18 XL BT and Sensor Issue..? Maybe?

tscottn

Out riding my 18xl almost everyday this week around my neighborhood trying to unlock the full potential of the machine.    Today, for some reason the app would not stay connected.  When I would try to connect,  it would take a very long time to find the device.  After it found it , It would disconnect within a few seconds.  Couldent keep it connected at all.  Then I went home, rebooted my phone and the wheel and connected the app.  It stayed connected for a little while, and showed me this error regarding the sensor.  Turned the wheel off and on again and connected the app and the error was gone.   then it disconnected again for some reason.. not sure whats up,  since today is thew first time I have had any real issue with the app staying connected while riding.  Im wondering if something in the main board is faulty?  BTW, The wheel itself seems fine otherwise..  

also, is it normal for the app to say " Illegal Equipment" on the main page?  I know the KS app is not the best but this is the fist time I have had any issues staying connected to the wheel.  

Thanks in advance for any help.. 

IMG_5290.thumb.PNG.73220f84c9c4dc45a4f085599c3a628d.PNG 

IMG_5287.PNG

IMG_5289.PNG

Edited by tscottn

I have had a similar notification on my 18 XL "Pressure Sensor B malfunction." I have never been able to get my calibration for the trolly handle killswitch to work and assumed it was because of that. Don't worry about the "illegal device" nonsense though. I think everyone is seeing that. 

On 12/17/2018 at 3:11 PM, D3m0nzz said:

I have had a similar notification on my 18 XL "Pressure Sensor B malfunction." I have never been able to get my calibration for the trolly handle killswitch to work and assumed it was because of that. Don't worry about the "illegal device" nonsense though. I think everyone is seeing that. 

Yeah. What @The Fat Unicyclist said. I get the same message for my XL. It's no big deal. Just wait for the app upgrade and enjoy the ride in the meantime ;)👍.

THIS JUST IN...

The new Android version of the King Song App is now available (I can't comment on the iOS version, as I am not Appleiterate) and it now recognises the new 1554 Wh 18L devices.

Download the Android version from the King Song website - https://www.kingsong.com/list-30.html  

If you have problems from there, I have also made it available here - https://www.roll.nz/content/22-apps

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 1:51 PM, The Fat Unicyclist said:

THIS JUST IN...

The new Android version of the King Song App is now available (I can't comment on the iOS version, as I am not Appleiterate) and it now recognises the new 1554 Wh 18L devices.

Download the Android version from the King Song website - https://www.kingsong.com/list-30.html  

If you have problems from there, I have also made it available here - https://www.roll.nz/content/22-apps

Thanks for this!  My KS18 XL arrived today and I've spent the past few hours messing around with it.  After wrestling with the iOS app for quite a while, I switched to the Android app (thanks to your links) and it worked like a charm.  I tried to use the iOS app to change the speed and alarm settings, but never could get it to save my changes.  It just kept reverting to the Kingsong factory defaults.  In the process of failing to do what I wanted, it also generated sensor errors similar to what others were reporting upthread.  Argh!  The Android app made all those problems go away.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, tscottn said:

yes  never was fixed.. still the same issue..  

A friend and I got XL's a week ago. He called me last night and said his wheel was doing the same thing. He was using DarknessBot on an iPhone 6.   I have not had the problem. Same phone  same app. He said it would constantly connect and disconnect. 

Edit : I have a iPhone 7 and my wife has an iPhone XR no problems ......yet.

Edited by RockyTop

15 minutes ago, RockyTop said:

A friend and I got XL's a week ago. He called me last night and said his wheel was doing the same thing. He was using DarknessBot on an Ipone 6.   I have not had the problem. Same app same phone. He said it would constantly connect and disconnect. 

at first I thought it may be my phone, but my BT connects to all my other devices no problem.  I am guessing that the BT in the wheel is just faulty on some machines.  Maybe a firmware issue.. idk

1 minute ago, tscottn said:

at first I thought it may be my phone, but my BT connects to all my other devices no problem.  I am guessing that the BT in the wheel is just faulty on some machines.  Maybe a firmware issue.. idk

I just realized I upgraded to the iPhone 7. My friend has the 6. Mine works fine so far. I will have to keep an eye on it.

