner back in the day they felt more like a constant pain not sharp and quick. It almost feels like a Charlie horse or muscle spasm. Anyone else have this experience when going to a bigger wheel?

Going from V8 to the XL I had a mild pain from the sidepads but only on my first ride and it's no comparison to the pain from learning to ride EUC. Since then I never had a problem apart from the pain under the feet I have almost every time for the first couple of minutes.

9 hours ago, Flyboy10 said:

So I've had the 18XL for almost 2 weeks and ever since then I've been having sharp pain mid shin that lasts for maybe 15 seconds. My mind tells me shin splints but when I was a runner back in the day they felt more like a constant pain not sharp and quick. It almost feels like a Charlie horse or muscle spasm. Anyone else have this experience when going to a bigger wheel?

Maybe your legs don't like the angle of the new pedals.

Edited by Smoother

Just now, Smoother said:

Maybe your legs don't like the pedal angle the new wheel is set at.2

Aren't they flat? The old pedals aren't at a different angle to the XL ones are they? I did switch the wheel setting to beginner mode to see if that helps. i like the slight lean forward when accelerating that way my heel doesn't leave the pedal.

I'm referring to the lean (forwards or back).  If you still have the old wheel get your level device/app and see what you had and what you have now.  While you're at it measure the dihedral too (angle pedal makes with the body or from vertical, same difference)

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 10:07 AM, Mossi said:

What do you do when you have a flat 20 miles from home?

I live in DC. DC is extremely accessible. Even 20 miles from home I am always near some form of public transportation: subway, bus, trolley, uber, Lyft etc. :efee8319ab:👍

• 3 weeks later...