My KS18XL Trials, Tribulations, and Failures

Marty Backe

9 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

Very nice. Great video. Love the armor. I love the way the XL feels as well. I haven't yet done a range test. Most of my tests have thus far been direct comparisons with the 18L; jumping off of one and on to the other to detect dynamic differences. Happy holidays :efee8319ab:👍

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, radial said:

Great to see the XL in action and to hear your commentary!  I'm feeling optimistic about my decision to order one.  Just out of curiosity, did you buy the wheel, or do you have it from Jason for T&E?  

@radial when is yours gonna be delivered. I am linking up with @Neil (yanex) this weekend for a ride. Will you have your wheel by then?

2 minutes ago, Lutalo said:

@radial when is yours gonna be delivered. I am linking up with @Neil (yanex) this weekend for a ride. Will you have your wheel by then?

Probably not.  Last email from ewheels.com said the shipment from China was expected to make landfall in the U.S. today and that they would be shipping wheels next week.  I'll catch up with you guys soon, I hope.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Most of my tests have thus far been direct comparisons with the 18L; jumping off of one and on to the other to detect dynamic differences

@Marty Backe & @Lutalo, How does the new extension handle feel compared to original? Does it feel like it can support the extra weight of The XL when lifting the wheel?

Also do the extra large pedals really improve performance, allowing you to really exploit the wheel? 

Edited by ED209
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, radial said:

Probably not.  Last email from ewheels.com said the shipment from China was expected to make landfall in the U.S. today and that they would be shipping wheels next week.  I'll catch up with you guys soon, I hope.  

OK, cool. When it arrives We'll do one just for you sir. :thumbup:

14 hours ago, ED209 said:

@Marty Backe & @Lutalo, How does the new extension handle feel compared to original? Does it feel like it can support the extra weight of The XL when lifting the wheel?

Also do the extra large pedals really improve performance, allowing you to really exploit the wheel? 

There have been 3 iterations of the handle stem mechanism. I have had them all on my 18L. Luckily, The 18XL is fitted with the best iteration from the factory. Thanks to the premature failure of the two previous trolley versions, my 18L has the black handle as well. 

The new trolley mechanism is the best version by far. It's much thicker, stronger, better, and has longer lasting reinforcement pins along the stem. The stem alloy seems to be more substantial as well with a smoother operating telescoping function. 

Bear in mind that the handle when elevated is not a load bearing structure. The wheel is not designed to be lifted with the handle in the raised position. If the wheel is raised from the ground with the stems raised,  the mechanism will fail and you will need to buy a new handle very quickly.

The handle should always be retracted and locked before lifting the wheel from the ground. If the wheel is lifted properly it should easily last several years without a problem. 

Edited by Lutalo
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Lutalo said:

Very nice. Great video. Love the armor. I love the way the XL feels as well. I haven't yet done a range test. Most of my tests have thus far been direct comparisons with the 18L; jumping off of one and on to the other to detect dynamic differences. Happy holidays :efee8319ab:👍

So do they feel different KS18L vs KS18XL? As I understand KS have changed  algorithms but using same motor. And of course the added weight due to bigger battery pack.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Unventor said:

You are turning a few heads on that video 😎 it must be that sexy wheel. Since people can't see you face inside the helmet 😉.

Like you said you can go faster, but to me 30-35kmh is fine for me. I have my KS18L set to 40kmh warning and 42kmh for forced tiltback. And now with LP(large pedals) mod. My 19.7 km ride today took 45min in outskirts of the city, and not being in race mode. Like you ride today. 

Note: As I were typing this, your review stopped on my Tv, and it went on to this....ok it is not an EUC...But I can't help thinking of you recent crash...Then look the risk they are taking...I know pro mtb have shock absorbers but still. 

I watched the entire video. Incredible. I can't believe it was a continuous 40-minute downhill ride of insane proportions. How do those bikes withstand the torture, yet alone the body?

They make it look easy but I bet injuries are common.

@Lutalo, so how do you find the new Pedals over the old? do they allow you to shift more of your body weight on? Giving you more leverage? @The Fat Unicyclist says it only takes 10 metres to realise that the new foot plates are much better than the old, is this really true? 

• Like 1

@The Fat Unicyclist thankyou for your take on extension handle and new footplates, just read your last post, Very helpful, mouth watering information. 

I am ordering these bad boys right away!!! 

Edited by ED209
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ED209 said:

@The Fat Unicyclist says it only takes 10 metres to realise that the new foot plates are much better than the old, is this really true? 

I actually said it only takes about 10 feet...

@Mishkin convinced me to relinquish a pair to him, installed onto his 16S for him even (and with my secret pedal lube procedure included too). He has had them for 5-6 days now, so might be able to add his own comment here.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, The Fat Unicyclist said:

actually said it only takes about 10 feet...

Even better! 

3 hours ago, Marty Backe said:

I watched the entire video. Incredible. I can't believe it was a continuous 40-minute downhill ride of insane proportions. How do those bikes withstand the torture, yet alone the body?

They make it look easy but I bet injuries are common.

I am pretty sure they too are armoured up underneath the shirt.

Now I don't know what speed they are running, but to me it just looks insane. From their perspective I get they ask for more speed....But then again they are on a race track conditions not in traffic as such with cars comming out in blind spots.

So as you said in your review, 22mph or 35-40kmh is enough for me. 

@Lutalo thanks for your reply, I have to browse back a bit to find you review, I must have missed it somehow. But from what you wrote in your reply I get the added weight makes it more stable but that you need more force to turn it. As for breaking or more like emergency breaking is a key performance I am looking at. Since I ride in traffic either roads or crowded bike lanes. And cars constant are unpredictable due they are jaw dropping look at th EUC or simply misjudge it capabilities in terms on ridestyle, speed and road conditions needs. They simply do not look out for road conditions as I do since I dislike to test potholes 😀 especially water filled or muddy potholes.

• Like 1

@The Fat Unicyclist thanks for your comparison. I only test more or less straight riding, but I totally get your point of uphill and downhill riding, that you can shift forward or backwards you stance to get a more effort less ride. I have not taken this into account yet. In my size 40-41 EU size or 8 US size shoes.

• Like 1

@RockyTop, Nice! do you know if that 25% offer is open to those of us in Europe? 

Also which Colour did you go for?

@Lutalo,  Which colour do you favour the most? The White or Matt Black?

Edited by ED209
  • Like 1