Inmotion V8 Motor replacement.

Hello - has anyone changed a motor on the inmotion V8? My V8 experienced a problem & kept saying "Please Repair" when I turned it on, inmotion examined my logs & said the motor is damaged - received the new motor today and took the V8 apart (quite easy to work on) but the 2 large nuts that mount the pedal brackets won't budge - is there any specific way to undo them? Thanks for the help. 

IMG_20181221_192102.jpg

• Upvote 1

Not taking the chance with those nuts, I don't want to round them - anyway there must have been something heavy on the new motor box during transit (or banged about), because upon closer inspection the wires are sheared - so I can't use it even if I do get the pedal brackets off :-( emailed Lincy about it & just waiting to hear back - this repair is not going well at all. 

IMG_20181222_141054.jpg

• Upvote 1

Oh dear, that's no good at all.  Fancy shipping something like this and not adequately protecting this vital and fragile area. 

About those nuts; examine the thread on the new motor carefully to make sure they are conventional thread on both side, and no reverse threads. Once you are sure you know which way is "loosen" then, using the right tool, put your back into it.

By the right tool i mean ideally, a socket of the correct size with a cut out on one side to allow the wires to come out.  However, if Inmotion says the motor is dead, then you could cut those wires and use a standard socket.  BUT WAIT, THERE'S more.  Maybe don't cut those wires until you have another replacement motor in your hands.  If Inmotion says they won't send or don't have any more motors to send you will have to cannibalize the original motor for those intact (presumption) wires.  That would require opening both motors, unsoldering 8 wires off the old motor (3 power, 5 hall effect sensor), and soldering them onto the new motor (after also unsoldering its damaged wires.  It sounds extreme but it's not that bad.  I've done it.

A good fitting open jawed wrench would probably work too, but not a loose one.  A good vice grip would work too as long as you get a really hard lock on the nut. NEVER use an adjustable wrench on tight nuts.  Those things are absolute rubbish.  I call them the devils wrench.

• Like 1

Yes I'll use a proper ring spanner so the wires can go through, the threads are normal anti clockwise to remove (I checked) but I need to clamp the other side in a vice as the whole thing spins otherwise - may have to call into my local vehicle repair centre and see if they can help as I don't have a workbench. I was thinking of opening up both motors and taking the old ones wiring for the new one that's sheared off (like you said) but going to wait in case inmotion send another & want the other motor back, should get a reply tomorrow sometime - would have been easier to send a new V8 & take the other back. 

• 2 weeks later...

New motor arrived, fitting was pretty straight forward, the only part that I had a little difficulty with was removing the pedals, after removing the 2 end screws & the smaller one underneath I used an old screwdriver and hammer to whack the rod out - I was worried I'd missed something because on the disassembly videos it came out easy, but all was fine. 

Took my V8 for a 10 kilometre test ride - perfect :-) 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 8:35 PM, andreiru said:

Hey John, I need a new motor, my V8 is exhibiting the same symptoms as yours was... I wonder if I can use your second motor at all somehow... frankenwheeling it perhaps? I’m in london...

Hi, I'm in Spain - I'm going to keep hold of the spare motor (just in case), I do need to figure out how to get into it to rewire the sheared wires & also get those large nuts off :-) Is your V8 still under warranty? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It’s not under warranty. I ordered a new motor via aliexpress, now installed and all seems good. Having replaced so many parts on it, it cost me the same as a brand new wheel from aliexpress. Knowing they obliviously I would have just left it in the canal I dropped it into... it was my first wheel and I’m riding a ks18xl now, it’s quite an upgrade from the v8.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 3:17 PM, Mono said:

@John Genx Corless, where and how did you order the motor? I guess I also could use one :cry2:

My wheel motor died, Inmotion sent me a replacement (which didn't have pedal brackets on it),  they sent out a second motor as there was a mix up on their end and had sent out wrong package to me 1st time, second one arrived with the brackets - so I have a spare (if it's working - not tested).

• 2 years later...
On 9/26/2019 at 11:14 AM, John Genx Corless said:

My wheel motor died, Inmotion sent me a replacement (which didn't have pedal brackets on it),  they sent out a second motor as there was a mix up on their end and had sent out wrong package to me 1st time, second one arrived with the brackets - so I have a spare (if it's working - not tested).

Hi from the future! Just found this and was curious how much you got out of your V8? Or how many miles let's say. Also curious if you're still riding and if that means you got yourself and upgrade. Cheers!