Has anyone had their Solowheel turn off without warning?

Cameron McColl

On 12/16/2018 at 12:49 PM, Cameron McColl said:

I’ve had a Solowheel for several months and use it to get between buildings I work in in Seattle. A few nights ago I went on a 5mile journey and right before I got to my destination it suddenly shutoff causing me to face plant. Luckily I wasn’t going full speed but I’m shocked that there is any possibility of these devices doing such a thing. I can’t find any other posts of this happening to others so I’m a bit mystified. The best theory I have is damage from water spray but all the manual says is don’t ride in heavy rain. The streets I rode on were still damp from earlier rain but nothing like heavy rain, plus I see others riding these wheels in Seattle all the time and in the rain. 

The unit is now dead and doesn’t turn on or charge.

Just curious if anyone has heard or situations like this? I’ve contacted the company and I’m waiting to hear what they have say.

Heres the post I made to my friends about the incident if you care.

Had a bit of a nightmare situation last night. Some may know that I bought a Solowheel a while back and I’ve been using it to get around the Amazon campus so I can get to and from back to back meetings in different buildings. 
Last night we had a team dinner that was 5miles from the office in Seattle and with traffic being so bad I thought this would be a fun opportunity to ride it there. I’d never ridden it so far and I wanted to see how it would handle on the rough city sidewalks.
Well I was doing just fine and was only two blocks from the restaurant when suddenly I found myself flat on the ground and sliding to a stop basically on my hands and elbows. I think I was going around 10-15mph. Evidently the unit decided to shutoff with no warning. It’s a direct drive motor which means when it shut off the wheel stopped turning.
I had zero time to react and fell like a tree except a tree travelling at 15mph as it falls. I had thought about what would happen if the machine malfunctioned and turned off and had naively thought I’d have time to react by running forward to catch myself. Boy was I wrong. I don’t even remember falling, one second I was whizzing along and the next I was sliding forward on my face. Actually it’s amazing that I didn’t face plant I must have instinctively placed my arms out as I ended up sort of in the plank position.

So what happened? Best I can tell I think the unit shorted out from water. The streets were wet from earlier rain and a few times I went though some pretty wet spots. It’s also a possibility that the battery gave out since near the end it was getting low but I don’t think that’s it since a low battery is supposed to result in a gradual slow down in speed not an immediate shutdown.

Overall I’m amazed I’m not more injured. I ripped my jacket and jeans and I have scrapes on my hands, elbows and one of my knees. This morning I’m really stiff and sore but thankful it didn’t end worse.

As for the solowheel I left it plugged in at the office last night but there was no sign of life so I may have fried the electronics. Not sure I can trust it now even if it comes back to life.

E5922A19-B7F7-45DD-A08A-3D37C27D5814.jpeg

I had mine cutoff today.  I was just starting and it shutoff.  Body planted but I always wear all of my gear so no problems at all as far as injury.  I have a Solowheel S300 which is the last version of Classic that was made.  4.0 Ah battery.  It's new, I just got this last week.  I put six miles on it yesterday with no problems.

I also have an older Classic and an Xtreme.  And yes people are still riding those ancient wheels lol.  I have also owned or own Ninebot, Gotway, Kingsong and I have a deposit on a Inmotion V11.  The Xtreme is a really good riding wheel with plenty of power. The classics have always been a little bit underpowered and spongy as far as their ride characteristic.  I'll send an email to inventist tonight or tomorrow and see about sending it back for repair.

• Like 1