• 3 months later...

Same exact problem. Bluetooth connection is garbage. It rarely stays connected and after dropping a few times it won't see the wheel at all. Using latest wheel firmware and IOS app. I really hope this can be fixed with an update. Terribly annoying. Great wheel. Awful software.   Also. Darkness Bot won't see the wheel either after it disconnects a few times...

Same exact problem. Bluetooth connection is garbage. It rarely stays connected and after dropping a few times it won't see the wheel at all. Using latest wheel firmware and IOS app. I really hope this can be fixed with an update. Terribly annoying. Great wheel. Awful software.   Also. Darkness Bot won't see the wheel either after it disconnects a few times...

Sometimes I can see the wheel and the app will say "connecting" and never succeed. 

3CBD07D5-37F1-4A45-B6DE-355D06E8CD86.png

For in case it's of any use to anyone, I'll copy what I wrote a few weeks ago in another thread (with a few updates, changes and additional info):

I was having disconnection issues too with the old (orange) version of KS's app, as well as the first couple of blue ones...which is why I never really bothered using the KS app at all...among other issues such as the fact it's a massive battery hog (except the most recent version) and possibly the most buggy piece of software I've ever used :efee612b4b:

I recently installed the current version to change light parameters (for some reason unbeknown to me, the headlight switched to strobe mode and I was unable to change it using WheelLog) and that's when the real issues started: the disconnection issues also started happening in WheelLog, bad lift sensor calibration, constant beeping when left leaning against the wall, gyroscope turning off with very small lateral inclines, while trolleying, when waiting at stop lights & when mounting; the warning speed suddenly being set, with no input from my part, to 31 km/h, and the KS app not letting me change it (very annoying), etc. As I mentioned, it wasn't until I installed the new KS app that these problems appeared.

I attribute it to important differences between the version /development stage of the KS app and the firmware, which must have caused communication/instruction interpretation problems between the app and the wheel, which made the app mess up certain firmware parameters (uneducated guess, no coding knowledge). What's more, after messing things up, the app later "decided" to no longer grant me access to the wheel's settings unless I upgraded the firmware, so I didn't really have much of a choice. I upgraded the wheel's firmware to v1.12 and all of the aforementioned issues disappeared (no more disconnection problems with WheelLog either).

So it is my uneducated guess that the most recent version of the KS app is causing problems with some wheels...so if everything is working well for you, my advice is "DON'T INSTALL IT".

Also worth mentioning, I'm in no way encouraging a firmware upgrade either (I don't particularly encourage the use of the KS app at all, for that matter :efee612b4b:). If you do decide to upgrade your wheel's firmware, proceed with caution and do so at your own risk. I only did so because I didn't really have much of a choice...but I'd advise checking out a some of the threads on the subject (there are a few...) before committing to a non-reversible decision.

That being said, in my experience the fastest and safest way to do so is with phone and wheel batteries fully charged (but not plugged in), a good and stable WiFi or 4G connection, and your phone sitting on top of the wheel (in my case, the latter sped up the process considerably...better Bluetooth data transmission, I imagine).

The only benefits I see in upgrading the firmware and using the most recent KS app (aside from fixing problems that the app created in the first place :efee612b4b:) are being able to calibrate the lift sensor properly, a better app-firmware relationship and a couple of new lighting options (including the option to switch the side LEDs off). The release notes mention new speed adjustment encryption, being able to adjust speaker volume, changing tracks from the KS app when playing music through the wheel's speakers and fixing certain vibration issues. The only difference in riding I noticed after the firmware upgrade is what KS calls "cotton feel": even in expert mode there's a tiny bit of lag when accelerating, which feels like a small delay and then you're suddenly being pulled by a spring. Braking also seems to start off a bit softer, before fully kicking in. In my experience, it's relatively subtle and I don't personally find it annoying, but others have reported that they miss that instant edge/snappiness and don't like the change, so it's worth bearing in mind before upgrading.

Also worth noting, you have to recalibrate the wheel after upgrading the firmware

Edited by travsformation
  • Like 1