Jump to content

The NYC Winter Warrior ride; or how to kill your Z10 in 7 hours and 25 miles


Hsiang
 Share

Recommended Posts

Great video as usual! 

You don't go into when the Z10 won't power back on though,... and this week's fall! 

And like I said before, you guys are crazy to be out there for hours on end without a battery warming solution! Even then, the Z doesn't have the range (50+ miles) for the "Warrior's" ride, and can't stock re-charge fast enough, .... better get a Monster for next year's ride!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Hsiang said:

This was a real endurance ride! the cold was a lot harsher on the Z10 than I had expected, I left the 2nd recharge spot with 90% battery and figured I was good, but 10 miles later I was already down to 40% and when I shut down to help someone whom fell, it wouldn't turn back on and we had to Uber the rest of the way.

 

Ouch!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, houseofjob said:

Great video as usual! 

You don't go into when the Z10 won't power back on though,... and this week's fall! 

And like I said before, you guys are crazy to be out there for hours on end without a battery warming solution! Even then, the Z doesn't have the range (50+ miles) for the "Warrior's" ride, and can't stock re-charge fast enough, .... better get a Monster for next year's ride!

I actually didn't realize that the Z10 died on me in that last clip as I shut it off with battery still showing 40-45%. I was actually still hoping to ride it to the restaruant since I figure it was enouch to cover the remaining 5 miles but nope the Z10 was done. Good thing too since the 2nd part of the cross bay road was car only and a bunch of people got ticketed for riding on the shoulder. $100 fine!

I did get to ride Tishawn's Monster, and it felt nice. But it was scary to see the cut out crash an hour later, the thing was like a cannon ball bouncing down the road after the rider ditched.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Hsiang said:

I did get to ride Tishawn's Monster, and it felt nice. But it was scary to see the cut out crash an hour later, the thing was like a cannon ball bouncing down the road after the rider ditched.

Yeah, it hasn’t been Jerry’s week, but FWIW, he said his new(?) helmet prevented him from hearing the beeps. With more seasoning, you learn how to feel the wheel and sense you’re approaching max speed, even without the beeps, by referencing the wheel hum, relative car traffic speed, etc.

On my old Monster, I used to be extra careful, because of the sheer mass and overall shell durability (lack of).

But, what’s often overlooked is that, with seat on, you can also reach for the wheel to stabilize a Monster fall, as your hand is a third stabilizing force, along with both feet, in such an event.

Edited by houseofjob
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, eddiemoy said:

@Hsiang, you had a case of the wobbles at 7:56.  Looks like during braking.  Wasn't that Jerry's Monster you were riding?

I didn't really notice the wobble, I was still hurting from the scooter fall so for the most part was not going very fast. Also with a wider/ lower stance and more practice, it only bothers me now when I am running close to Z10's max speed. I think the monster was Tishawn's, they both look the same but it was next to his camera so I assume it was his (I did ask). It felt nice and really smooth and I am curious what the new version would look like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

An electric kick scooter with air tires might be a good choice next time, as you could kick to both stay warm and extend the range.

As for the EUCs; maybe a neoprene diver shirt with some chemical hand warmers whenever needed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, LanghamP said:

An electric kick scooter with air tires might be a good choice next time, as you could kick to both stay warm and extend the range.

As for the EUCs; maybe a neoprene diver shirt with some chemical hand warmers whenever needed.

I think someone actually kicked their way along the group on a regular skate board the whole way, so definitely possible. And on long ride like this you definitely notice the shortcoming of the technology as they are. I actually did this route in reverse 2 years ago on a bicycle as part of the NYC century tour and it took about 1/3 of the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...