Why I won't be buying another Electric Unicycle.

BlackM

On 12/19/2018 at 4:53 AM, Adam. said:

I think you are overestimating the safety of an ES2 in a crash. You'll just go flying over the handlebars. Anyway, its little tires and low power make it more likely to cut out on hills or slide out on anything but dry, smooth road. I'd rather ride my V8 on campus in the rain than one of the bird or lime scooters. 

I'm not talking about crashes, if you crash in to something it's your own fault. That includes driving in to a pothole or not managing to cross a ledge. Those can all be avoided by a cautious and skilled driver.

I'm talking about safety in case of engine failure or a stalled device. Things which will eventually happen if you ride several thousand kilometers the way I did with my Ninebot One.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, BlackM said:

That includes driving in to a pothole or not managing to cross a ledge. Those can all be avoided by a cautious and skilled driver.

Wait, have you ridden one of those eScooters? Even the $1200 air filled ones have small (though wide) wheels that make endos likely. While I believe the kick scooter is the easiest vehicle to wheelie (it's ludicrously easy), bumps that you wouldn't care about on a bigger EUC are potentially face planting on an eScooter.

I do believe eScooters are almost the perfect electric vehicle. More manuverable that a skateboard, foldable, safer in case of electrical failure, cheaper with greater range than any eBike, honestly except for the inadequate front wheel I think eScooters are nearly perfect.

Those damned from wheels, though...

I'm not talking about crashes, if you crash in to something it's your own fault. That includes driving in to a pothole or not managing to cross a ledge. Those can all be avoided by a cautious and skilled driver.

I'm talking about safety in case of engine failure or a stalled device. Things which will eventually happen if you ride several thousand kilometers the way I did with my Ninebot One.

It is substantially more likely that it is going to lock up rather than stall. Skill only gets you so far, even the best aren't perfect.

In an ideal world, maybe.

In the same ideal world a skilled driver doesn't fall if the engine fails or the device stalls or the wheel blocks. So also these falls can be avoided by a cautious and skilled driver, in an ideal world.

The cruel reality is that the overwhelming majority of accidents are due to road conditions, rider errors, rider overconfidence, and third person involvements, not to engine failures, flat tires, blocked wheels...

21 hours ago, LanghamP said:

Wait, have you ridden one of those eScooters? Even the $1200 air filled ones have small (though wide) wheels that make endos likely. While I believe the kick scooter is the easiest vehicle to wheelie (it's ludicrously easy), bumps that you wouldn't care about on a bigger EUC are potentially face planting on an eScooter.

I do believe eScooters are almost the perfect electric vehicle. More manuverable that a skateboard, foldable, safer in case of electrical failure, cheaper with greater range than any eBike, honestly except for the inadequate front wheel I think eScooters are nearly perfect.

Those damned from wheels, though...

This was exactly my reasoning when I opted for the Glide 2. 14" was the minimum I'd willingly take on our roads. And even with the larger wheel, it's less that pleasant in the industrial park where I work. 

Archived